Help needed with Bio Sclupture infills please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teebster

Reaction score
Would someone please be able to give me some advice on Bio Sculpture infills.

I am taking by first Bio Sculpture assessment in November and today a lady who I have been practicing on (always toes before this set of finger nails) came up to me at the school gate and said she was unhappy with her nails. I painted her finger nails in a navy blue Bio Sculpture colour two and a half weeks ago and she was really pleased with them at the time (so was I). She is due for an infill but would not keep the last appointment I had made for her before the weekend, she said she would re-schedule for sometime this week.

When I looked at her nails, on her index finger the gel lifting along the cuticle, so hands up I have done some thing wrong although it was not attached to any cuticle and leaving a clean edge but lifting? Why? The rest of her nails where good and still shiny but in need of an infill (she had not touched them or re-applied top coat during this time).

The lady was very clearly not happy and said it was catching on everything which then made me feel really nervous in case it did catch accidentally and pulled causing damage to her natural nail underneath, so I asked if she would come round today and let me see to her nails but she said she did not have a lot of time today but would call round and I could repair that one lifting nail for now and she would re-book for later in the week.

The problem was, and not helped because I was nervous as she was v. unhappy with the lifting, that when I came to buff the gel down it just kept peeling away and by the time I could get the gel to stop coming away from the nail it was now almost half way down the nail.

I did infill this one nail, which made the rest look obviously odd and she has promised to come back on friday, but she said when she comes back she would like new nails put on not infills as if that much came off when buffing there is no point, its is too fiddly and time consuming, not smooth enough (oh no I really thought it was and thought I did a good job) and I caught her cuticle area with the buffer which she said really hurt. I did, I know I did, I said sorry but I am sure it did hurt, I am not saying it didn't.

What did I do wrong to make so much gel come off in the first place - it was just peeling back the more I buffed. I need to practice infills for my assessment and have not had this prob. before even in bright red on other people or on this clients toes. I have read (at least I thought I read somewhere) that infills aren't recommended for bio sculpture any more, but I have to do them for my assessment so I may be talking la la and just got that wrong.

What do you professionals do when that much gel comes away. Do you do infills or do you just soak off and re-apply. It takes me ages to soak off and ages to buff down so I can't win.

By the way I am obviously not charging anyone for there nails or treatments as I am asking them if I can practice and not yet qualified, but I do know that is no excuse at all for bad workmanship.

Any advice any one can give me would be really appreciated.:cry:

Don't worry chick.. it takes a while to master gel application.
You may have just applied it as bit too thicky.. a few thin layers would be better. If you apply it too thick it may not cure properly and tends to lift.

The most important part is the prep. I have to say I had problems with lifting at the start too and didn't like the executive base so I don't use it anymore and have never have problems with lifting. (although you might have to use this as part of your assement)

I would ring Bio sculpture and tell them you are having problems... they'll be happy to talk you through it and let you know where you are going wrong, but don't be too hard on yourself.. you have to make mistakes so you can learn:hug:

If I had any Bio clients that had any lifting at the cuticle edge then it would be easier to soak that nail off and re-do from scratch.

Bio gel does not buff down very well at all when there is lifting so it is easier to just soak it off. It is quite rare for bio to lift at the cuticle edge but when it doesnt it is quite difficult to work out why. It sounds as if you dont normally get this either. If they have been fine for 2 weeks then it is very possible that it is something that she has done.

It does sound to me that this lady is being very ungrateful especially if you are doing them for free and have explained to her that you are still training.

Dont panic, you sound as if you are doing fine but do clarify with Bio exactly what you will be assessed on.

If I had any Bio clients that had any lifting at the cuticle edge then it would be easier to soak that nail off and re-do from scratch.

Bio gel does not buff down very well at all when there is lifting so it is easier to just soak it off. It is quite rare for bio to lift at the cuticle edge but when it doesnt it is quite difficult to work out why. It sounds as if you dont normally get this either. If they have been fine for 2 weeks then it is very possible that it is something that she has done.

It does sound to me that this lady is being very ungrateful especially if you are doing them for free and have explained to her that you are still training.

