Help, salon colour gone wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi_xxx

Reaction score
Okay, so I had dark brown hair and fancied a change, to blonde.
I thought, since last time I tried to go blonde myself, it ended horribly, so decided to go professional. What a mistake that was !!

I walked in and said I'd like to go blonde.. they took some hair for a strand test.. and I left waiting for a phone call.
An hour later, they phoned, My strand test was fine, no breakages but the colour wasn't as light as I wanted it to be.
I thought to myself, okay, I'll come down and have a look. It was a lovely honey blonde, so I thought great this might work !

The next day I had my appointment, walked in.. sat down and made myself comfy :)
The hairdresser put a pre-lightener all over my head. Sat there for 40 mins.. got it washed out. Hair was a scary orange colour but thought it would even out as the pro's know what they are doing !
Next she put the dye on top of that. Kept re-applying it every so often.. Sat there for another 1 hour... got it washed out. Orange still visible.
She said to me, I didn't know you had red in your hair. Well shouldn't you of found that out during my 'consultation' ?
Thought to myself, it might look okay once its dried. I asked the hairdresser does it look okay, when she was washing it out. Her reply, Yeah a Lovely honey blonde.
It was not.
Sooo she dried, cut etc etc etc...
Orange still visible.
I payed £70 for this service... I was not happy, but stupidly still paid and left the salon with ginger hair. I'm a pushover when it comes to confrontation. I knew I should of told her I didn't like it.

So now I'm left with ginger hair I don't want!
I want to go back to the salon as soon as I can.. to get it sorted.
I'm using a purple shampoo to try and get rid of the orange but I can't walk around like this and I have college tomorrow

Ohhhh what to do !!!
:(
Sorry for it being so long ! Anybody else had such a bad experience???

Last edited:
Purple shampoo will do naff all!! You need colour correction, going darker! X

As a hairdresser and some one who colours their hair every other month I have to say i have had this occur on more then one occasion (as i am forever going from dark brown to light blonde, its an unfortunate side effect when you have warmth in your hair or any underlying red tones.

Using the silver shampoo will only help over the course of weeks, for a quick fix i would suggest getting a toner over it to even out the "ginger" appearence.

You can get a nice honey colour toner or any colour semi/quasi on the same base level or slightly darker then the colour of your hair now and use that or go to a local hairdressing suppliers and buy a purple toner (for blondes, its the same as the shampoo, only more concentrated).

Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted

Thanks guys!
I know it;s a side effect but why would a hairdresser let me walk out with ginger hair? They should of toned it for me. I payed enough for the service and didn't get the result I wanted :(

I would buy toner myself but where can I buy it from? Can't see it being sold anywhere

Thanks guys!
I know it;s a side effect but why would a hairdresser let me walk out with ginger hair? They should of toned it for me. I payed enough for the service and didn't get the result I wanted :(

I would buy toner myself but where can I buy it from? Can't see it being sold anywhere

Sorry to hear your hair wasn't what you expected.

But, the reason the hairdreser let you leave with ginger hair is because she probably had anothr client in after you.
And if you said it was okay, then how was she to know any different?

let this salon know straight away you were not happy,
and didn't want to say anything as you didn't want to upset the stylist, and felt uncomfortable with confrontation. But you've tried to get used to it, and you don't like it and would like it sorting.

If you were to mess with toners, that you don't know anything about, the salon wouldn't/shouldn't sort it out if you were to mess your hair up.
I know if I were to be in this situation(eg; me being the stylist, you hate your colour, you mess with a toner and make it worse), I would refuse to try fix it FOC - I would do a correction, but would charge for this.

Get back to the salon and get it sorted :)
Good luck!

ETA - Purple shampoo won't touch it. Purple counteracts yellow. Not orange!

As a hairdresser and some one who colours their hair every other month I have to say i have had this occur on more then one occasion (as i am forever going from dark brown to light blonde, its an unfortunate side effect when you have warmth in your hair or any underlying red tones.

Using the silver shampoo will only help over the course of weeks, for a quick fix i would suggest getting a toner over it to even out the "ginger" appearence.

You can get a nice honey colour toner or any colour semi/quasi on the same base level or slightly darker then the colour of your hair now and use that or go to a local hairdressing suppliers and buy a purple toner (for blondes, its the same as the shampoo, only more concentrated).

Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted

we don't recommend the use of professional products to non hair pro's here...it goes against our training and our profession...

to the op...callum pretty much summed that up for you, get yourself back to the salon asap otherwise they may not correct if FOC if you leave it too long...but whatever you do, don't touch it yourself.

Sorry Sammi but £70.00 for colour correction and cut & blow dry?? My salon charges around £30.00 for a cut and blow dry so we are not expensive by any means and for the sort of service you have described we would have charged...

Colour strip £25.00 - £45.00
Full head foil and colour inbetween £67.50
Toner for the hi lights after £10.00 - £15.00
Treatment £6.50
CBD £29.50 - £36.50

Max cost around £180.00

We would NEVER strip out a colour to get to a blonde using a full head tint, it never works that well because there are always too many red tones throughout the hair. Double erasing the whole head would make it far too dry and this is why we always go for stripping and then a full head hi light with a darker blonde or lighter brown in between. Although we do advise that the hair will be dry and to use a high quality shampoo and conditioner after (another £25.00) This way you will get really good results.

