Help needed advertising new stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on just a minute!!
I have taken a lot of abuse for not agreeing with the other posters!
I asked a very genuine question and then because no one could actually give me a genuine answer except for "it's not nice" & "i wouldn't like it" i then have had to defend myself, being accused of calling other salons crap, ruining other salons, being told "i hope your business goes down the pan, being told we must be **** etc etc....Why? because i had the nerve to not bow down to pressure.
I have been accused by Bluerinse of dodging tax, treating my staff like **** blah blah, that seems to have disappeared now but i have a screen grab of it just incase.
This person knows nothing of me or our salons but has chosen to make stupid comments.

I asked a genuine question on something i/we were thinking of doing.
no one who posted had anything of relevance apart from attack and it seems to have been made worse because we are successful at what we do.

It seems i'm supposed to take crap and not defend myself.
We were unsure what to do until the insults started and if the people who are responsible for the comments are a representation of the salons in the UK, i find it hard to feel sorry for them if i take customers away from them.

Our salons are a business, and as such need to preform be this through advertising, offers or anything else then we have a right to do it.
Just because we are going to take a controversial route with some we will not be bullied by a few on a forum.

We treat our staff with the up most care we offer high pay and commissions on everything possible, also rewarding them very well be it pay or gifts.
This then produces the best performance from them and for our loyal customers.

Our customers do not care what happens behind the scenes, they care about the service they get once sat in the chair.
Yes our new stylist has been away from the area for a while and we are lucky to be able to add her to our team.
Of course we want everyone to know she is with us because i'm afraid she needs to earn her worth.

I just want to point out to everyone who has chosen to attack me.
Only one person actually decided to ask a question as to why would we do this from a business point of view, and that was Happyfeet.
We must be doing something right with two new salons opening in one year!

Anyone who owns a business is taking business away from the competition.
The arguments from the most who replied are hollow at best and worst two faced.
By the fact they are in business means someone down the chain is missing out and loosing customers.
So accusing me of be being ruthless is a little crazy, i/we are just getting ahead.
The salon down the road really doesn't care about me or you, if we/you go out of business thats more profit for them and one less salon to worry about.

I/we will continue to forge ahead, we are not doing anything illegal and never have, we are business making the best from bad times and succeeding.
If people don't like this then i'm sorry, actually i'm not sorry.

Parting advice for those wearing rose tinted glasses.
You stand still and look around for too long you won't know whats hit you from behind, there are thousands of people like me and a lot bigger and more hungry in the industry.
I just decided to raise my head and you obviously didn't like what you saw.

XxX

If you read that as an accusation your very much mistaken!

Anyone else spot a forum troll?

Hang on just a minute!!
I have taken a lot of abuse for not agreeing with the other posters!
I asked a very genuine question and then because no one could actually give me a genuine answer except for "it's not nice" & "i wouldn't like it" i then have had to defend myself, being accused of calling other salons crap, ruining other salons, being told "i hope your business goes down the pan, being told we must be **** etc etc....Why? because i had the nerve to not bow down to pressure.
I have been accused by Bluerinse of dodging tax, treating my staff like **** blah blah, that seems to have disappeared now but i have a screen grab of it just incase.
This person knows nothing of me or our salons but has chosen to make stupid comments.

I asked a genuine question on something i/we were thinking of doing.
no one who posted had anything of relevance apart from attack and it seems to have been made worse because we are successful at what we do.

It seems i'm supposed to take crap and not defend myself.
We were unsure what to do until the insults started and if the people who are responsible for the comments are a representation of the salons in the UK, i find it hard to feel sorry for them if i take customers away from them.

Our salons are a business, and as such need to preform be this through advertising, offers or anything else then we have a right to do it.
Just because we are going to take a controversial route with some we will not be bullied by a few on a forum.

We treat our staff with the up most care we offer high pay and commissions on everything possible, also rewarding them very well be it pay or gifts.
This then produces the best performance from them and for our loyal customers.

Our customers do not care what happens behind the scenes, they care about the service they get once sat in the chair.
Yes our new stylist has been away from the area for a while and we are lucky to be able to add her to our team.
Of course we want everyone to know she is with us because i'm afraid she needs to earn her worth.

I just want to point out to everyone who has chosen to attack me.
Only one person actually decided to ask a question as to why would we do this from a business point of view, and that was Happyfeet.
We must be doing something right with two new salons opening in one year!

