Help needed with Iontophoresis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Okay here it comes - the start of a load of twaddly beauty questions from me, but hey how else can I learn more and get things clear in my head!

So I'll start with galvanic! I am fine with desincrustation and starting with negative polarity then switching to positive for a minute or two to stabilise the skin, I think I have all that sussed.

It's Iontophoresis that I struggle with, just as I think I have it clear in my head it goes all fuddled again.

I know that you use a positive gel with the anode, and the negative with the cathode. BUT if you use a negative gel then does this not produce an alkaline reaction to the skin akin to desincrustation? Or am I confusing the two and that with Iontophoresis this reaction does not take place and it is purely about which direction the ions and current is travelling?

I just cannot get my head round this one!

Okay here it comes - the start of a load of twaddly beauty questions from me, but hey how else can I learn more and get things clear in my head!

So I'll start with galvanic! I am fine with desincrustation and starting with negative polarity then switching to positive for a minute or two to stabilise the skin, I think I have all that sussed.

It's Iontophoresis that I struggle with, just as I think I have it clear in my head it goes all fuddled again.

I know that you use a positive gel with the anode, and the negative with the cathode. BUT if you use a negative gel then does this not produce an alkaline reaction to the skin akin to desincrustation? Or am I confusing the two and that with Iontophoresis this reaction does not take place and it is purely about which direction the ions and current is travelling?

I just cannot get my head round this one!

I think you are confusing the 2 Sass,Iontopheresis introduces collagen and elastin into the skin.Its microcurrent so you can use whatever products that are suitable for the clients skin.I.e depending what machine you are using.

Sometimes you use certain gels with the machine in negative position but if you use ampules(oils) you would position the machine in positive.Check your manual if you are using a different machine than you did on your course.They do vary.HTH

Thanks Babs that's what I thought. Poor Kim tried over and over to get it into my little head, and I think this was my last little niggle. So basically with Iontophoresis all I have to do is make sure that I use the same polarity of gel as the active electrode?

By jove I think I have it sussed now, I was just confusing myself!

Thanks Babs that's what I thought. Poor Kim tried over and over to get it into my little head, and I think this was my last little niggle. So basically with Iontophoresis all I have to do is make sure that I use the same polarity of gel as the active electrode?

By jove I think I have it sussed now, I was just confusing myself!

Yes,always check first though.Just remember that all it's doing is pushing the product deeper into the skin and obviously improving the skins elasticity,condition.Easy if you remember it like that.:)

My god its that long since I was at college I thought I had heard the last of the anodes & cathode confusion. I remember you just switched to positive and whatever cream you used it would help to tighten the pores and hold the product within (as the 2 poles repel it would force the product into the skin)

desincrustation was the deep cleansing action forcing out the impurities using a negatively charged gel/product.

So scientific - bringing back loads of memories in the lecture theatre.

thanks hun, I've got it clear in my head now thanks to Babs, I was just confusing myself with the two different treatments. glad I've taken you down memory lane!

Lol, I'll soon be able to talk 'I' whatever the treatment is to you!

Just doing High Frequency, Indireict high frequency and vacumn suction at the mo! God confusing or what?

Glat you got it sorted in your head Sass. XX:)

Latest posts

Back