Help - nails hurting after UV Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanmelissa

Reaction score
Hello,
I just got UV Gel Nails for the first time ever yesteday for my wedding on Saturday and my nails are hurting!!! they hurt on the sides of the fingers and when I press on the top part. Is this normal at first? and if not, what can I do?? Also, if not normal is there a way I can remove them after the wedding??????:eek:

Im sure this will be ok, It sounds like product shinkage. Im sure a more experience geek will reply shortly.

Best wishes for your wedding

Laura xx

Are you 100% sure they are gel?? How were they applied? Sounds like maybe the tips are too small for your nails and is causing pressure on your natural nail.

I am sure some more intelligent geeks will be along soon to give you more advice, hang in there xx

it does sound like shrinkage...are you 100% sure its gel...?

You would need to get them removed proffesionallly.

Have a great wedding ..xx

Here are some questions that can help us help you :D

• Did they hurt right away (i.e. as soon as the application was completed)?
  • Has the pain slowly 'increased'?
  • Is the pain on all fingers, or just a couple specific ones?
  • Have you worn enhancements before?
  • Did the technician over file your natural nails or use a 'drill'/e-file?
  • Are you on any light sensitive medication?
  • How long ago were they applied?
  • Did you go to a discount shop?

Sorry to give you the 'third-degree'! But these questions will help us to give you some guidance.

Your technician should be able to advise on removal. Some gels are not easily removable, but can be reduced to a thin layer until your natural nails grow out. If your natural nails were over filed, then this would be the best way anyway!

Here are some questions that can help us help you :D
  • Did they hurt right away (i.e. as soon as the application was completed)? No
  • Has the pain slowly 'increased'? Yes
  • Is the pain on all fingers, or just a couple specific ones? Vairing degrees on all fingers
  • Have you worn enhancements before? Years
  • Did the technician over file your natural nails or use a 'drill'/e-file? No - Nails are in perfect condition
  • Are you on any light sensitive medication? Not on meds but am actually light sensitive

Okay on a side note sorry to derail thread..... I get this prob when using Retent+ on my bare nails.. never with Radical.. my nails are in perfect nick, my application is spot on, and I barely use an abrasive after (sculpt with the brush no the file) - does this mean I am sensitive to Retention +? I can use retent+ fine if I do a file off and still have a thin layer of it on my NP but get the above when using it on bare (perfect condtion) nail.

I always get this on my ring fingers, both hands, regardless of product used....it goes away after a couple of days.

I always thought it would be down to shrinkage but then why only on these nails?

Sorry to be no help whatsoever!

I always get this on my ring fingers, both hands, regardless of product used....it goes away after a couple of days.

I always thought it would be down to shrinkage but then why only on these nails?

Sorry to be no help whatsoever!

those would be my worst fingers... ring and middle... to the point where I cannot put any pressure on the enhancement for about 24 hours... this is why I normally just file off..but I soaked off before the last set.. something I havent done for about 6 months.. now I remember why lol

If it was down to just shrinkage, there is a good chance that the feeling wouldn't have just 'gone away'. The reason being that the discomfort would have been from the external pressure of the product shrinking. The product doesn't eventually 'relax' again, which would make me think that the pressure would be more 'permanent'. This is more common with over-pinched sculpts. Once cured, the 'pinch' pressure can actually stay! Saying that, I suppose that one could 'get used to the pressure', but my instinct would be that it is something else.

To Claws answers, I would be more prone to veer toward an irritation flag. Why? Because she has worn enhancements for years, the irritation doesn't happen right away, gets worse over time (and then subsides). In this instance, I would be inclined to think an excessive wet mix ratio which takes time to penetrate the plate and eventually irritate the bed. In no way does that MEAN that is the case, however my questions would start to veer more in that general direction. Especially because it seems to happen more with one product versus another (one product may have different sensitisers that are triggering the sensation).

HTHs!

To Claws answers, I would be more prone to veer toward an irritation flag. Why? Because she has worn enhancements for years, the irritation doesn't happen right away, gets worse over time (and then subsides). In this instance, I would be inclined to think an excessive wet mix ratio which takes time to penetrate the plate and eventually irritate the bed. In no way does that MEAN that is the case, however my questions would start to veer more in that general direction. Especially because it seems to happen more with one product versus another (one product may have different sensitisers that are triggering the sensation).

HTHs!

I cant agree with the over time bit.. this happened with day one of using Retention+ so its not a gradual thing, thats why I switched to using Radical, no probs at all using it on naked nail (I only used Ret+ last set as I had run out of Rad).... The irritation with using Retent+ happens within 2 hours of application, worsening to the 12 hour point where it peaks, then ebbs and they are fine the next day.. thats been from day one.. so perhaps I am just allergic to Reten+ rather than it being an issue of over exposure? ... but also.. if I have a thin layer of retention+ OR Radical on my nail plate (file off) then I have no probs with ret+ affecting the nail around the cuticle line (where its grown out and there is no product) .... I am sensitive to acetone as well thou (it turns my nails white) so perhaps the chemicals in Ret+ are too strong? but Radical is just right? - I am curious as so far I haven't had a client who has had this trouble - but perhaps none of my clients so far have 'sensitivities' like I do.

I always thought that with L&P taking longer to cure (24 - 48 hours...or so ) than gel (2 mins normally) that shrinkage with L&P is more likely than with gel...? what i mean is...if the shrinkage in gel happens under the lamp and then thats it wouldn't the nails hurt at that time and not later on as with L&P...so is shrinkage discomfort after the cure time still possible with gel..? x

Latest posts

Back