Anyone who owns a business is taking business away from the competition.
The arguments from the most who replied are hollow at best and worst two faced.
By the fact they are in business means someone down the chain is missing out and loosing customers.
So accusing me of be being ruthless is a little crazy, i/we are just getting ahead.
The salon down the road really doesn't care about me or you, if we/you go out of business thats more profit for them and one less salon to worry about.

I/we will continue to forge ahead, we are not doing anything illegal and never have, we are business making the best from bad times and succeeding, we have to constantly find new ways to keep ahead.
If people don't like this then i'm sorry, actually i'm not sorry.

Parting advice for those wearing rose tinted glasses.
You stand still and look around for too long you won't know whats hit you from behind, there are thousands of people like me and a lot bigger and more hungry in the industry.
I just decided to raise my head and you obviously didn't like what you saw.

XxX

I think you will find i did not attack you , this is a forum where you come and give advice and share views , i gave you my personal opinion and my views as a client and what i would do in a buisness situation that is not attacking you that is simply a diffrent view to yours and if you read back the posts you will see it was you who first attacked people and that caused people to defend them selfs.. I dont see why i am writing this anyway as you dont seem to listen and dont want to but please do not accuse people of things which are not true and hopefully maybe you can read back through this thread and see the post i am talking about

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If you read that as an accusation your very much mistaken!

Anyone else spot a forum troll?

Yes !! Why are they coming on here just to dissmiss any advice how very strange :-/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have decided to take all of your advise and not do the advert.
Thanks for all your help and very helpful advice.

Lea, your right i'm wrong, i didn't mean to dismiss the advice!
Bluerinse, your so right and i'm wrong obviously the post you did and then deleted was my imagination.
if it is ok i would like to keep in touch just for business ideas etc, hows business going with your salon?

Thank you and End off......

Last edited:
I too have multiple salons, and can be more ruthless than you would ever imagine. I have owned my salons for 13 years. I aint no wet-behind-the-ears rookie who lives in fluffyland.

I have closed down almost all of my competitors without resorting to aggression/smears/poaching/luring. I did it by being sh!t hot at what I do, likeable, and professional.

Naming another salon in an advert is a big faux pas. It screams desperate. She worked there 4 YEARS AGO! not last week. You are gonna show yourself up big time.

Clients do care very much about the integrity of the people they do business with.

I can only advise that you proceed with caution.

Thank you persianista for the sensible reply.
:D

what goes around comes around

Thinking about the potential advert...

Presumably, as a client, I am already having my hair done somewhere else and so what will tempt me to try somewhere new?

As a client reading your advert, I would probably be more interested in knowing what will this stylist do for me, rather than being told where they have worked before.

What is the USP of the stylist?

Has she recently trained in a new technique, is she an expert in styling wedding hair for instance? Find the niche.

Make the advert appeal directly to new clients by showcasing what she will be able to do for them.

What's your demographic? Don't try to be all things to all people. With each new ad campaign, you should aim to target a specific market.

Just thought I'd chuck a few ideas out there that may also help others in a similar position.

How odd some of these replies are?
Everyone wanting to not take business from other salons, all having big group hugs.
So I guess all the let's get along and be friends people never advertise? Or have staff that are good at the job they do? You don't want to be seen as being better then those around you now do you! You might earn money, what an awful idea!
Plus I do hope that if a new customer wanders into your salons you send them straight back to the last salon they come from! Don't want to upset your other friendly neighbourhood salons.
Also in reply to a question If our salons are so **** why are we taking on more stylists?
Also its called good business to grow your salon/s to better than others around you.
This lets all be friends stuff is rubbish, if the salon around the corner can get one over on you then they will.
Enjoy looking at the world in your rose coloured specs.
Say a prayer for us at your next bible reading!

Wow, why ask for advice and then attack the people who took the time to give their honest feedback?

I think, all the others want business too, and do want to be successful, but just without targeting any specific salon.

My husband and I have been in business in a different industry and we've made a point of never speaking badly of the opposition and not naming and shaming when we've had to come in and fix others stuff ups. When one particular business made a point of bad mouthing us despite not ever meeting us because he felt threatened by our success, we never retaliated. He later became ill and semi-retired and referred his clients on to us. Do you think he would have done so if he thought he had attacked or targeted his business? Of course not! We now have the most successful business in our industry and have done so by hardwork, honesty and integrity. There is enough business for everyone. Why have a dog eat dog attitude, it will bite you in the end.

I did not attack anyone......
I was just defending my original post, others on here were twisting the reasons behind my proposed advert.

I'm really pleased that your doing so well, now the ill person is sending customers to you.
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Latest posts

Back