Help preventing heat spikes with gel....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
I know how and why we can get a heat spike with gel, but how can I prevent it?

At the moment I use The Edge and for p&w we were taught:
Very thin layer put on like polish, cure & don't wipe (sticky layer)
Then white, cure, wipe
Pink, cure & wipe
Buff
Top coat, cure

Am I doing this correctly?
How can I modify to prevent heat spikes as I always seem to get it!

Clear NNO:

Sticky coat, cure, don't wipe
next coat cure
buff
top coat, cure

Would you recommend instead of one coat after the sticky layer doing 2?

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/67046-why-do-gels-go-hot.html?highlight=heat+spikes

I have been through the following thread but need to work out how to modify it to my work.

Thanks geeks xx

You get heat spike if the gel you have applied is too thick, so as the reaction happens the thicker the gel, the more of a exothermic reaction occurs, thus causing the heat spike.

Or it could be that the person who gets the heat spike either has thin nail plates or very sensitive nail plates, so that the curing process is felt more fiercely.

You either have to build up with even thinner layers, curing slightly to help prevent the heat spike, or get the client to put her nails just in the glow and not right under the lamp, so that the reaction is slower and less vigorous, then when it feels okay out under the lamp properly and cure as you would.

Gels go hot because of the photo initiators in the product. This is what makes gels cure.

I'm presuming you don't get a heat spike with the thin layers but only the thicker layer? Do your thicker layer in two thinner coats instead of just one and this will reduce the amount of heat spike.

If you are getting heat spike with all layers, then the nails you are working on are either really thin and damaged, or you are applying too much gel.

There are other gels which have a cooler cure like CND Brisa Gels ... normally no one feels anything other than a mild warm sensation with Brisa. This is because Brisa has fewer photo initiators in the product but you do need a Brisa UV Lamp to cure it.

Are you using the right lamp for your gel..? this can have an effect.

You can flash cure the nails....put the nails in for the count of 5...take them out....back in for 5 and then out for 5..back and then start your timer for a full cure.

Thinner layers help...but don't compromise the strength you need.

Also just to add....you mention applying the first layer of gel like polish....you should apply this layer by working it into the nail...circular movements.

Are you using the right lamp for your gel..? this can have an effect.

You can flash cure the nails....put the nails in for the count of 5...take them out....back in for 5 and then out for 5..back and then start your timer for a full cure.

Thinner layers help...but don't compromise the strength you need.

Also just to add....you mention applying the first layer of gel like polish....you should apply this layer by working it into the nail...circular movements.

Ooh I didn't know that we had to put it on like that, we were taught to do it like polish application but obviously a lot thinner.

I have the matching lamp to product as I'd read on here some where about that ages ago.

I think I must be putting it on to thick to be honest, although I did try to put less on this time.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys:hug:

something else that works well is to place the nails just outside the lamp but in the 'glow' of the light. count to 20 and then put the nails into the lamp for a full cure.

Latest posts

Back