Help!! Ridiculously Greasy Roots!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshroom

Reaction score
I woke up one morning with ridiculously greasy roots. It didn't know why my hair was greasier than usual, but I showered and blew dry my hair. When my hair was all dry, I realized that my roots were still very greasy; to the point where it looked like I hadn't showered in a week. The next day I showered (hoping that the excess grease was just caused by conditioner I forgot to rinse out all the way) and while showering I could feel the greasiness in my hair. I also did not use conditioner. My hair has not gotten any better, and is still unnaturally greasy from the second I get out of the shower. I have also stopped using conditioner and hair products all together.
I asked some of my friends about what could be causing this and all they could come up with is that it might be caused by a change in my diet. My diet has changed since I have been at school (I'm a junior in college) but I have not started eating greasier foods (I read that eating more greasy foods makes your hair greasier). I have stopped eating most meat, and am now eating more healthy foods than usual.
Someone please help me!!! I am sick of wearing ponytails everyday!!!!

Try this next time you shower:

1 Tablespoon of baking soda
1 cup of warm water

wet hair down
pour baking soda solution to entire head
rub in like you are shampooing
Rinse out and shampoo as normal

This will rid your hair and scalp of any buildups you may have.

Eating greasy foods can contribute. As anything that goes in your mouth, comes out your skin, nails and hair not mentioning other areas of the human body. BUT ...greasy food should not effect your hair to the point that shampoo will not remove it. There is something else going on and my guess is your products you are using or maybe a new job that involves greasy conditions such as a hamburger joint?

What hair products ie: shampoo, conditioner, mousse,gel etc are you or were you using?

Also you may want to do a search on the hair forum for greasy hair. There have been quite a few threads about just this problem,

Let me know if the baking soda works.

Thanks so much!
I am currently using Aussie Cleanse and Mend Shampoo, but I am thinking about swithcing (people have suggested that maybe my shampoo is affecting my hair)
And I am planning on trying the baking soda mixture when I shower next (probably tomorrow morning)

So I tried the baking soda mixture (but I actually mixed it up with my shampoo) and it seems to have worked some.
I read on other online sites to wash your hair with baking soda in your shampoo around once a week, is it necessary to do it this often?
I also heard that it can start to bleach your hair, is this true?

no it won't start to bleach your hair, there isn't any lifting action. It will rid your hair of excessive buildups therefore giving your hair a lighter look. Over buildup will make the hair look darker.

Next time follow my directions and use it alone. paying close attention to the root area.
When you put it in your shampoo, you are having the baking soda fight the ingredients in the shampoo also. Thus, not getting the full benefits of it.
It might take a few times to get it all out of your hair.

Ok, I used to have this problem. All of this is from my experience, and IMO.. I'm not a pro, and I certainly dont think I am!! I HTH you!

There are a lot of things that could be the cause of this, so you should try to rule them out one by one. Firstly, if you color your hair, or wash it too much, it can get dry. Your body can sometimes try to combat severe dry scalp/hair for you, by actually making more oils (grease). So, by washing your hair more, you're probably making the problem worse unknowingly! This was my mistake, also.

Different rituals about bathing vary all over the US. I've read a lot of posts on here that suggest not washing your hair every day, but here in NY, it's just so strange to us! If you use a gentle shampoo, if not every day then every other day, you should be fine once you find your balance.

Next is your thyroid. Your thyroid controls your metabolism. People with hyperthyroidism can have a lot of problems, and its much more common in recent years - excessive oil scalp is one of them. I think you should check out the symptoms and make sure you feel OK, just to be safe.

The next thing does have to do with your diet. Your body needs meat to be healthy, so make sure you eat at least your grilled chicken! Beware of the fats and fried things that lurk, especially if you're in the US and in college! (I know, I'm there too!)

I would suggest a light conditioner and a gentle cleaning shampoo.

I would definitely try it!

Goodluck!

