Help on starting out please....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debsi75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just passed my FDFC & I am qualified as a beauty therapist, I have bitten the bullet & I am due to go part time from working in a call centre in a few weeks & I can't wait.
I really want to concentrate on doing nails & beauty but i am not sure how I get started :confused:
I have my insurance but what else do I need? Do I need to register for Vat & tax etc....... I just don't know where to start. I want to advertise to do mobile treatments but I don't want to get caught out by not doing things the right way.
Would you recommend renting space somewhere or just doing mobile?

Any advice on how you got started & what obstacles you came across would be great as I really want to do this right but I'm just not sure where to start!!

Debbie

Hi Debbie - gosh I am getting confused I have never come across so many Debbies in one place LOL.

You only need to register for VAT if you turnover about £52,000 so I think you are a long way off needing to do that LOL.

You need to let the tax man know you will be self employed as well as your other job.

If you have room at home you could set up there - I never got the hang of mobile - all that driving around and what if you forgot something essential LOL.

Do some flyers and get them everywhere you can think of that ladies go.

Good luck.

Hi debbie i rent space but i am not vat registerd i think the amount went up to what u r aloud to earn to either £55 thousand or £60 cant actually remember but i am down as self employed and have an accountant to make sure all my books r correct HTH

I rent a little room in a sunbed salon, and have found that to be better than being mobile. At least when you're in a fixed place,people know where you are!!

I put a load of flyers out, and made a board to stand outside the shop, so people could see where i was if they wer driving/walking past. It's still a bit slow, but like everyone says, a lot of the work you'll get will be by word of mouth.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do !

Thanks for your advice, there is just so many things to think of.
If you rent a space what sort of things do you need to have? Insurance etc?? I'd love to do it but I'd hate to forget something that's really important :o

Regards
Debbie x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back