Help please with brushes got myself upset

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsgalore13

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Sorry im asking again about brushes.
I did my neice gelish last night and got myself really upset.to be honest I could cry right now. I feel useless and cant even do nail art. All she wanted was some like black stripes like swiped from the side into the middle.
I couldn't even do that.
I used a little brush I got in the art kit from cnd.
The lines were too thick and couldn't get it right, I gave up as I think it was the brush.
Its times like that though that makes me think I mayaswell not do nails anymore.
Know I am being silly.
Just wondered what brush people recommend I get for thin lines (for doing like tiger stripes)? Do I do the lines with gelish and gel brush or would you use paints and a different brush?
Sorry for me going on but iv got myself really down. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aww, what a shame! There is nothing worse than feeling rubbish and so frustrated you could cry! We've all been there!

For the kind of stripes you are after by far the easiest way is to use a striper brush (long and skinny) that comes in a bottle with it's own polish. My fave is the Colour Club Stripers from Sweet Squared, but there are 100's out there.

As you use Gelish I'd recommend you book a little one 2 one session with your nearest Harmony Educator, explain you are at your wits end and you just need a little tutorial in some basic nail art using Gelish. You don't have to feel stupid, any good educator would be DELIGHTED to help you get the hang of the basics and feel great about creating some simple designs.
Basic nail art is not rocket science, but it's only easy if you know how and have had some practice. Seriously, I wish I could give you a hug, there is no way you need to feel so bad about it, we all have to start somewhere. An hour or two with an educator and you'll be amazed what you can do.
We do this kind of 1 2 1 training regularly at our CND Academies here is Scotland and it's always so successful. A little education is worth it's weight in gold.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

We have all been there, put it down to experience and pick yourself up again.

For these kind of stripes I tend to use a dotting tool, mine were fairly cheap off ebay. Use the smallest dot and its perfect for the fine line you want to achieve. Don't load it too much though or it goes on too thick. Remember, you can always add more if need be.
I usually blob a small amount of polish onto a glass coaster type thing, and use that as I go along.
HTH

You can either load the tip of the brush and go lighter on the pressure as you swipe it across the nail so the very end of the line should taper in to a very thin point, or tailor your brush so that it's thinner, therefore creating thinner lines. Just trim a couple of hairs at a time and test it out, but don't go doing nothing crazy like cutting off half the hairs and killing your brush!

Thin long lines are easier done with a longer bristles. Practice. Get a piece of paper or a nail tip and just use your brush to make lines and swirls. play with the pressure you use- light touch, heavy hand, ect so you can get a feel what pressure creates what thickness.

You can use anything for lines really but I prefer using whichever gel I'm using or acrylic paint. Easy clean up so my brush isn't clogged.

Aww, what a shame! There is nothing worse than feeling rubbish and so frustrated you could cry! We've all been there!

For the kind of stripes you are after by far the easiest way is to use a striper brush (long and skinny) that comes in a bottle with it's own polish. My fave is the Colour Club Stripers from Sweet Squared, but there are 100's out there.

As you use Gelish I'd recommend you book a little one 2 one session with your nearest Harmony Educator, explain you are at your wits end and you just need a little tutorial in some basic nail art using Gelish. You don't have to feel stupid, any good educator would be DELIGHTED to help you get the hang of the basics and feel great about creating some simple designs.
Basic nail art is not rocket science, but it's only easy if you know how and have had some practice. Seriously, I wish I could give you a hug, there is no way you need to feel so bad about it, we all have to start somewhere. An hour or two with an educator and you'll be amazed what you can do.
We do this kind of 1 2 1 training regularly at our CND Academies here is Scotland and it's always so successful. A little education is worth it's weight in gold.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

aww thank you so much for your advise, thats the thing i do feel stupid when i cant even get the stripes right! also with these colour club things that you use, can you gelish top coat over? thanks again x

We have all been there, put it down to experience and pick yourself up again.

For these kind of stripes I tend to use a dotting tool, mine were fairly cheap off ebay. Use the smallest dot and its perfect for the fine line you want to achieve. Don't load it too much though or it goes on too thick. Remember, you can always add more if need be.
I usually blob a small amount of polish onto a glass coaster type thing, and use that as I go along.
HTH

thank you thats great advice,you just feel abit silly but yes i should pick myself up and get on with it,thanks again x

You can either load the tip of the brush and go lighter on the pressure as you swipe it across the nail so the very end of the line should taper in to a very thin point, or tailor your brush so that it's thinner, therefore creating thinner lines. Just trim a couple of hairs at a time and test it out, but don't go doing nothing crazy like cutting off half the hairs and killing your brush!

Thin long lines are easier done with a longer bristles. Practice. Get a piece of paper or a nail tip and just use your brush to make lines and swirls. play with the pressure you use- light touch, heavy hand, ect so you can get a feel what pressure creates what thickness.

You can use anything for lines really but I prefer using whichever gel I'm using or acrylic paint. Easy clean up so my brush isn't clogged.

Brilliant thank you for that, fab advice il have a practice, thank you, everyone is so helpful x

Hi geeks
Sorry im asking again about brushes.
I did my neice gelish last night and got myself really upset.to be honest I could cry right now. I feel useless and cant even do nail art. All she wanted was some like black stripes like swiped from the side into the middle.
I couldn't even do that.
I used a little brush I got in the art kit from cnd.
The lines were too thick and couldn't get it right, I gave up as I think it was the brush.
Its times like that though that makes me think I mayaswell not do nails anymore.
Know I am being silly.
Just wondered what brush people recommend I get for thin lines (for doing like tiger stripes)? Do I do the lines with gelish and gel brush or would you use paints and a different brush?
Sorry for me going on but iv got myself really down. Thanks for any help.

try using the top of a cocktail stick

try using the top of a cocktail stick

Ooo thats a good idea! Is that what you use? Thank you x

Have a look on YouTube for "cutepolish", she does step by step tutorials then once you've found one you want to attempt practice practice practice!! It's the worst when everything builds up and you just feel useless but you've got this far! Just think about everything you've achieved so far and everything you can achieve!! Good luck xx

Have a look on YouTube for "cutepolish", she does step by step tutorials then once you've found one you want to attempt practice practice practice!! It's the worst when everything builds up and you just feel useless but you've got this far! Just think about everything you've achieved so far and everything you can achieve!! Good luck xx

oh right thank you i will have a look! yes i suppose it is all about the practice, i get where i want to be too good too quick where i know it takes time! yes your right i need to start thinking positive thanks again x

Latest posts

Back