Help! onycholysis on nail after Brisa overlay on my toes!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanita

Reaction score
When i took classes in l+p, we also had a class where we learned to do Brisa gel overlay. A girl in my class did gel overlay on my toes, and now i saw one on my toenails was like discolored on the one side. I took a closer look, and it was onycholysis... I wasn't thinking, as i was shocked over having this - and i removed the part of the nail that was loose. Under, i expected the nailplate, but gues what was there: GEL!!! OMG, gel directly on my nailplate, i guess the girl who did the gel overlay on me, filed so much on the nailplate that there was no nail left to put gel on, and layed it right on the (i dont know what its called, but when its no nail its the nailbed/nailplate, right) nailplate. And it wont grow out with the nail, its stuck right on my nailbed! What am i supposed to do? Will my nail ever get fine again? Im in full panic now!!! :eek:

Firstly ... the nail plate is the nail ... made of keratin.
the nail bed is where the nail plate sits ... made of specialized skin folds.

Your nail will recover and it will not kill you to have had gel applied directly to your nail bed although how this can have happened with out your knowing it is beyond me!:eek:

The nail matrix isnt damaged so your nail will be fine you just have to wait for it to grow out :rolleyes: I cant believe you didnt feel it when she laid the gel over it! You think that you hurt like a you know what!

One of the things I have noticed with overlays on toes, is that clients who have them, grow their toenails much longer.

Longer toenails means more pressure on the end of the toenails and this can lead to onycholysis. Save your long toenails for sandals only ... if you are wearing shoes with closed toes, then keep your toenails shorter.

Ok, i keep mine short and i do myself a weekly spapedicure. So its not because of pressure or anything.

The reason i had gel on them, was because i was on a class, and a student trained on me. Yes, it hurted, but i thought it was the filing, because she was filing so much. I watched as she did it, but from where i sat, i couldn`t watch it closely. So she did the brisa gell overlay on my toes, and it looked nice so i didn`t think more about it before i suddenly now, a couple of months later, saw my nail was lifting and under it was gel. When i pressure my finger on it, it hurts so its right on the nailbed. It won`t grow out if its lying directly on the nailbed. (the reason i mixed the words nailbed and nailplate is because im used to the norwegian words, not the english words).

So, it won`t grow out, thats why the nail lifted because it was gel on where the nail should grow out on.

I just wonder what to do. I have to remove the gel. Will Product Remover take gel too? Cause its different than acrylics. Im not educated in gel, so i don`t know much about it.

I dont do gel either but I have been looking into brisa and believe it is a buff off gel so it wont soak off like l&p

Gel is not designed to stick to your skin. After 2 months, it cannot be sticking to your skin ... there must be nail beneath it. Leave it alone and let it grow out naturally ... it will.

Well, i hope it will be fine, but i thought the reason my nail was lifting was because of the product under. So, it hasn`t grown out or disappeared. I guess i will wait for some days more, and then if its still there i will go and see a professional (i don`t know whats the word in english) pedicurist.

Thanks for answers. :)

Latest posts

Back