Help-nails popping off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelL

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

Please help. I have been qualified in nails since October however complete this part time and cannot get my extensons to stay on!

After a week or so they are popping off. I do the right right - same for Shellac which works for me perfectly

Then I apply tip, primer, right sized nail then either gel or acrylic....but they're popping off on all customers. It is leaving me devestated and I don't want to do anymore until I know what the problem is

Any ideas?????

Just a few questions so we can try and help-
What system/systems of l&p and gel are you using?
Can you walk us through the complete process from start to finish?
Is it happening on all your clients or just some?

Hi, thanks for your questions

So my process is as follows

I prepare the nail, file, buff, cuticle work and squeak
I then apply the tip at an angle ensuring it clicks in place - I have recently started using Edge white tips which you can't tell if there's air bubbles underneath...I am wondering if this is the problem
I then apply primer to the natural nail

At this stage I use IBD gel and cure for 3 minutes, or acrylic (profile)

I buff the acrylic and paint if necessary. I always ensure that i do not get the gel or acrylic on the cutile or surrounding skin as I know this can cause lifting

I have tried putting the acrylic and gel on thicker but this does not seem to work either

Nails seem to pop off on most people I seem to have only had a couple of success stories that I am aware of. I am not getting repeat business for the extensions

The problem is the products aren't bonding with the nail plate (if they just pop off like that) and it would most likely be due to poor prep. If there's dirt, dust, grease, oil, or anything left on the nail plate, it wouldn't matter how thick you apply product, it will not adhere. I think this article will help :)

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

Do you use nail dehydrater if not would make a big difference. Just I didn't see that in your process xxx

I would say definitely review your prep... Shellac-wise, are you using Cuticle Away? Then rinsing it really well with oil-free soap and water to deactivate the sodium hydroxide? And are you using Scrubfresh? And making sure the Scrubfresh has dried off and that the nail plate looks a little 'chalky' before you start applying your base coat? And (boring, I know) but are you using the correct lamps for your systems?

Finally, have you taken a Shellac class? CND EAs are offering 3-hour Shellac Brings 'Em Back classes up and down the country - it's a theory AND hands-on, 3-hour class, at an extremely reasonable cost, and gives you not only more confidence in your application, but a beautiful Shellac practitioner certificate too. It would be a good opportunity to review your application and technique and to meet your local Education Ambassador too and ask her advice. :)

Hi Girls, thanks so much for the advice. Having looked at the preparation piece, I do feel that I am doing all of this. I do use scrubfresh, however I may not be letting it dry completely. I do not use a nail hydrator, is this not the same as a primer?

Apologies for the confusion but in my original e-mail I meant I apply Shellac perfectly. My clients love it and it lasts for weeks. I do immense preparation for this a s well and have no problems

Latest posts

Back