Help! Salon ruined my hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferris1984

Reaction score
Hello hair geeks,

So I spent 2 years growing out a dyed black bob into natural, below shoulder length hair. I decided my hair was in good enough condition for a perm, I have always wanted curly hair and was willing to accept some reasonable loss of condition in exchange for curls! So I went to a local salon with a very good reputation (5 star review salon, won various Wella and HJ awards). They also have creative perming advertised in their window. So I thought I was in totally trustworthy hands.

The stylist was new at the salon but she was experienced (older lady). I had a full consultation and she took a cutting but did no test curls. I explained I wanted a loose curl and didn’t want to lose any length from my hair. Then a week later has the perm done. She used sensitive or mild solution because I have fine hair. Didn’t process for very long. She then found after removal and washing there wasn’t much curl. So she cut my hair even though I’d told her I didn’t want it cut. At this point though I didn’t mind so long as my hair was curly.

48 hours later the perm has dropped and front parts and back of my hair are completely straight. So I went back to salon and they said I’d been touching my hair so it had fallen out. They re permed it (another stylist did it this time so it seemed clear the other hadn’t been confident). This time used normal strength solution and processed it for longer. Afterwards there was a curl so I was sent away happy. Had a follow up appointment 1 week later, my hair seemed ok but had dropped slightly again. They told me this was due to incorrect styling. So they washed and blow dried and sent me away.

8 weeks later, even with following all after care and styling advice (wise tooth comb only, sulphate and paraben free shampoo, deep conditioning, only diffusion dry once a week) my hair suddenly was extremely dry and frizzy. I couldn’t get a curl into it through wetting and scrunching, I stopped using my hair dryer because it was damaged. Hair was taking up to 3 hours to dry after washing and soaking up masses of conditioner every time I washed it.

Appointments at this salon combined cost £160. They didn’t charge me for the 2nd perm but did for everything else.

yesterday went to another salon for an Olaplex treatment because my hair was falling out with combing and washing, and 3 hours to dry. This cost £120 including buying Olaplex products for home use. Hairdresser found my hair was snapped off at the back and front hairline. She said it was badly over processed and she took photos of it for me. She had to cut another 3 inches off my hair because of the damage.

So I started with below shoulder mostly virgin hair, and ended with an extremely damaged bob. I have lost 6 inches of hair and I have no curl left. I have attached some photos of before and after. I have sent a complaint letter to the salon with the photos. All they have said is “we will look into it”, no apology, nothing.

what should I do next and what do you hair geeks think about the situation? I think they are going to blame me even though they commented on what great condition my hair was in before they permed it. The photos show before, during the perm and after the Olaplex treatment.
Liz

Attachments

• AACCB6C8-DFB6-4E74-84C3-0CDAFBDA4820.jpeg
    AACCB6C8-DFB6-4E74-84C3-0CDAFBDA4820.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 272
  • D4B2668D-1970-40A6-87BE-2F3A51A3D481.jpeg
    D4B2668D-1970-40A6-87BE-2F3A51A3D481.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 260
  • B4166ED0-7B22-45A5-9903-17A3043D8EC9.jpeg
    B4166ED0-7B22-45A5-9903-17A3043D8EC9.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 2F75BAF8-AB6C-4254-A31E-A01B7287C791.jpeg
    2F75BAF8-AB6C-4254-A31E-A01B7287C791.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 267
  • F81A9B06-FBD4-4BB6-9731-7B15F9A31942.jpeg
    F81A9B06-FBD4-4BB6-9731-7B15F9A31942.jpeg
    841.7 KB · Views: 268
This is the broken pieces of hair

Attachments

• 835DE4FA-0976-4CB7-B79E-8B2D68BADBE0.jpeg
    835DE4FA-0976-4CB7-B79E-8B2D68BADBE0.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 4E755292-15E2-415C-8E94-F9A1E0FACEAD.jpeg
    4E755292-15E2-415C-8E94-F9A1E0FACEAD.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 154
To be honest there isn't much you can do about your hair now other than make sure you look after it the best you can. As for the salon, generally a cutting of your hair is taken for an incompatibility test, I've never performed a test curl for someone. An incompatibility test will reveal any contraindications. I personally feel like the first hairdresser should have used a solution for normal hair. The breakage has happened because the second hairdresser used normal over already permed hair. If I was to do this, on the second perm I would have still used a solution for chemically treated hair, because although there was no curl left, your hair has still been exposed to the perming solution, meaning it is now chemically treated and more sensitive. You could go back to the original a salon, ask to speak with the manager and show them the breakage, even if you get a free course of treatments and a sincere apology that's something.
As for having your hair cut after the perm, it's pretty much standard practice to check the ends, more often than not take the ends off, because sometimes the ends are left in poorer condition than the rest of the hair, cutting these off will avoid frizyy, unruly ends. Out of curiosity what were you using on your hair before you had the perms?

