Help needed on Catholic Weddings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been searching the internet now since 8am this morning and can't find what I'm looking for.

My daughter needs to do a project on Catholic weddings (rites, rituals etc). I have found most of the info, but there are two things I can't find and would appreciate if someone can help me.

She needs to state WHERE the tradition of Catholic weddings come from and WHAT makes Catholic weddings unique ?

I would appreciate any help that you can give me. She needs to hand in the project tomorrow !!

Thanks

Marlise

Catholics must take 9-12 months to prepare for their marriage.........this time is called the Pre=Cana period.

Catholics can only marry someone whos never been married before. This bit is odd: Two Catholics that have been divorced cannot marry each other in the catholic church. However, a Catholic can marry a non Cathoic dicorcee in a Catholic hurch

Still trying to find out the other stuff.

Catholics must take 9-12 months to prepare for their marriage.........this time is called the Pre=Cana period.

Catholics can only marry someone whos never been married before. This bit is odd: Two Catholics that have been divorced cannot marry each other in the catholic church. However, a Catholic can marry a non Cathoic dicorcee in a Catholic hurch

The Catholic Church does not recognize divorce. So if you marry in the catholic faith and get divorced you can never re-marry in a catholic church again. However, you still can remarry in a CE church or a civil service.

This is why Henry 8th (I think that the right king) brought in Church of England, so that he can divorce his wives and remarry, not having to chop their head off anymore.

Marriage is the final holy sacrament you make, I think the others are baptism, first holy Communion (conformation) and if you are a priest then the sacrament they make to be a priest.

The Catholic Church does not recognize divorce. So if you marry in the catholic faith and get divorced you can never re-marry in a catholic church again. However, you still can remarry in a CE church or a civil service.

This is why Henry 8th (I think that the right king) brought in Church of England, so that he can divorce his wives and remarry, not having to chop their head off anymore.

Marriage is the final holy sacrament you make, I think the others are baptism, first holy Communion (conformation) and if you are a priest then the sacrament they make to be a priest.
Yes thats the right one:)

Cheers adele,

My pre-wedding talks with father adams must have sunk in somewhere. although I was lucky and didn't have to do months and months, we just saw him a few times but he had married all of my husbands family and burried a few as well.

Thanks for the replies girls, but I've got most of the info on what needs to happen before the wedding and what happens during the wedding.

What I need to know is how the tradition / rites of the Catholic wedding came about and what makes the Catholic wedding unique / different to other weddings.

PLEASE HELP ME !! I'm losing the will to live with this.

Thanks

Marlise

The first reference to marriage is in (I believe) Gen 2:21-25

Where it states "The LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed."

Catholic teachings on sexual morality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia take a look at this :green:

This also tells you about the sacrament of marriage

Sacrament of Marriage - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online

hope this helps a bit - will keep looking for you xx

Shall I use the above as the thing that makes Catholic weddings unique ?

I'm not clued up on religion, but I don't think the above applies to the majority of other religions, or does it ?

Marlise

I Googled and came up with this:

"A Catholic wedding is unique in that it cannot be held outdoors - The reason being, Catholicism holds that the purpose of the wedding ceremony is to seek God's blessing and presence in your marriage, and to do that, the wedding must take place within sacred walls."

Now don't take this as gospel (*LOL* - excuse the pun), but it was the only thing I could find that mentioned the uniqueness of a Catholic marriage compared to others.

I'm still looking into the history part of it for you!

As a matter of interest, (well I found it interesting!) the Bible doesn't actually say you can't get divorced, it doesn't like it, but allows divorce for Adultery, nothing else..... the 'innocent' partner is allowed to remarry but the 'guilty'
party isnt! Also, Annullments are considered 'non-biblical' and something made up by the Catholic Church giving other reasons for the marriage to end rather than just the one that Jesus said was ok to get divorced for - Adultery!

Fascinating stuff this!
Jackie

finally!
Someone mentioned the marriage at Cana.... start there and youre on the right road :wink2: However.... weddings were not started in 0 AD - you would have to go way back to the Jewish/Hebrew religion to dig deeper into that - but the catholics would start at Adam and Eve I'd say ; )

What makes it unique is that you are simply celebrating your marriage under the eyes and with the permission of the Lord (there is no higher being to sanctify a cathollics wedding vows) Suggestion: get your daughter to visit the catholic church in her area... they'll help her surely with the info

BTW: I married a Lutheran and we only had a 1 day pre-wedding course , it is not true that a catholic has to have a year to prepare for marriage - all one needs is a recent issue of a baptisimal certificate and a letter of freedom from the parish priest where you were baptised. My husband only needed to present his lutheran baptisimal papers.

I loved getting married in a catholic church because of all the ceremony and I do believe that when entering such a serious thing like a marriage then one needs all the blessings and good wishes one can get and if God happens to be one of the well wishers then bring it on...!!! . My husband couldnt have given a jot eitherway but knew it was important for me to take my fourth holy vow in front of family and friends (and I even used my communion mother of pearl hair combs to attach my veil! Mwaahhh). The church was amazing and the feeling of all that tradition was simply beautiful - actually it was the one part of the day that truly belonged to us - cause the minute we walked down that aisle we were everyone elses!!! lol!
Cait xx

I Googled and came up with this:

"A Catholic wedding is unique in that it cannot be held outdoors - The reason being, Catholicism holds that the purpose of the wedding ceremony is to seek God's blessing and presence in your marriage, and to do that, the wedding must take place within sacred walls."

Fascinating stuff this!

Jackie

Thanks for that Jackie. I read that somewhere today in one of the many searches that I did, but it didn't click at the time.

Tell you what, the fascination wore off about 20min into the research. My head is thumping !

Marlise

Shall I use the above as the thing that makes Catholic weddings unique ?

I'm not clued up on religion, but I don't think the above applies to the majority of other religions, or does it ?

Marlise
That was the point of my post...........I think it's unique.

Well i never what a religious lot we are lol. Actually i fo9und this really interesting but then i was brought up catholic but you do it parrot fashion when your a kid and dont understadn teh sentiment behind things.

Well i never what a religious lot we are lol. Actually i fo9und this really interesting but then i was brought up catholic but you do it parrot fashion when your a kid and dont understadn teh sentiment behind things.

So true Scatty xx when I was about 8 or 9 we were learning about the end of the world and how all the good people would go to heaven and all the bad would go to hell, so we should always repent our sins and go to Mass etc.

I tentively put my hand up and said "but what happens Mrs Timbrel if we can't go to confession and you do something wrong ? can you rush up to God and ask for forgiveness???"

To which she replied "No you will go to hell with the rest of the heathens" :eek:

So geeky ones:twisted: :lol:-:twisted: don't mess with me:evil: :twisted:- it's official and was confirmed "I'm a baddun":evil::lol::evil:

some bits come back tho from time to time but I've got so much more interesting junk (for me imho) going on in my dizzy head that I just can't remember it all :lol:

Here's a useful bit of info. A Catholic priest can marry a couple in the eyes of the Lord, but unless there is a registrar present or the couple also marry in a registry office it's not legally recognized.

A C of E vicar is also a registrar (so can preside over the signing of the register), but not a catholic priest. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your help girls, much appreciated :hug: :hug:

The project is done, my head hurts and my daughter is happy.

It's tough working full time, part time and doing high school all over again !!

Marlise

I'm not Catholic.....but have girlfriends who are and have attended a few weddings and ....... just wanted to add.....I know the weddings are REALLY LONG ! ...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back