Help needed advertising new stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How odd some of these replies are?
Everyone wanting to not take business from other salons, all having big group hugs.
So I guess all the let's get along and be friends people never advertise? Or have staff that are good at the job they do? You don't want to be seen as being better then those around you now do you! You might earn money, what an awful idea!
Plus I do hope that if a new customer wanders into your salons you send them straight back to the last salon they come from! Don't want to upset your other friendly neighbourhood salons.
Also in reply to a question If our salons are so **** why are we taking on more stylists?
Also its called good business to grow your salon/s to better than others around you.
This lets all be friends stuff is rubbish, if the salon around the corner can get one over on you then they will.
Enjoy looking at the world in your rose coloured specs.
Say a prayer for us at your next bible reading!

What a sad attitude to have!! When I left my last salon, I didn't poach any clients, I got new ones, Some of my old ones eventually found me but that was because I had been doing them for years and they made the effort to track me down lol!!! My last boss was also my friend and I didn't want her business to go down just because I'd decided to leave. I have made lots of hairdresser friends over the years who have helped me out, and I have done likewise. You never know when you need help so why get on the wrong side of the local hairdressers?

What an attitude! Now I see that people with such views will stop at nothing just to damage the reputation / pinch clients from others! One of my competitors in my area stole adverts from my car yesterday because they obviously see my business as threat to their pathetic little company.. I couldn't believe it but now I see that some people just don't deal with jealousy and success of others very well! You shouldn't build your business and reputation by saying that everyone else is crap and you are the best. Clients will see right through it and will never come back! Good luck, you will need it!

No bad attitude at all, it's called business.
This is our second salon and a third is coming end of this year.
So to the comments that we are crap, struggling etc I think not!

I asked a question for something that we have never done before.
Your replies were not anything to really consider, all i got was "I wouldn't like it" "it's not fair"
To all those that say they never poach/take/steal, move salons and don't take customers etc what a load of crap.
Stylists with existing clients are the holly grail!

To the person said it was unfair on the other salons in the area.
Perhaps you are being unfair to the other salons by opening up near them. Think about it!

Its seems most of you are living in a dream world and are scared, grow some balls and mix things up, your make more money and put the weaker salons out of business.
That's what business is about, and the hair and beauty world is not as friendly as you hope.

@tmh perhaps there is a reason none of your clients followed you and you had to find new ones!!!

@strawberry whatever, stole your ads? Come on really? Are they the same name as your salon?
If your advertising be care full they don't like that on here because you might take someone else's customer!
We have built our salon on rep, that's why we are expanding.
No one is saying the other salons are crap?
We are just saying we have this new stylist who has worked in the area before.
Obviously what I plan to do has got you all worried!
Let's hope that the other business people on here see your fright and follow me and get you weak annoying people out of the way!

Got to go now, just seen a baby with some candy and I'm going to steal it and then find a puppy to kick.

X

@tmh perhaps there is a reason none of your clients followed you and you had to find new ones!!!

@strawberry whatever, stole your ads? Come on really? Are they the same name as your salon?
If your advertising be care full they don't like that on here because you might take someone else's customer!
Let's hope that the other business people on here see your fright and follow me and get you weak annoying people out of the way!

Got to go now, just seen a baby with some candy and I'm going to steal it and then find a puppy to kick.

X

Business owners like you that give the rest of us a bad name!! I'm guessing you work your staff to the bone, pay them Peanuts, and dodge the taxman like crazy!!

When your so far up with your 3 salons, just remember it hurts when you hit the floor from such a height and hard!! ;) I wonder why you have new staff? More than likely because your previous staff actually realised what you like! And decided to better themselves!

Thanks for the replies.
You mention not nice because it shows your trying get other salons customers?
Of course we are, that's why everyone is in business that's why we all spend a fortune on advertising and making our salons look better than the competition.
The reason some of her clients didn't follow is because customers are lazy and won't travel unless they really have to.

I do respect all your replies but do you really think that the other salons around you care about your feelings? After all we are all in business.
As for causing gossip come on since when has the hair dressing world been so fluffy?
It's a dog eat dog industry.

X

Well if this stylist is soo good why would you need to state what salon she worked at?? Because surely if you just put a picture up saying new stylist worked locally for x amount of years would her old clients not look at and then yea ill go here now.... Because to me it sounds like its not about your stylist its about where she worked.. Ive never in my life met any stylist like you and my mates mum owns 5 salons and she has never needed to underhand other salons! any way what you are saying is just contraditicting your self if your such a succesful buisness hold a number of salons why would you need to try get the other salons custom surely word of mouth from clients at other salons and saying you have a fantastic stylist etc would be enough..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hey womble

Can i ask a genuine question from a business point of view? With the success of your salons can i ask why you need to mention another salon in your advertising? Also as i understand your stylist hasnt worked at the salon for four years so why mention them at all?

Im not wishing to cause a stir im just genuinely curious as in my limited experience, im not sure why you need to both as a successful salon owner and for the reasons other geeks have written.