Dont panic, you sound as if you are doing fine but do clarify with Bio exactly what you will be assessed on.

she does sound very demanding to give you a hard time when you have not even charged her.

id say she probably stubbed this finger nail and bent it causing it to pop off the nail plate in the centre and begin lifting in the cuticle area. this would be why it peeled off to half way down when you filed.

when a client comes for a maitenance appointment, i first look at all the nails and see if any are in need of soaking off. i wrap these up with cotton wool soaked in product remover and foil. i then work on filing the remainer of the nails. by the time i have prepped the others, the soak off is about done.

it sounds like you are doing it right, i think perhaps the client just has slightly unrealistic expectations. try to re educate her into understanding that occasionally this situation is bound to arrise.[ unless she lays down on the sofa for 2-3 weeks between appointments :lol:]

When I looked at her nails, on her index finger the gel lifting along the cuticle, so hands up I have done some thing wrong although it was not attached to any cuticle and leaving a clean edge but lifting? Why? The rest of her nails where good and still shiny but in need of an infill (she had not touched them or re-applied top coat during this time). Lifting in this area indicates that the gel had not adhered to the nail properly in the first place. I would say that you either didn't remove cuticle effectively or there was some oil on the nail plate. The other option is that you used Executive base and this was too far down the nail plate. it should only be in the centre and the gel needs to over it completly and have a good 2mm margin on prepped and cleansed nail plate.

The problem was, and not helped because I was nervous as she was v. unhappy with the lifting, that when I came to buff the gel down it just kept peeling away and by the time I could get the gel to stop coming away from the nail it was now almost half way down the nail. Initally you should have filed, gently, with a spongeboard, BEHIND the lifting. If indeed the gel was attached to the nail further in then this would have removed all the lifted gel without tearing and pulling further gel off the nail plate. If it continued to lift, then you have pocket lifting....possibly caused by incorrect prep of use of Executive Base and your best option then is to immediately remove the enhancement/overlay and replace.

I did infill this one nail, which made the rest look obviously odd and she has promised to come back on friday (this is where yu should retail the matching varnish and give her her full aftercare instruction), but she said when she comes back she would like new nails put on not infills (I always replace Bio if its not fully sound on the nail. Bio train you to replace more regularly than other systems anyway, so that is not a problem, As it soaks off so quick there is no damage to the natural nail by doing this) as if that much came off when buffing there is no point, its is too fiddly and time consuming, not smooth enough (oh no I really thought it was and thought I did a good job) and I caught her cuticle area with the buffer which she said really hurt. I did, I know I did, I said sorry but I am sure it did hurt, I am not saying it didn't.

What did I do wrong to make so much gel come off in the first place Its just a learning curve - al our gels were dire in the first place When i look at the set that actually got me an A grade in my assessment I wonder how and why! Focus on that prep and practise...you will get better so much quicker than you realise! - it was just peeling back the more I buffed. I need to practice infills for my assessment and have not had this prob. before even in bright red on other people or on this clients toes. I have read (at least I thought I read somewhere) that infills aren't recommended for bio sculpture any more, but I have to do them for my assessment so I may be talking la la and just got that wrong. Yes, you are expected to infill for your assessment, but you wouldn't lose marks by identifying that a nail needed repalcing and doing so to ensure a good service.

What do you professionals do when that much gel comes away. Do you do infills or do you just soak off and re-apply. It takes me ages to soak off and ages to buff down so I can't win. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes to soak. Try a quick buff first to break the seal, then wrap the nails in gel remover on wonderwipe and wrap with foil. Then place in a warm area....they should loosen very quickly.

By the way I am obviously not charging anyone for there nails or treatments as I am asking them if I can practice and not yet qualified, but I do know that is no excuse at all for bad workmanship.

