help please with nss gel overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisaowens

Reaction score
A new cliet has called today wanting a natural acrylic overlay on her nails however shes had a gel overlay done at a nss i doubt this will be soak off how do i remove this ?
thankyou in advance

you cannot soak gel off whether it be from a salon or nss, gels buff off usually unless using a soak off gel.
however you need to find out first by doing a client consultation if the nails are gel, or l&p acrylic or mma ,
if they are the latter mma then personally if the product hasn't lifted and all looks well i would thin them out and then overlay with l&p and keep doing so until the overlay becomes your l&p.
mma acrylic takes a very very long time to soak off and with mma usually the natural nail plate under neath has usually been butchered with an efile so soaking off my uncover very sore nails, so best to leave the overlay on as its still protecting the nail underneath, and just continuing with your product at every maintenance appt until fully grown out
hth

some gels can be soaked off...Options, Bio Sculpture and Calgel to name a few....gels that are porous can be soaked off.....however i doubt these where used if this place is NNS

I am only guessing here but if she has indeed been to a NSS (we don't know that for sure yet) i would put money on her not having gel on at all...they tend to tell you that you have got what ever it is you have asked for.

I would check them out....if all is well then just infill them for her....they will grow out to be a NNO after a few visits.

I am only guessing here but if she has indeed been to a NSS (we don't know that for sure yet) i would put money on her not having gel on at all...they tend to tell you that you have got what ever it is you have asked for.
Ha yes, that's just what I was thinking

thanks guys but if it is gel how do i remove ? what do u mean y buff off ?

I wouldn't remove (personally), I would look at the state of the nails and also the rings of fire (if there are any) and advise the client accordingly.
There's no need to do a removal if the product is ok to start off with, there will probably be a slight colour difference but this can be disguised with nail enamel until her natural nail grows out.
Removing NSS products can be a PITA, you're better off doing a rebalance IMO.

hth's

you may not have too....if its all ok then just infill.

If you do have to then first check to see what it is...(after time you will just know by how it files, feels, looks and smells.) file down 1 finger with a 180 and then soak ... while that finger is soaking start to file down the other nails...check the 1 nail thats soaking, if its started to loosen and turn to goo (for the want of a better word) then its soak off and you can then soak the rest of the nails...if not and it hasn't budges at all then just continue to file down the product, as you get nearer the natural nail switch to a 240.

From my experience and what has already been said, if your client has been to a true NSS salon, asked for gel or been told it was gel, she will have probably been getting MMA acrylic (liquid and powder).....ask her how they applied it.....did she have to put her hands into a uv lamp to cure the product when it had been applied.......not a nail dryer after the airbrush french was applied.

I'm sure she will remember having to put her hand into a lamp time after time and if she didn't that's a good indication that she doesn't have a gel application.

Regardless of all that, if the current product is sound, I would rebalance, although this might take you some time and a lot of files as the nails are generally as thick as your arm and as hard as hell to file.

Hi I had a lady last night with Nss Gel!
Its the 1st time I have covered it and it was really odd to file.......hard but then as I got nearer to the natural nail it just kind of peeled off, almost rubbery! :confused:
I removed any lifting and blended the edges flush with the nail and rebalanced with Nsi Balance!
She was very pleased and much prefered the look of them to before...... I explained what I had done and that I didn`t foresee any problems and to call me if she did.
As the others have said if tou have something you can work with then I`d just rebalance as usual! :)
Hth x

thanks guys for all advice i will have a good look and see x

Ask her if any powder was used. If she says yes... there's your answer.

A uv lamp is not indicative if they have gel or not. It might just be a uv sealant over top of L&P. OR just a top gloss that was dried in a nail dryer w/lamp (but the client was told it was uv).

hth's

<<Ask her if any powder was used. If she says yes... there's your answer>>

That's actually no longer entirely accurate. StarNails has a Hybrid product called Acrygel that uses Gel and a "strengthening powder"

So it's a gel with (I'm assuming here)an acrylic type powder to add strength to the nail. Clarity and flexibility of a gel but strength of an acrylic, type of thing.

Latest posts

Back