Help, nails chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Wonder if anybody could help me
I’ve been a gel nail tech for just under a year now I’m mobile I used the gel bottle and never massively had a problem until recently so I’ve changed my lamp still no difference
Peoples nails chipping
Completely just peeling off
It doesn’t happen to any other brand other than the gel bottle?
Might be a silly question... I’m wondering as it’s cold and they’re always cold could they be chipping because I need to warm the bottles up first?
I would upload pics but won’t let me
If people could reply ASAP that would be great xx

Are you using The Gel Bottle lamp?
It sounds like they aren’t completely cured

It’s this one which is the same make as the gel bottle?

Attachments

• 52EF888F-D896-4B85-82FD-7839701C9D62.png
    52EF888F-D896-4B85-82FD-7839701C9D62.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 104
It’s this one which is the same make as the gel bottle?

It is made by the same company (SUNUV) but this lamp doesn't have as many LED bulbs in which TGB had added to their lamp especially to improve curing the free edge, which should prevent chipping. Although the lamp you use is similar and popular with TGB nail techs before they introduced their own lamp, there's no guarantee you'll get a perfect cure with it, especially if the client's hand placement isn't quite right.
Also, TGB should be applied thicker than most other brands. If it's applied too thin it can also chip. Could that be a possibility?
Are you dehydrating the nail plate thoroughly with pure acetone and nothing else before applying? And are you also using TGB Base and top coat?

That's a few reasons I can think of for the issues you're having. I either use Rubber Base or BIAB under all TGB gel polish and finish with Extreme Shine Top coat and have never had any problems with chipping, Lifting or peeling off. I use TGB own lamp though. (Apparently they're back in stock at the end of next week, having been out of stock for quire a while)

I am using rubber base, top coat, biab clear and 18 biab. Always use pure acetone
I push cuticles back cut them off
File with a 80 grit file
Buff
Wipe with acetone
Apply rubber base
Colour I apply quite thick (x2)
And apply biab clear over the top
Top coat
I cap etc.
I don’t have any problems with any other brand I did think maybe my lamp but it seems to have exactly same amount of bulbs?

An 80 grit file is very coarse for the natural nail. You only need to gently buff the nail plate to remove the shine, then dehydrate with acetone. Other than that it sounds as if your doing everything right. I don't personally apply clear BIAB over the top of the colour coats though. Clear BIAB is a bit of a funny product I think! It's useful for encapsulating and I have heard that nail techs do use it as you do for extra strength but I must admit I've never needed to and it just uses more product and takes longer. It might be worth omitting that layer and see if it makes a difference?

Other than that, if it's happening to most your clients, it would lead me to suspect your lamp is the issue. I use 3 brands and use the matching lamp for each system. It's a pain, but I haven't had any curing issues, so to me it's worth it. Take a look at the thread at the top of the Nail Forum titled UV Lamps Explained (why any old lamp just won't do). It really helps to explain why the right lamp is so important and makes all the difference.
I really hope you can get to the bottom of it! X

Ahhh they have worked!!
The black one is with my old lamp others are with my new lamp
Thanks to everybody for replying really appreciate it!
If you could look at the pictures and about see what you think?
Thank you

Attachments

• 47E68EC9-568B-4453-BCCC-617D89A51CB7.png
    47E68EC9-568B-4453-BCCC-617D89A51CB7.png
    838.8 KB · Views: 220
  • FC934021-6C3E-4E88-9204-E66756B82927.png
    FC934021-6C3E-4E88-9204-E66756B82927.png
    709.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 9D23ADF9-A55D-42F0-989A-E9EE85BF790C.png
    9D23ADF9-A55D-42F0-989A-E9EE85BF790C.png
    629.9 KB · Views: 217
  • A2F5717B-8389-4E67-BFD6-F07B639B7C1C.png
    A2F5717B-8389-4E67-BFD6-F07B639B7C1C.png
    733.7 KB · Views: 210
Ahhh they have worked!!
The black one is with my old lamp others are with my new lamp
Thanks to everybody for replying really appreciate it!
If you could look at the pictures and about see what you think?
Thank you

The trouble with client's own pics is that they usually aren't that sharp so we can't really zoom in and look in detail and they also don't know to take a pic looking up the barrel of the Nail from the free edge, which helps to see what might be going on.
If you're capping the nails carefully with each coat and not too thickly (even though TGB is applied thicker than other brands!) I still think it could be your lamp isn't curing the free edge properly. You could try placing your clients hands in the lamp yourself to ensure they haven't got their hands too far in. Another idea is after curing, get them to turn their hand upside down in the lamp and cure for 30 seconds. This could help with curing the free edge as well. I imagine TGB may have had this problem when they were testing lamps and guess that's why they had the extra bulbs put in their lamp. X

Ahh okay thank you!
Think I’m gonna end up buying the gel bott lamp I think and making sure people place their hands on properly ☺️
Thanks everybody you’ve been a massive help

Ahh okay thank you!
Think I’m gonna end up buying the gel bott lamp I think and making sure people place their hands on properly ☺️
Thanks everybody you’ve been a massive help
Apparently their lamp is back in stock at the end of next week! X

I’ve compared it to my friends gel
Bottle lamp and looks exactly the same place meant and the same amount of bulbs!!!

