Help needed with choosing gel polish brand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails and beauty by Rhi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm qualified but want to practice on myself before I practice on family/friends and eventually be self employed.

I'm thinking of buying a cheaper brand of nail polish to practice on myself rather than investing £100s that I don't really have and not make any money for months.

Would this be the right thing to do or an a better off saving up and investing it all and hoping for the best?

Thank you!

X

You mention nail polish. Are you talking about standard nail polish or UV/LED gel polish?

If you are talking about gel polish then I would recommend doing your research into what brand you think will suit your business and invest into it from the start. You don’t need to have loads and loads of colours to start with, especially if you’re just going to practice on yourself to start with.

A lot of brands do a trial kit that includes base coat, top coat a few colours and prep solutions etc. You will also need the correct lamp for the brand you use (don’t be tempted to buy a “universal” lamp as it must be one that has been tested by the brand to cure their products). You can add more colours gradually as you go along.

There are so many cheap, poor quality products out there and they will usually contain very high levels of HEMA and acrylates, which if exposed to the skin over time can cause serious allergies. Stick with professional only brands that require proof of your qualifications before letting you buy from them. I would avoid brands not manufactured in the EU/USA for this reason. Look for brands that have their own lamp and offer a full training programme.

You mention nail polish. Are you talking about standard nail polish or UV/LED gel polish?

If you are talking about gel polish then I would recommend doing your research into what brand you think will suit your business and invest into it from the start. You don’t need to have loads and loads of colours to start with, especially if you’re just going to practice on yourself to start with.

A lot of brands do a trial kit that includes base coat, top coat a few colours and prep solutions etc. You will also need the correct lamp for the brand you use (don’t be tempted to buy a “universal” lamp as it must be one that has been tested by the brand to cure their products). You can add more colours gradually as you go along.

There are so many cheap, poor quality products out there and they will usually contain very high levels of HEMA and acrylates, which if exposed to the skin over time can cause serious allergies. Stick with professional only brands that require proof of your qualifications before letting you buy from them. I would avoid brands not manufactured in the EU/USA for this reason. Look for brands that have their own lamp and offer a full training programme.

Sorry I mean gel polish!

Yes I think that will be best to wait and invest - I'm debating between CND Creative play or INK London!

Really would like a brand that offers different colours and updates their colours regularly!

Xx

I used cnd shellac in the past and found clients gels would lift much sooner than expected even with the right nail prep. Gelish works really well for me! Definitely worth paying the extra money

Latest posts

Back