help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neat nails

Reaction score
Hi my name is Mandy and im a board house wife!! thats untill i discovered acrylic nails, and nail art, :) i live in Brighton and am a mum to three lively boys all under the age of three. as you can imagine life is pretty hetic. i have recently started a course on nail sculpturs acrylic and over lays, and am having a bit of a problem. I have done loads of friends and my mums for the practice, only problem is they keep lifting from the base of the nail. What am i doing wrong?? its so frustrating. the nails go on fine i have no problem with blending, they look lovely when they are done then start lifting after a few days... i would also like to say how excited i was when i found this site, haraghhh there are more geeks out there.

Hi Mandy,

welcome aboard.

What products do you use - what are your prep steps.

It is very difficult to know if you are doing anything wrong until we know what you are doing.

Best advice - dont beat yourself up.

Hi Fiona, well at the momment im using both star nails acrylic liq and pink powder it was on special at the whole salers, i do use a primmer this also by star nails.. it dose not seem to matter if im using tips and overlays onr doing a nail sulpture using a nail form, :huh: Maybe i should try another product? is there any thing you recomend

Hi Neat Nails and welcome to the board

Probably best not to try lots of different products at the moment as if you're not applying the product properly in the first place you'll get lifting no matter what you use :rolleyes:

Do you thoroughly prepare the natural nail before you apply your tip and product, ie remove surface shine and dehydrate?

Are you applying your product to thick around the cuticle and side wall areas?

Are you touching the surrounding soft tissue when applying product?

What you have to remember is, lifting is the baine (?) of all nail teks lives at some time or another, and most of the time I think you can safely say it's either down to techniqe or initial prepping. Have a look at your technique and prep and just keep on practising ;)

In the meantime, don't give up hope as we've all been there :D

Adele

Hi Mandy,

As Adele says it comes down mostly to prepping the nail. I have tried various different products - not Star Nails though so I dont know the range of theirs. The one product I would recommend - whatever company enhancement products you use is Creative Scrubfresh. I have tried other nail preps from other companies and although I dont use Creative L&P system, I would not be without my scrubfresh.

......from one nail tech newbie to another :) I am a mum to two children under 3 and am currently doing a course in acrylic nails. Could it be that you are getting product over the cuticle area as this can cause lifting at the base of the nail. I always do this, I have got to get used to controlling the product better, lol.

I am not sure if that will help at all but I hope that it does :D

Take care

Hazel

Hi Mandy,

I was also having that trouble, I was trained over 11 years ago but I'm just getting back into things, so was a little rusty, I was having the same problems with lifting. I was applying too close to the soft tissue and cuticals, looked absolutly wonderful when i was finished!!! but after a few days or a week they had lifting :(

I have since changed my technique and make a little road between the product and the cutical, works wonderful and no lifting :D

Also really nice to meet you Mandy, I just found this site a little while ago and I love it!!

Kerrie :)

Hi Mandy,
The only advice I can give you is to change products. I had exactly the same problems as you. I was using the same product as you are and had problems no matter what I did. I was at the giving up stage. I did a creative conversion course and my nails changed over night. I know we are always told to keep on practicing with the same product but I wasted a lot of money with that product.

Sharon x

Looks like this really is one area where we do have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

From other postings on this thread I see that I'm not alone in having suffered the morning after the night before - everything perfect on the night - then a day later 'Lifting'!!!

I used to be much more heavy handed with the product - but as I've gone on I've realised that you can apply smaller amounts of product and get much better looking nails - and they really are strong, so no need to plaster it on!

Although I have qualified I do consider myself a novice, a trainee - but I will get there in the end.

Please feel free to take a look at my little site from time to time.

http://uk.msnusers.com/NailMates

Love
&
Success

SUE
xxx

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I will keep practicing i think the advice about making a road between the acrylic and the cuitical is a good thing to remember.. maybe i am being to heavy handed with the products. Thank god i have lots of people to practice on :D incase you are totaly confused i have had to re registar in a different user name as i was having problems logging in :rolleyes: as you can imagin withdrawal symptoms were setting in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back