Help Please.. First complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sienna-Geek

Reaction score
Hello,

I have now been a spray tanner since May this year and since then have been fully booked every evening. Last Thursday I did four ladies a spray tan at their business (a nursery). I currently use Sienna X and love it all my clients love it and have had endless compliments. I gave each customer a after care leaflet and explained everything to them including exercise, showering etc...

This afternoon I have received a phone call from one of the ladies saying they are not happy with the tan at all it has gone patchy and blotchy, apologised for this and asked if they can send me some photos of this and I will get straight on the phone to Sienna once free. Received photos - one photo of a hand that looks like has been in washing up liquid, a foot where the toes are pale (but looks like the client has had a pedicure and nail varnish remover has taken the toe tan off), then a shoulder that looked extremely dry and patches that I can only explain looks like rain drops.

I rang Sienna and they asked the obvious questions have I used this tan on other clients - yes, did I get complaints off them - no, did I use barrier cream - yes, was the lighting good - yes I also had a tent light for additional lighting. Between myself and the company we could not come to a conclusion expect what I had thought.

I rang the customer and apologised and have offered 25% refund and free Sienna exfoliant sachets. They have refused this and said they will not leave this alone and are contacting a friend that owns a salon to get contact numbers to go further with this complaint.

I am very upset and has made me double think spray tanning - this being the first ever complaint. Please can someone help / advise what is best?

Thank you

don't worry, i felt this way about spray tanning in my first few months, i think so much can go wrong with a spray tan, and you really are putting 100% trust in your client to follow their aftercare. I'm sure other geeks will say this too but you should always ask to see the tan in person, its a horrible situation to come face to face with people that are complaining but then you can see the evidence for yourself and ask the apropriate questions, like you said you think it looks like ones had a pedicure, ones been caught in the rain... so on... but you only saw those body parts, i bet the rest of the tan looked perfect!

I use sienna x and love it, all my clients love it, i've only ever had one complaint and it was that the tan 'went scabby' when it was fading, turns out she wasnt exfoliating like i told her too, she laughed but i dont fiund it funny because shes not going to go back and tell all the people that she complained about me to that she was the one in the wrong is she?

Ok I don't do spray tanning but it sounds like to me you've already solved your problem.
Have you said to your client your reasons as to why her tan is uneven. I think what you've offered her is very reasonable. I would try to get to see her and explain all the reasons and point out your track record and the fact that you havnt had any other problems recently.
Not really relevant but One of the girls I work with had spray tan done and it went patchy on her arms and she thought she had a right to ask for a refund even though it was her fault she did no prep before and when I felt her arm where the patches were the skin was dry.

You're obviously doing everything right for this to be your first complaint So stick to your guns x

Thank you both for your comments..
They have made me feel a little bit better, Will it be worth me asking to see the tan now as I did the tan last Thursday? Would you give them a full refund as they are requesting?

Hiya, I totally understand this.
I use Coco Bay spray tan and I love it as do all of my clients.
Last week I had two sisters come for a spray tan together.
I sprayed them both with the same solution, same percentage etc and asked them if they had done their prep, asked if they had any products on their skin and gave aftercare advice with aftercare sheet.

The next day I get a message from one of the sisters, complaining that her feet were tanned but not her legs, I asked to see photos of which she declined. I asked her if she had moisturised her legs prior to the spray tan.
She admitted she may have had some cream on her legs. I reminded her that I had asked her before the tan if she had any product on her skin to which she denied.
I asked how her sisters tan was and she said it was gorgeous.

I told her I was sorry that was how her spray tan had turned out and next time not to use any moisturiser on the day of her spray tan.
Luckily this turned out ok, however clients can deny things until they are blue in the face to try to get a refund or put a complaint in somewhere. I too would tell the client that you feel it was her lack of aftercare that has caused the problems.

Thank you both for your comments..
They have made me feel a little bit better, Will it be worth me asking to see the tan now as I did the tan last Thursday? Would you give them a full refund as they are requesting?

i personally wouldnt give them a full refund, like said above your offer was very reasonable, and as a geek on here once told me 'once they walk out of your salon they are accepting they are happy with the service they have recieved', if the tan had completely washed off the whole of their bodies then fair enough thats kind of your fault, but it didnt, its patchy in obvious 'messing' places. i suppose you could always ask to access the tan, but to be honest most people who complain would have scrubbed the evidence off by now.
take notes of everything, phone calls made, your sienna x call and what was said, keep the messages they have sent you and the pictures, sounds silly but if they do try and take it further you have evidence which your insurance company will want :D

Hiya, I totally understand this.
I use Coco Bay spray tan and I love it as do all of my clients.
Last week I had two sisters come for a spray tan together.
I sprayed them both with the same solution, same percentage etc and asked them if they had done their prep, asked if they had any products on their skin and gave aftercare advice with aftercare sheet.

The next day I get a message from one of the sisters, complaining that her feet were tanned but not her legs, I asked to see photos of which she declined. I asked her if she had moisturised her legs prior to the spray tan.
She admitted she may have had some cream on her legs. I reminded her that I had asked her before the tan if she had any product on her skin to which she denied.
I asked how her sisters tan was and she said it was gorgeous.

I told her I was sorry that was how her spray tan had turned out and next time not to use any moisturiser on the day of her spray tan.
Luckily this turned out ok, however clients can deny things until they are blue in the face to try to get a refund or put a complaint in somewhere. I too would tell the client that you feel it was her lack of aftercare that has caused the problems.

Thank you, this has made me feel slightly better. Did you refund the client? As my only worry is they are requesting full refund and trying to compremise I offered 25% refund which they are not happy with.. Do I contact them back to arrange a meeting to view the tan or try a different approach?

