Help! Nails not any better!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi guys! I wonder if anyone can help! in an earlier post I spoke about my nails being flaky at the sides and wasn't sure if they were classed as brittle or soft.

Well I've started using Toughen up and they don't seem to be any better. My thumbs and forefingers keep splitting right down at the stress point (something they tended to do before toughen up I hasten to add), at the base of the free edge, at the sides and I wasn't sure if using Toughen up on them was such a good idea.

My nails are fan shape so I end up having to file the sides of my nails to get an even look to my nails and so wasn't sure if the flakiness and the splitting was caused by that. Or whether its because some are brittle some are soft!!! :oops: As a rule I try not to file the sides but once they start flaking its a bit difficult not too!.
ahhhh, the pains of being a newbie! I know you're all going to be groaning at me. Every time I think I've got it sussesed it goes all wrong again.

Is there anyone out there that could help me sort out once and for all what type nails I have?

My nails in a nutshell: :oops: Apart from Fan shape, most are quite bendy (forefingers and thumb a little stronger) they flake and peel all of the time at the sides (all of them) the free edge goes translucent if I go anywhere near water! Also I tend to get little fleks of dry bits of skin on the nail on some of them.I also suffer with M.E. (chronic fatique syndrome) so my health is never brilliant.

I know I should know all this by now but can anyone pleeease help me as my nails seem to be getting worse.

What shape is best for fan nails?

I'm using cuticle eraser and solar oil every day.

Thanks
Tamm :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi

Have you tried Nail Envy by OPI ? They do about five different ones for different nail types.

I've not tried it myself, but I work for a hair & beauty supplier and that stuff flies out, we can't keep it on the shelves it sells that quick !!!

Sassy x

sassy_minx24 said:
Hi

Have you tried Nail Envy by OPI ? They do about five different ones for different nail types.

I've not tried it myself, but I work for a hair & beauty supplier and that stuff flies out, we can't keep it on the shelves it sells that quick !!!

Sassy x

Hi Sassy! I have thought about the OPI nail envy, but as I'm not sure whats causing what its difficult to know which one to use!

Tamm

Hi Tamm,

I dont think you should be expecting to see a marked improvement after only a couple of days - it takes several weeks even months for nails to grow out.

I dont know where in Warwickshire you are but I am not that far from Rugby if you wanted to visit.

Hi Tamm

I recommend OPI Nail Envy, try the original one (pale green writing on the bottle) apply it to your nails and under the free edge (if you have any) two coats to begin with then apply a coat every other day for seven days then remove it. then start again. the thing with fan nails to make them more streamlined you have to file the edges but we are all told doing this can cause weakness. do you use polish remover alot on yourself during a week? How about having a natural nail overlay with a stress strip for added strength with silk or fibreglass? hope this helps. hope this helps
smiler

Hi Tamm,

Sounds like your having a few difficulties... but don't worry!!

We will never groan at you, thats what we're all here for..... to help.

How long have you been using Toughen up? I'm sorry, i don't know an awful lot about OPI's Nail Envy, but my advice to you is to avoid strengtheners and hardeners which contain formaldehyde. Excessive use of formaldehyde can cause weakness and brittleness in the nail plate and cause them to shatter and split easily.

Toughen up contains 2% DMU which is as effective as formaldhyde but has no negative side effects. The DMU works effectively to cross-link the keratin layers of the natural nail providing strength and beauty as the natural nail grows.

xxx

Problems....

Here’s the thing...

Flakiness and brittleness is caused by dehydration and lack of flexibility... Bendiness is caused by excessive flexibility... (sounds like you have really thin nail plates)...

Dr. Geek's recommendation to you is to coat those buggers with something as your upper layers are dehydrated, but your nail plates are thin and overly flexible.

Even if its just a good strengthening base coat (i.e. Toughen Up) and a few layers of nail enamel.. that should protect the excessive loss of moisture from the top layers... but then make sure you are putting gut loads of a good conditioning oil (i.e. SolarOil) to counteract the brittleness that a strengthener can cause.

Remember:
Strengtheners=rigidity and strength. The more strength and rigidity... then more potential for brittleness and flakiness
Conditioners=more flexibility... the more flex the more potential for bendiness.

You desperately need both... Coatings on the nail plate give you both:
Coating=strength while allowing moisture to build up in plate.

Hope this helps

Flakiness and brittleness is caused by dehydration and lack of flexibility... Bendiness is caused by excessive flexibility... (sounds like you have really thin nail plates)... Dr. Geek's recommendation to you is to coat those buggers with something as your upper layers are dehydrated, but your nail plates are thin and overly flexible.

This explains why I've been having trouble sussing out whether my nails are brittle or soft! Whether they need moisture or hardening! They need moisture but what was confusing me was the flexibility, there being quite a bit. This does not mean I don't need moisture but rather that my nails are thin which all makes sense to me now!!

Remember:
Strengtheners=rigidity and strength. The more strength and rigidity... then more potential for brittleness and flakiness
Conditioners=more flexibility... the more flex the more potential for bendiness.

You desperately need both... Coatings on the nail plate give you both:
Coating=strength while allowing moisture to build up in plate.

I always thought that if nails were too flexy then it meant there was too much moisture which confused me when my nails were dry and flaky as well but I take it its because they are thin?

Well for the first time its starting to make sense to me now. It seems like a contradiction that I need both I thought nails were either one thing or another, either needing hardening or moisurising! Still a bit muddled for general use with clients in diagnosing, but as far as my own nails are concerned its alot clearer. All I have to do is keep using toughen up and plenty of solar oil and things should start improving. Does not Creative have a basecoat/formula to paint on the nails that imparts plenty of moisture or does the toughen up do that?

Can you use toughen up on its own or do you have to put enamel on top of it as its stickey? If you can use it on its own can you layer it over a period of days, or is it just a once a week type of treatment?

Any way guys I like to say THANK YOU! :D :thumbsup: :sunny:
Its really great to have somewhere to turn to when I think of all my silly questions most of which I wouldn't have the guts to go and ask to your faces!!!!! :oops: You've made me feel much better!

Tamm :shock:

How about having a natural nail overlay with a stress strip for added strength with silk or fibreglass?

As I'm completely ignorant when it comes to nail extensions as I've not got that far in my expertise yet!, Could you explain what this is, how much it would cost and what it involves etc.? :shock:

Thanks - Tamm

Hi Tamm
When l had the problem of splitting and breaking and everything else that could happen when l had my little Boy l did a natural nail overlay. Creative users may call it something else but it is applying a strip of silk or fibreglass across the stress area of your nail (where the nail leaves the nail bed and becomes the free edge) then a layer of silk/fibreglass is placed over the entire nail then resin then it is activated which means the drying process is quickened. After a few layers of resin the free edge itself is also sealed - be warned if you file your nails afterwards you will remove the seal. buffed then oil. it is a very good and gentle way of 'helping' your nails. as for the opi nail envy l used it and it is a miracle in a pot in my opinion l have never heard of toughen up (sorry guys, tell me about it) so l can not comment on this. anyone who does nail enhancements with fabric may do the natural nail overlay, as it just means you don't have tips applied first. hope this has helped. Theresa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back