Help please - Shellac removal/application L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Hi All,

Help please!

I qualified in Shellac last sept and have only ever done natural nails, but ive just had a booking for tomorrow for a lady who wants her shellac re-doing but she also has CND L&P.

Apart from not applying a base coat as I remember this is not required, is the process the same? When removing can I wrap in nourishing remover as I do normally? Do you do cuticle work on someone with l&p? Can I use scrubfresh? Having never done a set of l&p or enhancements I am a bit clueless so if someone could advise me what I can/cant do that would be great!!

Her apt is tomorrow at 9am so any help much appreciated :)

You have to buff it off ypu can't wrap as remover would damage the extention . I don't offer extentions and they are a bit of a nightmare hth

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

You're going to have to file off the Shellac without changing the shape of the acrylic. Start gently with a 180 file then when most of the colour is gone switch to a 240 to maintain the shape.

You can then do dry cuticle work if necessary followed by Scrubfresh. You don't need base coat, you can go straight in with colour.

My only concern is any area of growth and how much of a lip, if any, there is between the acrylic and the natural nail, as this possibly won't give a smooth finish to the new colour and will create a 'line'.

You're going to have to file off the Shellac without changing the shape of the acrylic. Start gently with a 180 file then when most of the colour is gone switch to a 240 to maintain the shape.

You can then do dry cuticle work if necessary followed by Scrubfresh. You don't need base coat, you can go straight in with colour.

My only concern is any area of growth and how much of a lip, if any, there is between the acrylic and the natural nail, as this possibly won't give a smooth finish to the new colour and will create a 'line'.

Thanks Pure... Right ok, I don't have a 180 grit file as I don't do l&p, only have my kanga files/girlfriend buffer etc! Would the lady be better going to someone who does both l&p and shellac to sort this out in your opinion? I have asked for a picture of her nails to see of theres a gap (another thing I was worried about) Id rather gove her the best advice and refer her than try and sort this and give a bad service!!

You have to buff it off ypu can't wrap as remover would damage the extention . I don't offer extentions and they are a bit of a nightmare hth

Ive never done an extension so I have no clue! How hard is the shellac to remove by buffing it off?

It's quite time consuming without the proper files . I refuse them now .

It's quite time consuming without the proper files . I refuse them now .

Exactly what I was thinking, I could be there ages! What would you suggest I say to her, she needs to find somewhere/someone who does both l&p and shellac? Thanks for your help!

It would take a little longer with only a 240 grit. Did she say why she wasn't going back to the place which applied them?

It would take a little longer with only a 240 grit. Did she say why she wasn't going back to the place which applied them?

She's just moved to this area so I assume wherever she moved from is too far away to return to. I'm not sure how long she's had them on for, I am still waiting for a photo to see current condition.

I would have thought she'd also want a rebalance or infill with the acrylic sooner or later too. They're normally done together so unless she wants to move away from wearing acrylics it might make more sense for her to see someone who can do the whole job for her.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1423778078.353346.jpg
Ok so this is the pic she has sent me. She said she had them done just over two weeks ago, shellac applied at the same time. She has broken one of her thumbs! And one nail has chipped/ Surely she needs to see someone who does l&p to fix the thumb??

I would have thought she'd also want a rebalance or infill with the acrylic sooner or later too. They're normally done together so unless she wants to move away from wearing acrylics it might make more sense for her to see someone who can do the whole job for her.

I thought that they would be done together, she was only asking for shellac as I informed her I wasn't qualified in l&p.

I think I agree with you...if she's got broken nails she needs to have them repaired. If there's any lifting at all she's at risk of a bacterial infection (greenie) so she really should see someone who can do the whole job. Not only that if you painted over a broken nail it wouldn't look very good lol

I think I agree with you...if she's got broken nails she needs to have them repaired. If there's any lifting at all she's at risk of a bacterial infection (greenie) so she really should see someone who can do the whole job. Not only that if you painted over a broken nail it wouldn't look very good lol

Thanks so much for your advice. I've recommended she see someone who does both l&p and shellac and she was fine with that. Yea exactly her thumb would not look good!

I think you've done the right thing. I know it's a pain to turn away a new client but the finished work wouldn't have looked ideal and should she ever choose to return to natural nails hopefully she'll remember your professionalism and return :)

Latest posts

Back