Whatever you decide to do regarding the refund don't get down on yourself. We have all dealt with customers like this. I agree with an earlier point I would always ask to see them in person. I have fully refunded in the past even though I was sure the salon was not at fault. It would close the situation for you. Learn from it and move on.

Xxx

i personally wouldnt give them a full refund, like said above your offer was very reasonable, and as a geek on here once told me 'once they walk out of your salon they are accepting they are happy with the service they have recieved', if the tan had completely washed off the whole of their bodies then fair enough thats kind of your fault, but it didnt, its patchy in obvious 'messing' places. i suppose you could always ask to access the tan, but to be honest most people who complain would have scrubbed the evidence off by now.
take notes of everything, phone calls made, your sienna x call and what was said, keep the messages they have sent you and the pictures, sounds silly but if they do try and take it further you have evidence which your insurance company will want :D

Thank you so much Dolly! I will keep notes of everything including that I did make them an offer, should I contact my insurers or await to hear anything? Sounds silly but this has just made me double think myself and just awaiting the back lash of them telling other people the complaint.

You offered her a reasonable alternative - 25% refund AND free exfoliating wipes to rectify her patchiness in the few places she was 'patchy'. Don't beat yourself up, sounds like she just wants her money back to she has had a free tan.

I am just wondering who exactly is she going to complain to?? If she has a friend who is a 'salon owner' why didn't she get her tan either from them or somebody they recommended? I think she may be bluffing to try scare you into giving her money back - just sit tight, and Im guessing that you wont hear anymore about it.. If she comes back for another treatment have someone elses number to hand to give to her (someone with a bad rep haha) :lol:

You offered her a reasonable alternative - 25% refund AND free exfoliating wipes to rectify her patchiness in the few places she was 'patchy'. Don't beat yourself up, sounds like she just wants her money back to she has had a free tan.

I am just wondering who exactly is she going to complain to?? If she has a friend who is a 'salon owner' why didn't she get her tan either from them or somebody they recommended? I think she may be bluffing to try scare you into giving her money back - just sit tight, and Im guessing that you wont hear anymore about it.. If she comes back for another treatment have someone elses number to hand to give to her (someone with a bad rep haha) :lol:

Thankyou, this has made me smile a little, you are right and now I have really thought about it cannot understand why she did not use her friend and who she is complaining to. Thank you for your advise really helped. And I will sit tight

i'm agreed with the sit tight comment, i'm guessing shes bluffing too :D some people dont think what affect their comments/ actions can have on other people. don;t let it ruin your confidence, get a family member to have a spray tan asap, that will boost your confidence x

Always give out a detailed after care leaflet and get your client to sign a disclaimer to say they received there pre care and after care.

Sounds to me thats neither has been followed or she has seriously bad skin that she failed to declare to you upon consultation. I know people that have allergic reactions to self tan , any self tan. It is very rare but happens. I could be the case here , but if shed tried self tans in the past and she reacted she really should have declared this. If not she should see her doctor to see if it is a case of an allergy or not following correct after care procedure

As you have already offered the 25% refund there's not much you can do about that but if they contact you again you neee to be firm and advise them this is your one and only offer.

You should also put a time limit on the offer as well, you don't want them coming back in a month's time trying to get the money.

They are trying to bully you with talk of contacting another salon and taking it further .. if they take it further you will have the perfect platform to offer your views as to what you believe each of the clients had done to their tans.

You would also be in a position to say you tried to resolve the situation by offering the partial refund and that this was a gesture of goodwill on your part.

Next time I would get all clients to sign a paper that confirms they have carried out all of the pre-treatment instructioins you have given them BEFORE YOU START SPRAYING.

And in another paragraph they must sign before they leave to say they have inspected the coverage and understand the after-care instructions and that they understand you operate a no-refund policy.

Chin up though my lovely, we all get burnt once or twice which is how we learn.

Jacqui xx

I am just wondering who exactly is she going to complain to?? If she has a friend who is a 'salon owner' why didn't she get her tan either from them or somebody they recommended? I think she may be bluffing to try scare you into giving her money back -

Next time I would get all clients to sign a paper that confirms they have carried out all of the pre-treatment instructioins you have given them BEFORE YOU START SPRAYING.
And in another paragraph they must sign before they leave to say they have inspected the coverage and understand the after-care instructions and that they understand you operate a no-refund policy.
Chin up though my lovely, we all get burnt once or twice which is how we learn.

I completly agree with Jacqui & Muddi & I was thinking the excate same things whilst reading your post.
It really sounds like it is down to aftercare/prep & nothing to do with the way you did your tan.
Did you explain/ask her what your thoughts were from looking at the photos; if she got her hands/feet wet? Removed toe nail varnish? Got caught in the rain?
Stay strong, DO NOT GIVE HER ANY MONEY BACK you have done nothing wrong.
Did you ask her how the other ladies came out?
I cant believe what a business she is making over a spray tan, would you really go on about it so much, I mean the tan would of faded off after a week, its not like you really did something wrong like burn her with hot wax!!
There really is nothing else she can do, there is no-one she can contact to "go further" - she probably said that in the heat of the moment!
To be honest the amount of times I have had spray tans done that have left patchy/marks/uneven bits (mainly on my hands & feet) & I have never said anything.
Massive well done to you, to have only been tanning for 5 months & to be fully booked every evening - that is amazing.
Out of interest how much do you charge?
Goodluck hun, be strong & dont worry xx

Havent been in your position ( yet ) but feel for you, I dont know what I would do really, but I think you have been very fair. Some people just moan for the sake of it I think and its common sense a lot of it, let us know how you get on? x

Latest posts

Back