When washing hair or brushing it, try to apply additional friction to the scalp by scrubbing to try and eliminate the grease as this will only remove the excess oil from the hair, but will also activate the sebaceous glands into producing even more sebum to try and replace the oils you removed.

Try different shampoos and conditioners.

Apply conditioner to the mids and ends only.

Eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water

Could also be caused by health, stress, diet trauma age etc which is upsetting your hormone levels.

On a lighter note, oily hair looks shiny and is providing your hair with an additional protective barrier from the elements!:smack:

When washing hair or brushing it, try to apply additional friction to the scalp by scrubbing

but will also activate the sebaceous glands into producing even more sebum to try and replace the oils you removed.
Did you type this right? You are saying to apply extra friction ..

but this will get the glands to produce more..

confused!:eek:

it may depend on your age as u are young it cud b down to that, also you don't say if you have added stress,,probably, as you have started junior college! also i did find that under stress or even slight pressure i ran my fingers through my hair alot without even realising it, i have added "greasy" roots myself but dont feel impelled to not add conditioner to the ends only as it will not effect the roots, hope this helps a bit!

Hi
I think one answer might be in the name of that shampoo that you are using, the "mend" bit would sugest to me that it contains serum, which could build up. This is a problem with all two in one shampoos. Also they can give you a flakey scalp.
I would sugest you use a good quality chelating shampoo which will get rid of any build up. You then need to get a shampoo for greasy/ fine hair and a light conditioner that leave no residue when rinsed
hope this helps
Jonathan

I woke up one morning with ridiculously greasy roots. It didn't know why my hair was greasier than usual, but I showered and blew dry my hair. When my hair was all dry, I realized that my roots were still very greasy; to the point where it looked like I hadn't showered in a week. The next day I showered (hoping that the excess grease was just caused by conditioner I forgot to rinse out all the way) and while showering I could feel the greasiness in my hair. I also did not use conditioner. My hair has not gotten any better, and is still unnaturally greasy from the second I get out of the shower. I have also stopped using conditioner and hair products all together.
I asked some of my friends about what could be causing this and all they could come up with is that it might be caused by a change in my diet. My diet has changed since I have been at school (I'm a junior in college) but I have not started eating greasier foods (I read that eating more greasy foods makes your hair greasier). I have stopped eating most meat, and am now eating more healthy foods than usual.
Someone please help me!!! I am sick of wearing ponytails everyday!!!!

Hi there, I don't want to sound patronising in any way, shape or form...but how old are you? Because what's causing the excess oil maybe to do with your hormones.

All women know that sometimes when you have a hormone overload that your hair and skin especially can become more oily and if you are still young then it could be the fact that your hormones are still settling in.

Also, stop using a chemist bought shampoo and conditioner straight away.....the build-up they create themselves will be enough to make your hair greasy!!
Paul Mitchelle Shampoo 2 is excellent for getting rid of build up left by chemist bought shampoos. And then get a shampoo & conditioner from a good salon. Salon brands are the only things good for the hair, chemist shampoos are made for profit not care!! I know salon shampoo's can be expensive, but you only need a little amount so it works out more cost effective in the long run!

Some good salon brands are Paul Mitchelle, Avada, L'Oreal Professional and the new Sexy Hair range is fantastic!!! (I've just started using the Strong Sexy Hair range and my hair feels amazing!!!):green:

a good way to get rid of a build up of grease is to apply the first shampoo to dry hair as the shampoo will cling to the dirt better. you wont get much lather but rinse it out and rewash as normal, then apply conditioner to just the ends. also watch out for shampoo that contains lanolin as i find this makes my hair feel greasy even when its just washed.

Other good pointers are never to use very hot water, and dont massage the scalp too hard, both of which stimulate the sebacious glands that produce the sebum (oil)
Use a quality shampoo as well, you can get rebound greasiness if you strip out all the natural oils from the hair and scalp, then your scalp tries to compensate by producing more oil! Nexxus and Joico both make great shampoos for greasy hair

Latest posts

Back