help needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahlouise

Reaction score
hi geeks,
today whlie i was at work i knocked my nail (rather hard)ouch!!:cry:
i soaked it off to re do (as half the tip came off when i knocked it) anyway it has split my nail just below the free egde onto the nail plate,the split has not reached the side walls it is not painful now nor red but not sure what to do about it as i want to put a new tip on but unsure if this nail could get infected any advise would be great,thank you x

If your natural nail is still intact, and your hyponichium is still intact after the bash, then there should be no risk of infection. I would put a thin layer of Acrylic over the natural nail but not tip or extend it. Let it grow out for a week until its up at the free edge then you will probably be okay to tip again.

The risk of tipping is that you have a weak spot which would be a horrible place to 'properly' crack the nail if you give it another bash.

thats what I do when clients have this problem. hth's xx

yes my natural nail still intact!will carry out your advise! thank you! (feel silly with tips on rest) but like you said i could bash it again and it may crack! do you think if i silk wrap this nail it may be worth while as well as thin layer of acrylic?

Not sure, I dont really know anything about silk wraps, maybe another geek could advise on this. Generally I think acrylic would be enough though:).

I know what you mean about it looking odd - I would take down the length of all of them so it doesnt look so obvious.

xx

ok thank you,will take your advise not to tip for a week anyway(even if i look silly) but rather that than have that nail cracking off.anyway thanks again for your help:hug:

yes my natural nail still intact!will carry out your advise! thank you! (feel silly with tips on rest) but like you said i could bash it again and it may crack! do you think if i silk wrap this nail it may be worth while as well as thin layer of acrylic?
You could do it this way but there is no point really if you are going to keep it short until it has grown out the damage, a thin layer of L&P will be just fine

i agree with jax,just apply a thin layer of l&p to help protect the nail while it grows out.there shouldnt be any risk of infection its just that if you re tipped it you could make it painful.only you know how it feels and how long you want to leave it before you extend it again.i broke mine the other day,i cracked it along the free edge first and i didnt get to it in time before it broke.i was gutted as it was my real nail but ive only got myself to blame.hope it gets better soon.

i agree with jax,just apply a thin layer of l&p to help protect the nail while it grows out.there shouldnt be any risk of infection its just that if you re tipped it you could make it painful.only you know how it feels and how long you want to leave it before you extend it again.i broke mine the other day,i cracked it along the free edge first and i didnt get to it in time before it broke.i was gutted as it was my real nail but ive only got myself to blame.hope it gets better soon.

thanks tracey i have done what jax advised..looking better already;)

Latest posts

Back