Attachments

• 6E8D88CD-4FC6-4B3C-9DF7-65822FBD650D.png
    6E8D88CD-4FC6-4B3C-9DF7-65822FBD650D.png
    774.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 0D7A1490-7075-41FA-B382-A578FD3F2407.png
    0D7A1490-7075-41FA-B382-A578FD3F2407.png
    783.5 KB · Views: 51
  • BD4E461D-0351-4CDB-82B5-FD115FFA376E.png
    BD4E461D-0351-4CDB-82B5-FD115FFA376E.png
    747.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 78626452-D997-41E4-89DB-2A5CCEB72C3F.png
    78626452-D997-41E4-89DB-2A5CCEB72C3F.png
    705.7 KB · Views: 48
I’ve compared it to my friends gel
Bottle lamp and looks exactly the same place meant and the same amount of bulbs!!!
I'm shocked!!! I've just been down to my salon and checked inside my lamp and you're right, apart from yours being black inside, it is EXACTLY the same!! - and the same number of bulbs, despite TGB's big selling point being the addition of 3 extra bulbs in their lamp compared to the one you've got!!! I'm definitely going to get in touch with TGB to clarify this!

Out of interest, does your friend have any of the problems you're getting with her lamp? x

I use the same lamp as you to cure the gel bottle (and gelish) and haven’t had any issues. I do find that the free edge is sometimes still slightly tacky so I turn my hand upside down in the lamp and it solves that issue.
I wouldn’t bother using clear BIAB after you’ve applied the colour as it’s mainly used as a strengthening base (with rubber base coat underneath) or to encapsulate glitter. You could be making the gel polish far too thick and brittle and that could be why it’s chipping x

Yes I’ll deffo try and leave the clear biab out and use 18 biab under it?
I think mine might be the placement in the lamp as people have children and their hands aren’t flat etc.
Thanks for your help xx

I'm shocked!!! I've just been down to my salon and checked inside my lamp and you're right, apart from yours being black inside, it is EXACTLY the same!! - and the same number of bulbs, despite TGB's big selling point being the addition of 3 extra bulbs in their lamp compared to the one you've got!!! I'm definitely going to get in touch with TGB to clarify this!

Out of interest, does your friend have any of the problems you're getting with her lamp? x

I know it’s terrible isn’t it!
When I looked it said partnership with the sun uv company so I looked into it and it’s exatly the same... basically just paying for the gel bottle logo it’s ridiculous.
I’ve also messaged a few of their Brand ambassadors and some haven’t even replied some are really rude and unhelpful also emailed customer service still no reply.
Disappointed:(

I know it’s terrible isn’t it!
When I looked it said partnership with the sun uv company so I looked into it and it’s exatly the same... basically just paying for the gel bottle logo it’s ridiculous.
I’ve also messaged a few of their Brand ambassadors and some haven’t even replied some are really rude and unhelpful also emailed customer service still no reply.
Disappointed:(
I've been championing their new lamp ever since they released it because I really do believe in using the correct lamp for each brand so I'll Also be very disappointed if it really is exactly the same bar the colour and logo! (And the price tag!!). I have no idea whether the internal colour of the lamp has any effect on the radiance of the bulbs, but TGB actually state there are 3 extra bulbs in their lamp - so where are they?! Let's see if either of us get a response!

This is interesting! Just looked at the SUNUV website and their lamp (presumably the one you've got?) says 36 bulbs, but TGB lamp definitely has got 39 bulbs - but so does yours! So now I'm even more confused! - Did you buy yours from SUNUV's website?

Attachments

• IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 37
This is interesting! Just looked at the SUNUV website and their lamp (presumably the one you've got?) says 36 bulbs, but TGB lamp definitely has got 39 bulbs - but so does yours! So now I'm even more confused! - Did you buy yours from SUNUV's website?
I got my lamp off amazon but it does say in their description bit that it’s from sun uv I’ll add a photo

Attachments

• DF4FE11F-1C91-4B40-90AD-F4141A3A155D.png
    DF4FE11F-1C91-4B40-90AD-F4141A3A155D.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 51AE94A2-C14E-4EC5-AC2C-08CB0CB227ED.png
    51AE94A2-C14E-4EC5-AC2C-08CB0CB227ED.png
    566.4 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back