Help needed advertising new stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Womble

Reaction score
Hi,
We have employed a really great stylist and want to let the local area know.
She has previously worked locally about 4yrs ago and then went to a salon about 10miles from us.

When we do an ad we want to use her picture and want to say formally of X & Y
We've been told we are not allowed to do this?
Is this correct?

Thanks
X

So, I'm guessing this is not something that has come up before?
Would I be in the wrong for mentioning previous worked at salons in my advertising for a new stylist?
Would you do it? Really need any advice or help :)

I'm not 100% but this should be fine I have seen it done in my area, although it may have been an agreement/written in contract that would prevent you form advertising her new position. Hope this makes sense and helps. X

It's an unwritten courtesy in hairdressing NOT to state where they worked previously

Thanks for your replies.
Well I guess we will break with courtesy and tradition.
Thanks again

I don't think its always a wise professional decision to do so either as it's creates gossip within the salon and new clients, wanting to know why they left etc etc

So, I'm guessing this is not something that has come up before?
Would I be in the wrong for mentioning previous worked at salons in my advertising for a new stylist?
Would you do it? Really need any advice or help :)

I personally would think its wrong.... Can't you word it such a way that your new stylist has worked in the local area years previously?
That way you don't have to mention the other work place.xx

I have often seen this in the local paper, or advertised in the salon window.

I wouldn't for the following reasons:
1. It is way too long ago that she worked nearby. If clients didnt follow her 10 miles 4 years ago, they won't now.

2. It announces to the world that you are trying to lure clients away from another salon, directly. Not nice and will turn people off you.

3. You risk the salons that you have named as losing their stylist having a pop at you and trying to lure YOUR stylists and clients away.
I know if anyone did that you me I would be furious. A big salon can easily put a little one out of business if it targets it. Pick your enemies wisely.

I have seen ads like this in local papers where the have named the previous salons but the last one that i seen (few weeks back) did not mention the previous salon, and why should it? there is a picture of the stylist that clients will obviously recognise. the ad just said something along the lines of 'STYLISTS NAME will be joining MANAGERS NAME and the team at SALONS NAME' etc

Thanks for the replies.
You mention not nice because it shows your trying get other salons customers?
Of course we are, that's why everyone is in business that's why we all spend a fortune on advertising and making our salons look better than the competition.
The reason some of her clients didn't follow is because customers are lazy and won't travel unless they really have to.

I do respect all your replies but do you really think that the other salons around you care about your feelings? After all we are all in business.
As for causing gossip come on since when has the hair dressing world been so fluffy?
It's a dog eat dog industry.

X

Just out of curiosity, why did you ask for advice here, when you'd clearly already decided what you wanted to do?

If your neighbouring salon took on one of your old employees and used her to lure customers away, would you be sanguine about this, or decide to get even?

I do not wish for gossip in my salon and I've not allowed it in salons previous that I managed! It keeps a better environment and less bitching between staff, predominantly female! Causing less friction, like said above you clearly are set on displaying your staff members name and where they have come from, I hope something like this doesn't happen to you or you'd be stuffed!! And possibly out of business!

I have my own salon and due to me not deliberately upsetting anyone throughout my 21 years of hairdressing i have got alot of friends in the industry who have helped me along the way.
It's important we stick together and respect each other, that's exactly why site's like these are so great, we can pick each other's brains and support each other. No matter how experienced we are, we all across problems we haven't had to deal with before.

I've learned alot in business in the last few years, and one of them is to be clever and ambitious, but not to back stab people to become success ful!

I get along with other salon owners around me just fine. Clients like nice, honest people. You can make plenty of money AND retain your integrity in business.

Really don't lower yourself into thinking that you need to play at "dog eat dog" to get ahead. Unless you are a huge salon, a rival can really do you some damage.

I wouldn't like it if other stylists were trying to pinch my clients or lure them away in this way, It's almost as if you're advertising that your salon is crap because you can't keep your own clients so want to pinch theirs lol!!

If she is as good as you say, then surely word will get around and she can build up her own client list?

Just seems that what you're planning on doing is unfair to the other salons in the area .

How odd some of these replies are?
Everyone wanting to not take business from other salons, all having big group hugs.
So I guess all the let's get along and be friends people never advertise? Or have staff that are good at the job they do? You don't want to be seen as being better then those around you now do you! You might earn money, what an awful idea!
Plus I do hope that if a new customer wanders into your salons you send them straight back to the last salon they come from! Don't want to upset your other friendly neighbourhood salons.
Also in reply to a question If our salons are so **** why are we taking on more stylists?
Also its called good business to grow your salon/s to better than others around you.
This lets all be friends stuff is rubbish, if the salon around the corner can get one over on you then they will.
Enjoy looking at the world in your rose coloured specs.
Say a prayer for us at your next bible reading!

Everyone wanting to not take business from other salons, all having big group hugs.
So I guess all the let's get along and be friends people never advertise? Or have staff that are good at the job they do? You don't want to be seen as being better then those around you now do you! You might earn money, what an awful idea!
Plus I do hope that if a new customer wanders into your salons you send them straight back to the last salon they come from! Don't want to upset your other friendly neighbourhood salons.
Also in reply to a question If our salons are so **** why are we taking on more stylists?
Also its called good business to grow your salon/s to better than others around you.
This lets all be friends stuff is rubbish, if the salon around the corner can get one over on you then they will.

I sincerely hope that no one ever does this across you....because it would cripple your salon and you'd proberly be bitter for years to come! I think we are all looking at it from a city view not a country view like yourself from Dorset, but obviously like said you've made up your mind and your happy with that, good luck with your ideas!

I shall remember not to give my advice freely to you again!

Of course we all want our salons to grow, but you don't have to have that attitude make ourselves successful, prob best if you don't ask us nice people on here for advice again then if you know it all...

You remind me of an old boss of mine Womble, ruthless...and out of business!!!

Well just from reading that comment i wouldnt want to come to your salon, your whole attidude just makes me think you obv arnt going to make your customers feel that comftable or at ease of im to go to a salon i go to recomended ones i wouldnt go to one who said we have someone better than the salons down the road.. I have been to salons like this in the past and ive never been back.. I dont think its about salons getting one over on you and thats how you get clients its about proffesionalism and if you can do your job good and are friendly and make them feel special then you will keep your clients and there going to recomend you, people dont want to feel like there in the middle of cat fight.. But if think that getting clients is about slaging off other salons etc then good luck to you because you will need it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back