Help - nails split down middle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amyeg22

Reaction score
Hi,

After having shellac on my nails for about 5 weeks, they were stubborn to get off with acetone, so they have been over buffed which has caused the nails to go really thin, weak and very painful. I then had silk fabric and nail glue put on the most painful and thin nails to harden and protect them, but the other nails without the silk are now splitting down the middle.

I've been advised to put hard gel on them to help them grow, but I'm weary of having anything done to my nails as I don't want to make them worse!

I've been putting hand cream and cuticle oil on my nails but I don't know what else to do to stop them getting any worse and to heal them?

Any help appreciated !!!

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi there. Your nails look extremely sore.
You say you had shellac on your nails. I am a CND nail pro and I have been trained in shellac and part of the shellac procedure is not to file the nail beds. Your nails look like they have suffered trauma from over filing. Which makes me doubt wether you had actual shellac on your nails to begin with?
Can you contact the nail tech to take this up with them? As we would offer excellent aftercare and advice

Hi,

They used CND, but I soaked my nails in acetone nail varnish remover for acrylic nails and the shellac wouldn't come off at all or peel, so I have over buffed them (which I won't be doing again!)

This has never happened to me before when having shellac, but it was the first time at that salon which makes me think they applied the shellac too thick making it stubborn to remove maybe.

What can I do to stop my nails splitting?

Thank you xx

I think you've had too much done to them already and would hold out having anything eles on them for at least a few weeks. I would cut the nails down short so they don't catch on anything and split some more. Carry on with lots of solar oil and rescuerxx.
So what is the colour already on them? Is that the shellac or the silk?
There is the teabag nail repair method seen as your into the DIY. I would recommend seeing your CND nail technician as they would and should see your nails as you need them now for help getting your nails better x

Thank you so much for your advice. The colour on the nails that are split is Sally Henson nail rehab as I thought this may help? The colour on the other nails is the silk with Sally Henson nail rehab on top. I'll cut them short and will carry on with cuticle oil, and will see if I can get an appointment with nail tech tomorrow. Do you advise having silk put on the two nails that have split? Or just leave them short?

Thank you again x

Amyegg22,
As a Podiatrist this looks to me like onychoschizia or "brittle nail syndrome".

I suggest you keep them as short as possible (level with the fingertips) and take advice from your nail technician about aftercare.

I would not put anything with a chemical base on them until they have grown out significantly.

HTH

Latest posts

Back