Help please-props for photos?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlea79

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Looking for advice/tips for my photos as I need to get some really good images for my facebook page.

I wondered what was best to use as props or the best way to position the hands.

Thanks marie x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405841712.419851.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405841726.864716.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405841738.812357.jpg
I use this big diamond and love it lol x

A Salon nearby uses a large stone and has her logo painted in nail Polish It - looks fab x

I used this flower the other day :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405844659.886982.jpg

Following this one some of my photos have looked horrible :/

I've just got a "picture dome", loads of people have them. They're made by the lovely Jo (not sure what her name is on here but she's got a fb Page, The Picture Dome). She completely personalises it so it can be used in photos like a watermark.

I love using flowers, especially in contrasting colours or interesting shapes. Scarfs or material with pretty backgrounds look nice but good lighting is essential.

Karaxxx

Hi everyone

Looking for advice/tips for my photos as I need to get some really good images for my facebook page.

I wondered what was best to use as props or the best way to position the hands.

Thanks marie x

My pet hate is when you see photos of nails that look like claws. Keep the props and hands soft looking if you have produced some killer nails. Don't use anything for a prop that will fight for attention with the nails, for example if the nails are busy with nail art, keep the prop simple so the nails stand out. So many people try to match rather then compliment or contrast and end up with a photo of chaotic patterns and colours where the nails are completely lost.

I saw a set of neon nails placed ontop of a bowl of pebbles- the nails really stood out against the grey pebbles x

Have you got any pics of the stone?

Where did you buy this crystal?

Picture dome on Facebook is where the stones are from….. not sure on crystals thou!

So sorry for late reply, I actually got this crystal as a cake topper from a supplier x

A prop that also has a purpose... a large bottle of Solar Oil :)

I actually used ribbon in my recent photo. I had a lot of it, bunched it up and tangled it around my fingers just to highlight my nails just something different :)

Personally, I always struggled to find nice ways to compose the hands. So what I did is to start to collect photo's from magazines and Facebook that I like, so that when I need to make photo's then I have all these ideas available.

One of the best Facebook groups to see nice quality work and good photo's is ProfNail. (Mods. I am not associated with ProfNail in any way:))

A prop should enhance the attention on the nails, rather than become the main subject. A simple prop like a swathe of material, or the hands relaxed on a white surface, are my personal favourites.

Try to avoid making the hands like a claw or the finger extended but too stiff. If you are trying to photograph nail art, then the camera should be close to the nails and positioned flat to the camera lens (i.e. fingers not angled to the camera).

Flowers, pearls beads. Tinsel etc. Will post pics x

Latest posts

Back