Help!!...pleeeeease! Waxing afternoon from hell!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applepie

Reaction score
hello - I am in need of sharing my miserable afternoon and I'm not sure where to go from here so am also needing advice please!

I have returned to beauty after having children and have had my treatment room for a couple of months at home. Everything has been going great until I decided to introduce waxing. I admit I was never keen on waxing but managed to get on with it ok previously (though messy floor etc). I have had clients ask and do feel I need to offer it or else I'm not offering a whole service.

So, I went for PhD as I thought it would solve my messy floor problem. It all sounded great but I am having a nightmare with it.

I have just done a bikini & full leg and it took me 1 hr 15!! And it was a rubbish job. I just find the system so hard to use - tube too hot to hold, sticky wax all over my hands & applicator after a couple of applications, wax either not coming out smoothly & leaving gaps or coming out in a glob too thick (and I have heated it up as per instructions). And the client was sticking all over the place when I tried to apply over alarge area as recommended. She even stuck her legs together at one point!! AAAARGH!

I was sweating buckets and even thought about giving up! & ended up using way too many tubes of wax, strips and applicators just to try and keep the mess down and then I didn't even feel I could charge the client as it felt so amateur so let her have it free!

I don't know what to do now but will having kittens next time I get another one (thankfully I don't get a lot of call for waxing as I do alot of facial, massage & pedicure etc).

Did anyone else find PhD like this but then get better? I don't know whether to just give up on that and try a good old pot again or take waxing of altogether or try to get on a course??

I off to cheer myself up with a bar of choc. What do you think??!!!

xxxxxxxx

Can I ask if you have attended the phd training ?

If you are experincing all of these problems AFTER training then I would get back in touch with ellisons asap as the problems you are haveing are easily rectified, if you haven't had the training then I would book on it now !

hello - I am in need of sharing my miserable afternoon and I'm not sure where to go from here so am also needing advice please!

I have returned to beauty after having children and have had my treatment room for a couple of months at home. Everything has been going great until I decided to introduce waxing. I admit I was never keen on waxing but managed to get on with it ok previously (though messy floor etc). I have had clients ask and do feel I need to offer it or else I'm not offering a whole service.

So, I went for PhD as I thought it would solve my messy floor problem. It all sounded great but I am having a nightmare with it.

I have just done a bikini & full leg and it took me 1 hr 15!! And it was a rubbish job. I just find the system so hard to use - tube too hot to hold, sticky wax all over my hands & applicator after a couple of applications, wax either not coming out smoothly & leaving gaps or coming out in a glob too thick (and I have heated it up as per instructions). And the client was sticking all over the place when I tried to apply over alarge area as recommended. She even stuck her legs together at one point!! AAAARGH!

I was sweating buckets and even thought about giving up! & ended up using way too many tubes of wax, strips and applicators just to try and keep the mess down and then I didn't even feel I could charge the client as it felt so amateur so let her have it free!

I don't know what to do now but will having kittens next time I get another one (thankfully I don't get a lot of call for waxing as I do alot of facial, massage & pedicure etc).

Did anyone else find PhD like this but then get better? I don't know whether to just give up on that and try a good old pot again or take waxing of altogether or try to get on a course??

I off to cheer myself up with a bar of choc. What do you think??!!!

xxxxxxxx

I agree with Bombini, if you haven't done the training then you must do it !

But a few other things -

An hour and a quarter is ok for full leg and bikini

To keep your hands clean, wear vinyl or nitrile gloves (not latex)

If the tubes are too hot try wrapping a clean waxing strip around them?

Re clients legs sticking together, you must position the legs and when in position just say to the client something like, ' if you can just keep in that position for a mo...'

Hth's x

Hi

I feel for you, but I would definatly say you should have charged her. You still did the job, you may feel like it was bad, she may not, she is not a professional.

I also agree with the above, if you haven't had any training go on it, if you have give them a call!

Some people get on with tube waxing others don't, its definatly personal opinon. I have recently changed back to pot and spatula.

Don't worry too much, we all have days were we dream about what went wrong, and panic, do not let it put you off for next time because that will make it worse.

Be confident, you qualified you're just a little rusty.

hth

xbx

I use Australian Bodycare which is also a tube system. It took me a while to get used to it, but with help from the great peeps at ABC i have it all but sussed. I'm sure the peeps at PhD will help you too. However one tip, the tube should always be too hot to hold, you need to use a thermal sleeve. If you can hold the tube then the wax is too cool and won't flow, it will clog the applicator and be the nightmare you had.

I used to panic about being slow, the geeks were lovely and said that sometimes you do take longer and not to panic about speed. So i stopped panicking and relaxed, and weyhey it all fell into place.

:hug::hug::hug:

Don't worry about speed - that comes with practice, and just happens over time.

The temperature thing is a bit of a bugger to get right. When it comes out of the hole in the front its slightly cooler then when you take it from the two at the back. If your not careful when you get another tube it all goes horribly wrong with wax running everywhere. Fortunately when that happened it was a friend who saw the funny side.

Just remember, take a deep breath each time it goes a bit pear shaped for you. If you get sticky hands use some post wax lotion on them, and if it gets too bad just change your gloves.

Good luck! Don't give up just yet - we'll help you best we can.

Mat

The first time I used The phd system I thought oh my god I've just spent a fortune and can't do it! Since then I've practiced loads and now feel confident and happy with it, but it did take quite awhile.