To be honest there isn't much you can do about your hair now other than make sure you look after it the best you can. As for the salon, generally a cutting of your hair is taken for an incompatibility test, I've never performed a test curl for someone. An incompatibility test will reveal any contraindications. I personally feel like the first hairdresser should have used a solution for normal hair. The breakage has happened because the second hairdresser used normal over already permed hair. If I was to do this, on the second perm I would have still used a solution for chemically treated hair, because although there was no curl left, your hair has still been exposed to the perming solution, meaning it is now chemically treated and more sensitive. You could go back to the original a salon, ask to speak with the manager and show them the breakage, even if you get a free course of treatments and a sincere apology that's something.
As for having your hair cut after the perm, it's pretty much standard practice to check the ends, more often than not take the ends off, because sometimes the ends are left in poorer condition than the rest of the hair, cutting these off will avoid frizyy, unruly ends. Out of curiosity what were you using on your hair before you had the perms?

Thanks for this. I realise a trim would be normal, she actually removed 3 inches of hair though - also, the cut was uneven, shorter layers at the back. I think she was trying to bounce the curl up. And then I’ve lost another 3 inches at the next hairdresser due to split ends. Before the perm, I did not heat style my hair at all - or use styling products. All I used on it was sulphate/paraben free shampoo and conditioner. I have sent the first salon a complaint email with all of the photos. They’ve said they are “looking into it”.

The second hairdresser (the olaplex one) said that using normal solution on the second perm, over the top of the mild solution was definitely the problem - exactly as you’ve said here. She also said she thought they had processed it for too long to try and ensure a curl. She also pointed out the cut was uneven, probably because I said I didn’t want to lose much length so she tried to take more off at the back. She also said she would have done a test curl if I had told her my hair didn’t usually hold a curl well (which is the case). She didn’t say she would do it in any other situation.

I realise that’s not common practice however it does make sense to me that could be a good idea, if someone is saying their hair is resistant to curling usually.

Thanks for this. I realise a trim would be normal, she actually removed 3 inches of hair though - also, the cut was uneven, shorter layers at the back. I think she was trying to bounce the curl up. And then I’ve lost another 3 inches at the next hairdresser due to split ends. Before the perm, I did not heat style my hair at all - or use styling products. All I used on it was sulphate/paraben free shampoo and conditioner. I have sent the first salon a complaint email with all of the photos. They’ve said they are “looking into it”.

The second hairdresser (the olaplex one) said that using normal solution on the second perm, over the top of the mild solution was definitely the problem - exactly as you’ve said here. She also said she thought they had processed it for too long to try and ensure a curl. She also pointed out the cut was uneven, probably because I said I didn’t want to lose much length so she tried to take more off at the back. She also said she would have done a test curl if I had told her my hair didn’t usually hold a curl well (which is the case). She didn’t say she would do it in any other situation.

I realise that’s not common practice however it does make sense to me that could be a good idea, if someone is saying their hair is resistant to curling usually.
3 inches seems excessive providing your hair was in good condition. Yeah the second hairdresser is 100% correct. Olaplex is a fantastic product also, keep up with Olaplex and a really good quality shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair and your hair will become much more manageable. Yes it does seem like a good idea. Did salon No1 explain why they took a test cutting? Do you know how long the first and second perms were left on? And how long the neutralises were left on?

3 inches seems excessive providing your hair was in good condition. Yeah the second hairdresser is 100% correct. Olaplex is a fantastic product also, keep up with Olaplex and a really good quality shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair and your hair will become much more manageable. Yes it does seem like a good idea. Did salon No1 explain why they took a test cutting? Do you know how long the first and second perms were left on? And how long the neutralises were left on?

The first perm was on for approx 15 - 20 mins. The second perm approximately 35 mins. I remember thinking the first time it didn’t seem like long to process. They said the test cutting was to make sure my hair was strong enough to take a perm. I had 1 inch of old black colour on the ends of my hair (dye was 2 years old, the rest was virgin hair). The cutting was from the dyed ends only.

She cut the coloured hair off after the perm, plus 2 inches of virgin hair, so I don’t think the dye is the reason it was cut. She gave me the result a few minutes later) she said there was no issues with the tested hair, the test was fine.

I have totally realised the value of Olaplex! My hair is a horrible texture and length, and broken. But the amount of moisture it’s gained from Olaplex is truly impressive lol! It actually feels normal again, just doesn’t look very good.

As @ronray says, go back and complain. Hopefully, they’ll accept they messed up and will offer you either a refund or some deep conditioning treatments.

Olaplex No. 3 isn’t a conditioner, it repairs the broken bonds within the hair. So you still need to use a moisturising conditioner, plus I recommend using a deep conditioning mask every couple of weeks for now.

