HELP!! Overlays on toes...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flurryfish2003

Reaction score
Hey all,

Next week I have to do my first set of toe overlays (as a salon where I am getting a new job at), I am an overlay virgin, so I need some tips or advise on how its done. My basic knowledge is to apply the white or glitter along the natural nail tip, then apply pink over the top. My questions are ;

How much pink do i use, just a thinner overlay than usual?
Where do I put the bead?
Do i need to prep and buff the nail as much as I would a finger nail?

Ladies- your advise would be brilliant as I dont wanna mess this up :)

Thanks xx

Hey all,

Next week I have to do my first set of toe overlays (as a salon where I am getting a new job at), I am an overlay virgin, so I need some tips or advise on how its done. My basic knowledge is to apply the white or glitter along the natural nail tip, then apply pink over the top. My questions are ;

How much pink do i use, just a thinner overlay than usual?
Where do I put the bead?
Do i need to prep and buff the nail as much as I would a finger nail?

Ladies- your advise would be brilliant as I dont wanna mess this up :)

Thanks xx

Basically your prep is the same as for fingers and your application is the same but there is no need to build any arch.
Good luck x

prep as normal, however there can be alot of build up on toes and the finished result looks so much better when its all removed so i do make those cuticles nice and tidy.

are you using L&P or gel...?

They don't need to be built up like you do finger nails as feet don't wash up, clean or anything else that can cause breaks.

The more pink than white rule is still applied and i tend to do a very gentle curve of the white....No deep smiles.

use a small amount of product and this makes it easier to remove for infill's/new overlays.

you'll be fine x

as a newbie I have had real success with l/p toes - its gives a smashing result and is ssssssssoooooooooo much easier doing a little curvey line than smile lines on fingernails. it really has given me confidence.
It does take a while to find a comfortable way of working esp. if you haven't got a pedi stool
good luck

I'm finding the French look on toes is really popular this summer and is easy to acheive; follow the advice in this thread, esp. regarding cuticles as it does build up on toes and can affect your product by causing lifting if you leave it on.

Let us know how you get on, I'm sure you'll be fine x

You also want to apply as thin as possible ....(thick acrylic on toes hurts in regular shoes) also as said it makes for easier fills/changing of colour/new overlays......

I normaly only work with L&P, but for french toes i use Gel, i find it much easier and faster :)

do you need a smaller brush to do this, especailly when your doing the white?

xx

do you need a smaller brush to do this, especailly when your doing the white?

xx

I don't know about everyone else....but I use my regular sized brush...( square ,size 8 ) just smaller beads....

I use gel on toes rather than l&p, and I use a dotting tool to apply the white if the toes are particularly tiny (not usually the big toe though) hth x

Lots of great tips on this thread. What position do you guys find the best to do this if you dont have pedi chair etc?

Lots of great tips on this thread. What position do you guys find the best to do this if you dont have pedi chair etc?

My clients sit on the normal chair and i sit on a stool in front of them...they put there leg up and rest it on my lap...knee bent so the foot is flat. The lamp (if using gel) is positioned on the floor in front of the client and i guide the foot in and out each time.

The place I work has a massage couch and am wondering if the client lies on the massage table with feet flat - would that work? I'm thinking this would allow me to sit in my normal chair.

The place I work has a massage couch and am wondering if the client lies on the massage table with feet flat - would that work? I'm thinking this would allow me to sit in my normal chair.

i do it this way sometimes, i find it more comfortable for both.

Latest posts

Back