My advice would be to go back and have the full head foils etc to get the blonde you want. I can't really see another way unless you tone your hair down. Purple shampoo won't do what you want.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Xx

Also... Forgot to say.... Your hair is now very porous and very unpredictable. It may reject colour or may suck it up like a sponge. DONT tone it yourself it could go really dark or greeny/grey etc etc. if you cant afford to get it sorted in the salon use a box semi that's a warm dark blonde or warm light brown. A neutral blonde or brown may work too it you are still really reddish. That may get you out of being ginger but will obviously put you almost back to where you began.
:sad:

Also... Forgot to say.... Your hair is now very porous and very unpredictable. It may reject colour or may suck it up like a sponge. DONT tone it yourself it could go really dark or greeny/grey etc etc. if you cant afford to get it sorted in the salon use a box semi that's a warm dark blonde or warm light brown. A neutral blonde or brown may work too it you are still really reddish. That may get you out of being ginger but will obviously put you almost back to where you began.
:sad:

We don't recommend box colours here.

If money is really tight, you're best bet would be to find a salon that has nvq3 trainee's in need of colour correction models, most will just charge you for the colour that is used, which obviously will be more than a box colour from tesco, but atleast you know it's not wrecking your hair as much and a professional is doing it for you, not just guess work on your behalf :)

but as i said above, get back to the salon that did it...if they are respectable enough, they will correct it for you...if not, i wouldn't want them near my hair anymore anyway!

hey guys! wow thanks for all the comments!

I went back to the salon today and said I weren't happy with the colour and the stylist was like 'I'm just trying to think of what to do to your hair'

:/ aren't you meant to know that?

Anyways, she put a dark blonde dye on to try 'cover' up the ginger.
Didn't work, I'm now dark ginger !

I really don't know what to do guys, If I go to another salon, they will charge me for a correction.
If i do it myself, risk damaging my hair further and it going wrong even more :(

I bought Smart Blonde High-lift hair lightener and platinum blonde conditioning toner from Superdrug.
Apparently it lightens up to 7 shades, I'm no hairdresser :/

I did a strand test and it's not lightened very well :(

Scu8a8uddy - My hairdresser didn't even know I had red tones in my hair as she didn't check it :/ so she just went and bleached my whole head but I trusted them.. and mentioned putting a toner on and they tried to get out of it ? A full head of foils will cost even more money for me in which I don't have :(

Ohhh what to do!

I would go back and say you r not happy you asked for honey blond and its dark ginger. this is not what the strand test looked like and not what the stylist said it would look like otherwise you would not have had it done. Then suggest they put in a full head of foils to lift it and hopefully reduce the ginger. but be open to the fact you may still have alot of warmth there. and that you may have to give your hair a break from all the processing.x

I had an identical experience with a mobile hair tech!!

I was so angry and felt so humiliated - and I was definately NOT letting her touch my hair ever again.

So.... I went to my local salon, walked in and asked for help. Needless to say their jaws dropped when I took off my hat and showed them the disaster.

The senior hair dresser, spent 20 minutes looking and touching and humming and haaing...........

What she did was a miracle and I'll always remember her........She took a dark brown colour, but instead of mixing it with the chemical solution - she mixed it with water. My hair was that porus it took like a dream. She put it through my hair and wrapped it in plastic, put me under the heater chair (Haven't got a clue what they are called LOL), left me there for 20 minutes, took me out washed my hair dried it and BANG beautiful light brown with undertones of blonde.

Went back every few week for foils and the end result after all this time? Beautiful blonde locks.

Maybe you could ask you salon if this is a viable course of action for you?

Big hugs, I feel so sorry for what you are going through:Love:

The salon I went too, seemed like they had no clue in what they were doing! I'm so angry..
I know its bad, But i've attempted it myself. Not putting myself through another 3 wasted hours at a salon :(
I bleached my hair 3 days ago and my roots went blonde and my ends went orange
Dying my hair an ash blonde today to try and get rid of the orange?
Hope it works as I need to go out tomorrow!!

Thanks alot guys for all your comments and help! :)

xxx

The salon I went too, seemed like they had no clue in what they were doing! I'm so angry..
I know its bad, But i've attempted it myself. Not putting myself through another 3 wasted hours at a salon :(
I bleached my hair 3 days ago and my roots went blonde and my ends went orange
Dying my hair an ash blonde today to try and get rid of the orange?
Hope it works as I need to go out tomorrow!!

Thanks alot guys for all your comments and help! :)

xxx

oh dear well don't bother asking for advice here in future if you're going to go against everything the pro's have told you...i can't see how what you have don't to your hair will look anywhere near how you'd like...i'm guessing purple tinge to the roots and bright orange ends feeling nice and dry!

honest hun same happened to me av been to a few salons now and they cant seem to get it right still ginger lol this is a really good site and you can get good advice but it really does piss me off when you get the odd one banging on about being a professional giving no good advice apart from go to a salon well that's what I have done and am still ginger so whats my options now ???

Latest posts

Back