Help needed on Acrylic Sets

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah wilson

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but is there a target time I should be aiming for before launching myself on the unsuspecting public doing acrylic nail sets. Obviously I know if they are sat there hours on end they won't come back, I've heard people saying 3/4 of an hour, but I would be doing a lousy job if I did it that quick. I'm probably in the 1 1/4 hr to 1 1/2 hr mark is that too slow?

I'm really starting to doubt I can do this for a job and I really want to, every set i've tried this week on my trainer hand i've been fingers and thumbs, i've even managed to file myself never mind the trainer hand.

Can anyone recommend anything other than another career?

hi sarah

differant people take differant times i guess its all about confidence really if you feel like you can do a good enough set of nails in that time then dont worry.

i took about 3hrs to do my sister when i first started out and they were still awful.

most peeps will probably just say practise practise practise. the more of this you do the better.

hth x

I know what you are going through. To be honest, if you are doing sets in 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours, then you are doing them good.

I believe in quality rather that quantity. Think about what you would expect from a salon. Would you go to someone who did them quick but badly, or longer but better?

I have been doing nails for nearly 2 years and only now am i really okay with the nails i do, the only thing i can suggest is that dreaded thing of practice. The more you practise the more you will improve. Its good to have your nail trainer, but you really cannot substitute for real hands and nails. You will gain alot more experience from having models, so maybe offer cheaper sets of nails while you are gaining confidence?

Keep going with it, you will get there. I was told you only really start to produce good nails when you have done about 50 fullsets. Give yourself time, you can do it.

thats not too slow at all thats just fine, if you go into some salons they want you to do a set much faster as it earns them more money, but it doesnt mean you are producing your best work, and anyone doing a set in 45 mins is prob using an e file, which I presume from your post that you are not, or they could be using white tips.

I have been doing nails now for 7 years. My first set took 4 hours to do start to finish, now my time is 1 hour.

I think it should always be the quality of your work and not the quantity of time it takes to finish your work that should matter........

take care lvey
xx-xx

who the heck is telling you 45 mins, the standard industry time is 1 1/2 hours. as long as you can do a great set of lasting pink and whites inside 2 hours, i'd say that was acceptable. there are very experienced techs who can do them in around an hour and also bodgers who skimp on prep and finish.

I think we should also bear in mind that sculpting can take less time also:)

It takes me nearly two hours to do a set, but I have been told that I come across very professional and care about not damaging my clients nails, to me when you set out to do a job it should be done correctly and not at record speed.

I agree about the trainer hand its great at the beginning, but I found after a while that I was not really practising as the nail plates were all the same so I thought I put product and tips on the trainer and dont get any money so I may as well use a model, at least I get feedback on how they have lasted and whether there is lifting.

I think doing them in the time you do is brilliant

We're learning this at college at the moment and we've been told it should take 2 hours.
I can see it taking me a week the way I'm going!

Latest posts

Back