I used to use Phd in the salon i previously worked on.To start with if you havent had a rep down to train you definately request one comes down.I had an afternoon with one and it definately helps.I did find i was slower at first than i would normally be when waxing,but you must practice as much as poss and you will get more and more used to the system and you will get quicker.
We used to get supplied with heat protectors to hold the tubes with from phd whenever placing an order( at no extra charge) so enquire about those too as there is no way you can wax at the correct temperature without them.I personnally found phd's own wax strips hard to get on with ,so changed back to larger ones.Also keep the tube of wax tilted head down all the time and this helps with the wax flowing easier when applying to the area being waxed.Keep at it hun and even if you just go back to practicing on friends for a while to get your confidence up,dont give up you will get there in the the end!:hug: xxx

some of my worst days have been waxing ones, but the others are right, go easy on yourself if you rush you're more likely to get in a tis, i've never tried tube wax myself so can't help with the specifics. don't ever not charge though hun, give a discount maybe, you spent the time, the client had the treatment, the timing was ok. we're so critical of ourselves i'm sure the client was ok with it all. maybe a refresher course would help with your confidence and get you some tips, good luck hun xx

I agree with all of the above.

I've been on the PhD training, i believe you may have to visit ellisons academy in Coventry like i did, but you should get a days free training if you purchased the full kit. The trainer there will take you through troubleshooting and how to hold the tube to prevent problems. she also takes you through positions and applications which may give you the refresher you need as she does address any issues you're having. As has been said above, you need to keep the tube pointed downwards to avoid air bubbles getting into the tube as this cools the wax and causes the gaps and problems you referred to.

Additionally, you shouldn't have to squeeze the tube that much, and the wax should ideally flow out of the gateway. When you've applied a section, pick up a pellon strip, close the gateway and wipe the excess from the applicator head onto the pellon so it's clean for the next application (on the same clt...). I usually find a small amount of wax at the base of the applicator if i've applied a large area, such as the legs, but wiping this off is usually sufficient.
If you do find that the wax isn't flowing right, try applying it on a pellon until it's flowing right... this usually gets it going...

finally, the heat protectors are a godsend. Next time you place an order, for example to try one of their lovely new waxes (so excited about getting round to order them!) ask them for a few hand protectors. They're nice and grippy so you have control of the tube, but also really protect from the heat.

It does take getting used to, but it is worth it once you do. If you're are having specific probs feel free to pm me, or post as there are many geeks who use PhD.

Thanks everyone - great advice and very reassuring to hear your comments too. It's so good to be able to hear other therapists experience.

I admit I haven't done the PhD course due to distance & childcare but am just not sure now if it is ever going to be the system for me as I think a lot of it is down to speed and I am never going to be a quick waxer!

I am thinkig I may get a wax pot heater after all since this is what I trained with and used before and will also look for a refresher wax course locally to boost my skills and confidence.

Anyone want to buy a brand new PhD system?!!!

if you are thinking of changing, have a look at the clean + easy roller system. I used to hate waxing but I find this an easy, speedy, no mess way to get the job done. It's never let me down yet! Best of luck and don't let that one experience knock your confidence, onwards and upwards! x

if you are thinking of changing, have a look at the clean + easy roller system. I used to hate waxing but I find this an easy, speedy, no mess way to get the job done. It's never let me down yet! Best of luck and don't let that one experience knock your confidence, onwards and upwards! x

Got to agree with this. I bought the PHD system and really struggled with it. I have since bought the Clean & Easy roller spa and it is a joy to use!

I actually look forward to waxing clients now. :eek: :lol::lol:

I like the look of clean & easy but am worried about making another expensive mistake!

How does the feel of it differ to PhD?
ie do you have to apply any pressure ever or does it just flow?
Do you put it back into the heater after each app?
If so, do you have to take the thermal sleeve off each time?
Do you have to keep it at a consistent 45 degree angle?
Does the wax start to cool down middle/end of treatment if you're not quick enough?

Basically, is it idiot proof?!!!

Sorry for so many Q's - I just need to make sure I make right decision this time- wish there was a way of trying out these things before buying!

I like the look of clean & easy but am worried about making another expensive mistake!

How does the feel of it differ to PhD?
ie do you have to apply any pressure ever or does it just flow?
Do you put it back into the heater after each app?
If so, do you have to take the thermal sleeve off each time?
Do you have to keep it at a consistent 45 degree angle?
Does the wax start to cool down middle/end of treatment if you're not quick enough?

Basically, is it idiot proof?!!!

Sorry for so many Q's - I just need to make sure I make right decision this time- wish there was a way of trying out these things before buying!

I can't compare it to the PhD because I haven't tried that system. You don't have to apply any pressure, the wax just flows in a nice thin even application.

You do have to put the leg cartridges in a plastic/rubbery thermal sleeve that comes with it, the bikini line and eye/lip cartridges you just hold. I suppose if you found them too hot you could fold a paper wax strip around them but I've never needed to.

I personally don't find I need to put the cartridge back into the machine after each application as it stays warm and flowing for a good while. For example I usually do the front of the lower leg, change for the knee, change again for back of leg. You don't need to worry about not being quick enough, simply change the cartridge if it starts cooling down. Takes about five seconds!!

You do need to tip it to 45 degrees initially and wait for some air bubbles to rise before you use it each time as this is the wax filling the roller head I believe. You do need to keep it at roughly 45 degrees when applying but to be honest it works even if not exactly at this!

The only thing I personally don't like about it is that I prefer to have my facial waxing wax a bit cooler than the leg wax and there's only one temperature control dialon it. I therefore use the big waxing spa (for legs and bikini line) and then the little petite one too (for facial waxing) so that I can have it a little cooler. As I'm mobile this is good as if someone just wants say a lip and eyebrow, I just take the small machine.

I hope this of some help to you, please ask if you want to know anything else. I know it is frustrating not being able to have a good go with something before you buy it, it can be a gamble! x

Thanks Stampy for taking the time to reply and pass on all your advice & tips. I am in a dilemma now what to choose!

Latest posts

Back