Help, over processed hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnemyPlatypus

Reaction score
I moved to a new city recently and subsequently went to a new hairdresser after some research. They had really nice pictures on their portfolio so I thought there wouldn’t be a problem. Quickly I came to realize it was quite the mistake when she applied 30 vol. bleach all over my blonde, previously bleached hair, and set me underneath the heater. My hair is naturally a darker blonde, and it can lighten to a really nice pale yellow with just 20 volume developer and no heat. My hair is stringy and snapping off at the ends. My mom’s hairdresser said I should use protein reconstructors to at least make it more manageable (I know it probably won’t heal it entirely), but I don’t know what brand is good. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Find a salon that provide Olaplex services. They will also be able recommend an appropriate shampoo and conditioner. Try not to over wash your hair, keep heat styling to a minimum, if it's necessary then make sure you use heat protection.

How awful for you. Sounds like she’s a hairdresser who hasn’t really got a clue what they’re doing. You should never use bleach with heat, ever!

As @ronray suggests, you could find someone that uses Olaplex products and have a deep conditioning treatment.
Protein treatments can help improve elasticity but if it’s stringy and snapping, it’s probably too damaged to be repairable and you might be better off cutting it to just above that point.

How awful for you. Sounds like she’s a hairdresser who hasn’t really got a clue what they’re doing. You should never use bleach with heat, ever!

As @ronray suggests, you could find someone that uses Olaplex products and have a deep conditioning treatment.
Protein treatments can help improve elasticity but if it’s stringy and snapping, it’s probably too damaged to be repairable and you might be better off cutting it to just above that point.
Find a salon that provide Olaplex services. They will also be able recommend an appropriate shampoo and conditioner. Try not to over wash your hair, keep heat styling to a minimum, if it's necessary then make sure you use heat protection.

Thank you both!! I’ve been devastated since I left the salon, and terrified to even touch my hair. I’m not sure of the extent of the damage yet, but I’ll definitely look into a place that does Olaplex treatments. I appreciate everything!!

Thank you both!! I’ve been devastated since I left the salon, and terrified to even touch my hair. I’m not sure of the extent of the damage yet, but I’ll definitely look into a place that does Olaplex treatments. I appreciate everything!!
I'll second what AcidPerm said about a cut too. If your hair is damaged to the point of no help then cut it off. It's much more heartbreaking to see damaged hair getting worse over a few weeks in front of your eyes, than shorter than you'd like hair, looking healthy and strong, that'll grow back over the next few weeks. Food for thought.

I'll second what AcidPerm said about a cut too. If your hair is damaged to the point of no help then cut it off. It's much more heartbreaking to see damaged hair getting worse over a few weeks in front of your eyes, than shorter than you'd like hair, looking healthy and strong, that'll grow back over the next few weeks. Food for thought.
I’m considering it, it just breaks my heart because I’ve been growing out a buzz cut for about a year and a half now. I’m hoping it’s not damaged beyond repair, but if so I’ll go back to a pixie. I’ve always lived by the mantra “it’s just hair and it’ll grow”, but it just sucks to see all my progress basically gone to waste :( I still really appreciate all the advice!

In the meantime, start researching for a new hairdresser.
Glossy professional looking photographs used in advertising could be stolen from anywhere unless it’s clearly the salon in the background so I wouldn’t pay too much heed to them.

Whenever I’ve moved, I usually look for shop staff who have a great hair cut or colour and then whilst I’m paying for an item, I’ll often compliment their hair and ask who does it, not just the salon name. Next, book in for a trim or conditioning service and arrive early to see how they treat their other clients. Is it a good relaxed atmosphere? Chat to the person sat next to you in the waiting area and ask if they’ve been coming here a while etc.?

I know everyone uses social media for advertising but I still prefer a personal recommendation.

Latest posts

Back