Help please - parts of skin not taking fake tan.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieMc

Reaction score
I've searched high and low to try to find an answer to this but to no avail so I'm hoping one of you tanning geeks might be able to help me.

I have had an enquiry from a lady about getting a St tropez airbrush tan, but she tells me she has a problem when using tanning creams/mousses where parts of her skin just don't seem to take the tan at all.

I vaguely seem to remember reading something about this a good while ago but for the life of me can't find it on the 'net now. Is there a skin condition that would affect the DHA reaction causing it to not take in places on the body?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jackie

i dont know if this helps but....
i have a patch of skin on my arm that has no pigment in, its not visible until i have been in the sun and the skin surrounding gets brown and highlights the white bit. could it be something similar to this ?

some people can just be dha resistant.i know california tan have just released a pre spray tan treatment called maximiser.its a spray that you apply before your tan which activates and boosts the sunless tanning reaction for a faster darker tan.something like that could be of help.Also it might be worth asking her on her pre treatment routine does she use a lot of oils thick moisturisers on her skin.does she use them on the day of her tan.when and if she exfoliates. it may be a cause of having a barrier on her skin from certain cosmetics.

spray tanning can be a huge disaster if you dont plan and prep properly just like many treatments you can provide a client with. some areas can be dha resistant which unfortunately you can do nothing about, the only way around this is to make sure you are very well exfoliated to eliminate patches or blotches, no makeup, anti persperant + purfume free and give a few different names a try. i personally find St Tropez to be a very hard system to work with. try a more natural spray such as california tan or Pro Tan which is superb!! ive never failed to suit a single client using it!!

some people do have "pigmentation patches" where the skin is paler and has no pigment in it. I have a couple of clients with this and even when sprayed you do still have patchiness, although it does seem to blend it in a bit. hth

Thanks everyone for your help. I've passed the info onto her so I'll let her decide whether to give it a try.

Jackie

Hiya hun , i find that if you use a oil free moisteriser prior to tanning this doesnt happen HTH xxx

cabinkel said:
some people do have "pigmentation patches" where the skin is paler and has no pigment in it. I have a couple of clients with this and even when sprayed you do still have patchiness, although it does seem to blend it in a bit. hth

Cabinkle is correct, everyone is different. Some people take, some don't & some don't take in certain areas. I've known tans last for 4 days while on others it's been 4 weeks. I guess we are all different.

Richard.

Another tip for people who are DHA resistive is to spray them with a darker solution ( say a 12%) They wont come up as dark as everyone else but it will help to give them a little colour. :)

Latest posts

Back