Help please, need waxing confidence!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbe!

Reaction score
I've just started my waxing business and am kind of having second thoughts and wonder if I've done the right thing by setting up from home on my own. I've done a waxing course which covered all the theory and practical waxing also an intimate waxing course. I've had one appointment so far which was a Hollywood and just feel so conscious that it's all so new to me and I'm just so nervous. How long did it take for people's confidence to grow? Or should I have got some experience by working for somebody else first?! X

[emoji112] hi!
I trained many many years ago back in the late 80’s early 90’s and back then our training was on going over 2 years full time (9-4 every day, five days a week). We weren’t necessarily waxing every day but we certainly carried on doing it through the 2 years so it was very different for me. I was nervous in my first beauty job as it was in a very well to do boutique salon and I had to wax using hard hot wax which was far harder and more brittle than today’s hot wax. Despite the amount of training and practice we had in comparison to the short courses done nowadays, I still felt very nervous so there’s nothing unusual about how you are feeling. I think everyone is nervous when they first set out to work on real paying customers. The more you practice at home on friends and family, the more confident you will become. That’s when the real learning starts. After several waxes you will start to feel more confident and it will feel totally natural to you. Just take your time and try to enjoy getting to know your clients. Have fun! You’ll be fine!!

Ah thanks so much, I'll keep at it, it's definitely not an easy job!!! X

Hi! Congrats on doing what you wanted to do!

Waxing doesn’t need to be scary, just remember that the client will be more scared than you.

The best thing I was taught was ‘work methodically and it will all be alright in the end’

Basically not panicking and just slipping it on willy nilly or ripping strips off at random. Start on the outside, work your way in, you will always finish. When I was in college a woman pulled a strip at 2 ends on my armpit and to this day recoil in memory of my screams, so stick to what you know you are supposed to do.

-Things will happen that will teach you to be resourceful, so when you can’t get wax off a lip or something that’s freaked you out, act like nothing is going on. They will have no idea, be cool. It always comes off in the end, nobody ever leaves hairy!

-Check out Habia you will find it’s waxing info helpful

-Never forget the oil but especially on those bits and pieces ;)

-Enjoy it, nothing more satisfying that ripping hair off and making people smooth!

Good luck, you can do it!!

Hey! I’m fairly new too! .. I qualified in October last year and didn’t start taking clients till May! It was a quiet time to start looking for clients anyway so I took it as a chance to practice practice practice and also to test and find the perfect products that I really enjoy using. I also watched a ton of videos and have picked up lots of awesome tips!
Good luck. The confidence will come. I’m still working on becoming practiced and routine [emoji23]

Ah thanks so much everyone! I will definitely remember all your wise words when I start to panic!! Will definitely check out lots more you tube videos and habia xxx

Latest posts

Back