Any advice any one can give me would be really appreciated.:cry:

Have put you some answer up above in Red. I hope they help you. Please try not to beat yourself up so much....it sounds to me like perfectly ordinary teething troubles when first learning Bio Sculptur, and you are no different to anyone else. Your clients should be aware you are training and especially if they aren't paying, should make allowances. (Incidentally I would actually charge them a small amount....it covers the cost of product and does make them value and look after their nails better!) And don't forget just how many clients don't treat their nails well.....there's a good chance that your lady had had her teeth pulling at the edge of that...I'm sure! And she woulnd't admit it, if she did!

I'm sure you will do fine in your assessment. You can also call your educator and talk it through with her.

I learnt a lot by reading reading reading on here when i first started. I've attached a few threads to get you started.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/36925-bio-sculpture-lifting.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/40934-bio-sculpture-help.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/29057-bio-assesment.html

Good luck....let us know how you get on x

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone for their replies it is really appreciated. I will work through what you have all said and make sure I am a lot more carefull and pay more attention to detail in the future, there is so much I hadn't even thought of (just don't have the experience to have come across it before), so it sounds like i really need to work on quite a few things but your advice is invaluable and brilliant.

As far as client's and their nails, I am already realising they never seem to admit to doing anything that they shouldn't, so I would never know if it was really something she had done but she constantly had the lifting edge in her mouth feeling it with her teeth whilst talking to me, but I it is hard to resist something that is annoying you I guess in all fairness to her.

Once again thanks so much. XX

Dont worry to much as your still learning, there are some good advise thats been posted and i find that bio are really helpful, so they will be happy to help if you have any problems.
As for timing, again dont worry. the more you practise and the more you do your timing will improve. ive been doing bio for nearly 2 yers and ive got my times down in the last few months that i and my clients are happy with.
Dont let her get to you either, if i wasnt paying for my nails to be done like she is and there was a problem i wasnt be annoyed and demanding.

Dont worry. xx

Dear Caz,

Thanks for your support, after thinking about it today I do feel maybe she was a bit unreasonable especially as the treatments are free and I bend over backwards to fit her in when she wants, its just awfull when someone approaches you in public (at the school gate first thing in the morning, your never prepared and just freeze) but I guess thats how it is with clients and I am finding it hard enough to find people who will let me practice on them for free, so I hate to think what it would be like to find paying clients and Bio products aren't cheap so I am swollowing all the cost. I will just carry on practice, practice, practice and I as you say I have some great advice to get on with.

If you don't mind me asking what are your times now and do you remember what they were? Soaking off and buffing down is my big problem - don't know why I am doing exactly what I should be.

Thanks Tonia x

p.s. Harley is so cute but I notice your very tired so I am soooooo not broody!

Dear Caz,

Thanks for your support, after thinking about it today I do feel maybe she was a bit unreasonable especially as the treatments are free and I bend over backwards to fit her in when she wants, its just awfull when someone approaches you in public (at the school gate first thing in the morning, your never prepared and just freeze) but I guess thats how it is with clients and I am finding it hard enough to find people who will let me practice on them for free, so I hate to think what it would be like to find paying clients and Bio products aren't cheap so I am swollowing all the cost. I will just carry on practice, practice, practice and I as you say I have some great advice to get on with.

If you don't mind me asking what are your times now and do you remember what they were? Soaking off and buffing down is my big problem - don't know why I am doing exactly what I should be.

Thanks Tonia x

p.s. Harley is so cute but I notice your very tired so I am soooooo not broody!

Arh thanks....im just tired with working and doing everthing else around the house. He's a little munchkin, i love it!.

My times for new set of colour/french overlays are about 45 mins, and extentions are about hour & half.
infills take me about an hour, when ive done a soak off the client has always wanted a new set on after which take me about hour & half. to be honest i cant remember what they were when i first started out, think overlays used to take me about hour & half.
Yea i know what you mean about Bio not being cheap, but i do like the quality of the product, and the service at my local bio centre are brill, cant falut them.
If you ever need a chat, just pm me. xx

Teebster, I've sent you an invite to come and join us in the Bio Sculpture social group. Most of our seasoned Bio techs are on there and we chat about some great things and swap lots of ideas. I think you'll find it really useful x

Thanks Lyndsay, I would love to join and thanks for your help it was brilliant. Tonia x

Latest posts

Back