Help please! Client's split nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe89

Reaction score
one of my clients has trapped her finger in a door! she has gel extensions on, i have carefully buffed the gel off and most the tip. Her natural nail has split right across and lifts up but still attached to her finger, ouch! What is the best thing to do? I have been taught in silk and fiber glass and this is the first thing that came to mind but unfortunately I haven't bought the kit. I can order it tonight but thought I would ask for others opinion first x

Send her to the doctor.

She wont go to the doctor, i did suggest that. its a very clean brake, theres no bruising, no bleeding or redness The nail is sore though. x

Then take the nail down really short and tell her to solar oil it regularly I wouldn't put anything on it myself because of the risk of it seeping through and touching the raw nail plate.

:D thank you hun x

Unless you stabilize the break it is going to be quite painful for the client.

I would make sure the whole nail area is well sanitised. Use some nail adhesive over the break and let dry, holding the two edges together and then apply a NNO to the whole nail; this will act as a bandage until the break grows out and will instantly relieve the pain for the client. She will love you. I have repaired many a nail just like this and all have healed wonderfully well and with no further problems.

Thank you so much i really appreciate the advice. I'm due to go back to her in an hour (both had children to pick up) i feel more confident now x

I would use L&P but if you are using gel do it in more thinner layers to begin with so the heat doesn't get to her. Make a tad thicker than normal ... you can thin it down next appointment.

Unless you stabilize the break it is going to be quite painful for the client.

I would make sure the whole nail area is well sanitised. Use some nail adhesive over the break and let dry, holding the two edges together and then apply a NNO to the whole nail; this will act as a bandage until the break grows out and will instantly relieve the pain for the client. She will love you. I have repaired many a nail just like this and all have healed wonderfully well and with no further problems.
Is it ok for it to touch the raw skin inbetween the break? I've always steered clear of putting anything on it because it's the same as letting it touch the skin surely? Or is it ok if it's not bleeding?

Is it ok for it to touch the raw skin inbetween the break? I've always steered clear of putting anything on it because it's the same as letting it touch the skin surely? Or is it ok if it's not bleeding?

You wont be touching any raw skin if you follow my instructions. You 'seal' that area first with the nail adhesive. CND nail adhesive is pharmaceutical quality and designed to be used on skin and nails. Other EC resins should also be OK ... Super Glue is NOT.

Ok thank you for that Gigi so gel bond is safe for use on the skin that's good to know! x

Ok thank you for that Gigi so gel bond is safe for use on the skin that's good to know! x

Of Course. But keep it thin so it will dry.

Latest posts

Back