Help please, peeps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpster

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks,

First of all please let me thank the geeks who helped me get onto my level 2 course when the college said I couldn't do it without level 1 despite me being an extensionist and already holding several level 2 nvq's.

Now onto the quandary:-

I'm doing my level 2 and am a distinction student (yay me) and I'd really like to do my level 3 and my tutor is pushing me to.
My problem is that I can't afford to do the course as I'm self employed and whilst I'm doing my level 2 it means I am only working part time hours. I also can't afford to do it as an apprentice as my wage wouldn't cover my mortgage :-( .

I don't need to learn extensions and I'm not interested in salon management or extreme hair show updos etc, I just want to learn more advanced cutting and colour correction. Is there any way I can learn these skills without paying £1500 and losing goodness knows how many possible earning hours a week?

Sorry for long post thanks in advance for any advice xxx

hi, different companies offer courses, have a look on Aston & Fincher website and capital, iv never used them but worth a look.. x

as far as i am aware the only way is through college or a private company like a academy but then your talking over double the price you would pay at college.. as you need that qualification to show you are credible .. forgive me if im wrong but thats what i have been informed and theres no quicker or cheaper way as far as i am concerned x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

and im going on to do my level 3 this year.. so i can be a fully qualified hairdresser as i also found out that after level 2 im not qualified for hairdressing so have to do level 3 xx

Is that true that I won't even be qualified after doing level 2?! I am not wanting to find a cheaper way to do level 3, I just wondered if there were some advanced cutting and some colour correction courses so i didn't have to do all the bits I don't want like salon management and extensions as there's no point paying for stuff I already do :-/

With some companies you can select different areas you want to study but they are most likely gonna work out expensive as you've already said you would like to do advanced cutting, advanced colouring and colour correction! It might be expensive but they will only last a couple of weeks if that per course so it would be time beneficial to you xx hth

Hi Hair Geeks,

First of all please let me thank the geeks who helped me get onto my level 2 course when the college said I couldn't do it without level 1 despite me being an extensionist and already holding several level 2 nvq's.

Now onto the quandary:-

I'm doing my level 2 and am a distinction student (yay me) and I'd really like to do my level 3 and my tutor is pushing me to.
My problem is that I can't afford to do the course as I'm self employed and whilst I'm doing my level 2 it means I am only working part time hours. I also can't afford to do it as an apprentice as my wage wouldn't cover my mortgage :-( .

I don't need to learn extensions and I'm not interested in salon management or extreme hair show updos etc, I just want to learn more advanced cutting and colour correction. Is there any way I can learn these skills without paying £1500 and losing goodness knows how many possible earning hours a week?

Sorry for long post thanks in advance for any advice xxx

What colour brand do you use? C

Currently using wella koleston :)

yea its true if you look up vrq level 2 it states on the info you arnt qualified till you have done level 3.. i was not aware of this till after i had already started my course ... on nvq2 you study a lot more cuts etc than what you do on this level 2 its basic compared to nvq2 and a level 3 is only really equivlent to a nvq2 its so confusing and frustrating .. but my tutor has stated no one will employ some one with just a vrq level 2 .. if your wanting to go mobile im not sure with insurance etc so you would have to check that out x

and on level 3 you dont have to do salon manager etc you have 4 core subjects that every one has to do then you choose 3 subjects of your choice one of which is colour correction x

I'd better check with my insurance then, if I'd have known that I wouldn't even be qualified at level 2 I might not have bothered, either that or I'l have to take a year out to save up for level 3. Thanks for the replies Geeks xxx

I'd better check with my insurance then, if I'd have known that I wouldn't even be qualified at level 2 I might not have bothered, either that or I'l have to take a year out to save up for level 3. Thanks for the replies Geeks xxx

Sharpster I think there is some confusion if you're doing NVQ-2 you will be qualified to junior level at the end of this course. If it's VRQ2 you will not and need to do NVQ2 afterwards.
my collge allows monthly payments to do courses mabye this will be helpful for you to do level 3? If you do the evening course maybe that will allow you do your normal work and just study evenings?

Sharpster I think there is some confusion if you're doing NVQ-2 you will be qualified to junior level at the end of this course. If it's VRQ2 you will not and need to do NVQ2 afterwards.
my collge allows monthly payments to do courses mabye this will be helpful for you to do level 3? If you do the evening course maybe that will allow you do your normal work and just study evenings?

or you can do the level 3 but its still not as good as a nvq2 from what ive read.. and would you be qualified to do mobile hairdresser on vrq2 i dont think you will be.. its so confusing with all these diffrent qualifications x

or you can do the level 3 but its still not as good as a nvq2 from what ive read.. and would you be qualified to do mobile hairdresser on vrq2 i dont think you will be.. its so confusing with all these diffrent qualifications x

I didnot even know there was a vrq3
It's true its really confusing :( to many qualifications.

i cant believe your tutor or college has not told you.. although mine didnt tell me till i had already started because if i had of known i would of done hair and media make-up level 2 and gone on to do my level 3 hairdressing... it is way to confusing i wonder how employers find it .. oh i went for a interview for a apprentice at a salon the other day and they wernt even aware of a vrq level 2 x

Check with insurance to make sure your level 2 qualification is enough, apart from that I understand why would you want to spend all that money for units you don't need to learn :S Wella do lots of courses at their studios (London and Manchester) but they run Wella colour courses through Salon Services and Capital at their stores throughout too so you could do a wee search on their sites the Salon Services Wella courses are very reasonable too between £50-£90 x

what i mean is if you do that colour course with wella lets say that will not qualify you to colour hair will it? so a mobile insure would not cover you would it?as level 2 is not fully qualified hairdresser but if insurance will cover you anyway amd you can go mobile then thar should be fine x

hi, iv just called my mum shes had my cert since i qualified planets ago, i am so confused and will need to look into my qualifications now,

i trained with the rainbow room and apparently she only has a nvq level 2 cert and my rainbow room ones. i worked on there salon floor plus 2 other salons..

im confused

sounds confusing lol if you have a nvq 2 in hairdressing then your fine. just do some colour refresher courses but if you dont then back to square 1 again lol i hope you manage to sort it.. have you tried talking to your tutor x

I'm going to speak to my tutor tomorrow night. I am doing Diploma Level 2 hairdressing but I'l have to check my course details to see if it's classed as the vrq, I know it's not nvq but now I'm unsure what it is. All I know is I'm perfectly capable of cutting, colouring, perking etc I just want to make sure I can get insurance. Will speak to tutor and get back to you all, providing I'm qualified I think the wella courses might be a goer but if I'm not qualified looks like level 3 will have to be saved up for :-/

Latest posts

Back