Sorry not a hair geek, but this seems more like a business type thread and thats why ive commented :)

X x x

X
How very immature...

I wouldn't for the following reasons:
1. It is way too long ago that she worked nearby. If clients didnt follow her 10 miles 4 years ago, they won't now.

2. It announces to the world that you are trying to lure clients away from another salon, directly. Not nice and will turn people off you.

3. You risk the salons that you have named as losing their stylist having a pop at you and trying to lure YOUR stylists and clients away.
I know if anyone did that you me I would be furious. A big salon can easily put a little one out of business if it targets it. Pick your enemies wisely.

And this sums it up in one. if they did not follow 4 years ago why would they now??? 4 years is a long time and they will have found a new stylist by now so theres just no point in your plans

Hi Happyfeet,
The reason for us thinking about doing this -
We are wanting to let previous customers of hers that didn't follow her to the salon she is about to leave is that she is again working in the area.
She is a fantastic stylist and as such being paid well and we want to capitalise on her rep.
It is not a case of stealing customers but more a shake up of the area and letting people know.
Customers are funny and from experience will not travel far but will follow stylists from salon to salon as long as its not to far to travel.

We are only letting the area know what is on offer and for them to decide.
I dont follow the notion and comments that we are implying other salons are crap?
Customers do not care about salon politics they just care about getting a hair cut from a stylist they trust.
We are all in business to make money and if we shout a little louder than the other salons it's not our fault.

We will not wait how ever many months for the grape vine to trickle the info she is with us, we want it known from day one.
That's why everyone puts a pic with the girls name on it, to take her previous customers.
We are just looking at a more direct reminder as she has been out of the area for a while.
So if it makes us hard, ruthless, mean, nasty or any other names we've been called then so be it.
We will not wait for some one else to make the move on us.
We are all in business for one reason, to be the best and be successful and earn money!
X

@lea, so if that's true why are you worried?
Scared someone in your area will have the same idea?
Perhaps your all shouting me down because I might have given others an idea?

Is the purpose of this mass protest to make as much noise and say its a bad idea so others will not think about doing it?
Perhaps your all a little worried?

Times are getting hard and only the strongest will survive, learn to grow and have new ideas or shut up whining!

Is the purpose of this mass protest to make as much noise and say its a bad idea so others will not think about doing it?

Times are getting hard and only the strongest will survive, learn to grow and have new ideas or shut up whining!

Personally I wish you'd just shut up! End of!

@bluerinse- you've just shown how immature you are!
Making wild accusations on an open forum can get you into trouble!
We properly pay more in VAT & TAX than you make in profit.

As for staff our newest member has been with us over a year and the longest 15yrs,
Now it's non of your business but we pay over the London rate, even though we are not in London and give very good perks.
We have a very good team of over 31 staff.
So I would say we are looking after our staff just fine.

You my little friend sum up the British mentality to successful people.
If someone is doing well the must be bad.

You obviously misread my post? I said I didn't poach any clients, I got NEW ones and some old ones managed to track me down.

If your rep is so good and you earn shed loads of money, why do you need to pinch clients from the other salons? If you've made your mind up about what you're going to do then why come onto a forum to ask advice about it?

I think this thread should be closed- the op is not wanting advice just an argument. Imo whether it be right or wrong to advertise where she has worked, 4 years is a long time, most clients will have moved on- as this thread should!

Im not worried i dont own a salon personaly i was speaking from a clients point of view

@bluerinse- you've just shown how immature you are!
Making wild accusations on an open forum can get you into trouble!
We properly pay more in VAT & TAX than you make in profit.

As for staff our newest member has been with us over a year and the longest 15yrs,
Now it's non of your business but we pay over the London rate, even though we are not in London and give very good perks.
We have a very good team of over 31 staff.
So I would say we are looking after our staff just fine.

You my little friend sum up the British mentality to successful people.
If someone is doing well the must be bad.

Hi Womble, welcome to Salon Geek, this is a great forum, we come on here to get advice and give it - a lot of geeks are very successful business people who kindly take the time to advise other who are less successful (me) or working on their own. I for one value their time and experience immensely, quite often we don't agree with each other and some make stronger points than others.

I realise you came on here for specifically for a reason and asked a question regards specific laws or rules relating to advertising your new highly paid stylist and as no-one seems to know specific regulations relating to this they have told you what they would do as advice.

What you have done today is the equivalent of coming into a room where mostly people are chatting and exchanging ideas and you've shouted above them all because they aren't agreeing with you and then started hurling sarcastic comments around - all I can say is, take a step back, get to know some of our high ranking geeks (who have answered you) and 'play nice':D

And why join sg just to ask for some advice if you already had made a decsion seems odd

Hi Happyfeet,
The reason for us thinking about doing this -
We are wanting to let previous customers of hers that didn't follow her to the salon she is about to leave is that she is again working in the area.
She is a fantastic stylist and as such being paid well and we want to capitalise on her rep.
It is not a case of stealing customers but more a shake up of the area and letting people know.
Customers are funny and from experience will not travel far but will follow stylists from salon to salon as long as its not to far to travel.

We are only letting the area know what is on offer and for them to decide.
I dont follow the notion and comments that we are implying other salons are crap?
Customers do not care about salon politics they just care about getting a hair cut from a stylist they trust.
We are all in business to make money and if we shout a little louder than the other salons it's not our fault.

We will not wait how ever many months for the grape vine to trickle the info she is with us, we want it known from day one.
That's why everyone puts a pic with the girls name on it, to take her previous customers.
We are just looking at a more direct reminder as she has been out of the area for a while.
So if it makes us hard, ruthless, mean, nasty or any other names we've been called then so be it.
We will not wait for some one else to make the move on us.
We are all in business for one reason, to be the best and be successful and earn money!
X

Thanks for the reply womble. I guess for me if i wanted to make her known and if i felt like i needed to advertise who she is, most id do is simply place her picture and name in the ad and not mention her old salon. Firstly because four years is a long time. Secondly i wouldnt want to advertise another salons name in my advertisement. Thirdly id be considering the impact on how a customer would think of my business mentioning another. And fourthly whilst i know beauty/nails/hair etc is competitive and make money, i think there is/should be a level of respect towards others in our profession. Yes i do understand some fellow professionals do not respect it each but that doesnt mean i would/have to follow suit.

As said im no hair geek, im certainly not as established business wise as everyone but thats how i personally feel.

Sometimes i find these heated per se threads more interesting than others, and its because my opinions are challenged, i like to see others points of view and i learn something :) so theyre not always a negative thing :) jmho geekies :)

X x x x

Hi Womble, welcome to Salon Geek, this is a great forum, we come on here to get advice and give it - a lot of geeks are very successful business people who kindly take the time to advise other who are less successful (me) or working on their own. I for one value their time and experience immensely, quite often we don't agree with each other and some make stronger points than others.

I realise you came on here for specifically for a reason and asked a question regards specific laws or rules relating to advertising your new highly paid stylist and as no-one seems to know specific regulations relating to this they have told you what they would do as advice.

What you have done today is the equivalent of coming into a room where mostly people are chatting and exchanging ideas and you've shouted above them all because they aren't agreeing with you and then started hurling sarcastic comments around - all I can say is, take a step back, get to know some of our high ranking geeks (who have answered you) and 'play nice':D

Hang on just a minute!!
I have taken a lot of abuse for not agreeing with the other posters!
I asked a very genuine question and then because no one could actually give me a genuine answer except for "it's not nice" & "i wouldn't like it" i then have had to defend myself, being accused of calling other salons crap, ruining other salons, being told "i hope your business goes down the pan, being told we must be **** etc etc....Why? because i had the nerve to not bow down to pressure.
I have been accused by Bluerinse of dodging tax, treating my staff like **** blah blah, that seems to have disappeared now but i have a screen grab of it just incase.
This person knows nothing of me or our salons but has chosen to make stupid comments.

I asked a genuine question on something i/we were thinking of doing.
no one who posted had anything of relevance apart from attack and it seems to have been made worse because we are successful at what we do.

It seems i'm supposed to take crap and not defend myself.
We were unsure what to do until the insults started and if the people who are responsible for the comments are a representation of the salons in the UK, i find it hard to feel sorry for them if i take customers away from them.

Our salons are a business, and as such need to preform be this through advertising, offers or anything else then we have a right to do it.
Just because we are going to take a controversial route with some we will not be bullied by a few on a forum.

We treat our staff with the up most care we offer high pay and commissions on everything possible, also rewarding them very well be it pay or gifts.
This then produces the best performance from them and for our loyal customers.

Our customers do not care what happens behind the scenes, they care about the service they get once sat in the chair.
Yes our new stylist has been away from the area for a while and we are lucky to be able to add her to our team.
Of course we want everyone to know she is with us because i'm afraid she needs to earn her worth.

I just want to point out to everyone who has chosen to attack me.
Only one person actually decided to ask a question as to why would we do this from a business point of view, and that was Happyfeet.
We must be doing something right with two new salons opening in one year!

Anyone who owns a business is taking business away from the competition.
The arguments from the most who replied are hollow at best and worst two faced.
By the fact they are in business means someone down the chain is missing out and loosing customers.
So accusing me of be being ruthless is a little crazy, i/we are just getting ahead.
The salon down the road really doesn't care about me or you, if we/you go out of business thats more profit for them and one less salon to worry about.

I/we will continue to forge ahead, we are not doing anything illegal and never have, we are business making the best from bad times and succeeding, we have to constantly find new ways to keep ahead.
If people don't like this then i'm sorry, actually i'm not sorry.

Parting advice for those wearing rose tinted glasses.
You stand still and look around for too long you won't know whats hit you from behind, there are thousands of people like me and a lot bigger and more hungry in the industry.
I just decided to raise my head and you obviously didn't like what you saw.

XxX

Latest posts

Back