Olaplex do sell a shampoo and conditioner too (4&5), so I don’t know if you’ve bought just the repair treatment or the shampoo and conditioner as well? However, a good salon quality conditioner will be fine to use alongside the Olaplex.

Not sure if you’ve been advised how to use a diffuser nozzle but just in case... When you diffuse dry your curly hair, you’re meant to let the hair sit inside the diffuser on a low heat setting without moving it about. If you fluff it around, it can make it go frizzy.

Unfortunately, perming isn’t an essential unit in training at the moment so some colleges don’t include it and a lot of hairdressers haven’t done any training at all on perms. When I trained I did basic perming and an advanced perming unit on level 3 as there’s a lot you can learn about different perming products and techniques.

As @ronray says, go back and complain. Hopefully, they’ll accept they messed up and will offer you either a refund or some deep conditioning treatments.

Olaplex No. 3 isn’t a conditioner, it repairs the broken bonds within the hair. So you still need to use a moisturising conditioner, plus I recommend using a deep conditioning mask every couple of weeks for now.

Olaplex do sell a shampoo and conditioner too (4&5), so I don’t know if you’ve bought just the repair treatment or the shampoo and conditioner as well? However, a good salon quality conditioner will be fine to use alongside the Olaplex.

Not sure if you’ve been advised how to use a diffuser nozzle but just in case... When you diffuse dry your curly hair, you’re meant to let the hair sit inside the diffuser on a low heat setting without moving it about. If you fluff it around, it can make it go frizzy.

Unfortunately, perming isn’t an essential unit in training at the moment so some colleges don’t include it and a lot of hairdressers haven’t done any training at all on perms. When I trained I did basic perming and an advanced perming unit on level 3 as there’s a lot you can learn about different perming products and techniques.

I’ve just done an elasticity test on my own hair - cut some strands, pinched them between my fingers and then pulled them like an elastic band. They literally stretch like a rubber band and then snap in half. With only a gentle pull. I have bought Olaplex shampoo and conditioner, my worry right now is my hair will just break and fall out anyway.

I got a reply from the salon. They’ve told me it’s my own fault my hair is ruined because I stopped using a hairdryer and having wet hair would damage it. They said I was happy customer and didn’t go back to them to have anything fixed (I went there 3 times). They said they won’t accept responsibility for anything because I went to another hairdressers even though it was obviously an emergency and they are always booked up. Said they’ve consulted
some professional body no doubt for legal advice. They’ve offered me Olaplex treatments, but if they won’t admit responsibility can I even trust them with my hair at all?

Right now I’m just terrified all my hair is going to fall out and I can’t stop crying. Clearly they don’t care at all about any of this. It’s a nightmare!

It’s taking all of my self control not to just go down there and be so angry they won’t know what to do. They have basically accused me of falsifying information to get money. When all I care about is my hair. They’ve destroyed it and they don’t even care - all they care about is whether they get found out or not. Attached is the email they sent me.

Attachments

• C754A38B-3A92-436A-AE6A-10C5C0126D7B.jpeg
    C754A38B-3A92-436A-AE6A-10C5C0126D7B.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 80
  • CDD56EFB-2AFC-453A-823B-CC95D5B2A948.jpeg
    CDD56EFB-2AFC-453A-823B-CC95D5B2A948.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 77
  • D1D313D7-6CA7-48C6-96F9-DE8D6CD0CBD3.jpeg
    D1D313D7-6CA7-48C6-96F9-DE8D6CD0CBD3.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 77
It’s taking all of my self control not to just go down there and be so angry they won’t know what to do. They have basically accused me of falsifying information to get money. When all I care about is my hair. They’ve destroyed it and they don’t even care - all they care about is whether they get found out or not. Attached is the email they sent me.
Have they seen the damage they have caused or just seen what you've written in your email? Take them up on the offer of the olapex, and let them see what they've done, explain the only thing that has been done is a cut and Olaplex, no other chemical services have been done. If you're really not happy, I'd send them a solicitors letter.

Have they seen the damage they have caused or just seen what you've written in your email? Take them up on the offer of the olapex, and let them see what they've done, explain the only thing that has been done is a cut and Olaplex, no other chemical services have been done. If you're really not happy, I'd send them a solicitors letter.

I went to the salon on Saturday - they requested I go and gave me an appointment. I have informed them only a cut & Olaplex has been done. I was there for approx 30 minutes, the appointment consisted of the salon manager grilling me about what I’d done to my hair since the perm was done.
She didn’t look at my hair, until I said there was a lot of broken hair. She then asked a stylist to check my hair for broken pieces. They said there weren’t any other than the ones in photos, which was a lie. My hair is very fine and is clumping together because of how dry it is. I went home and made a video of me gently lifting all the broken hairs out using a comb/static. They are all over my head.

They have cut some pieces out of my hair to send to the Wella laboratory. They said they needed to check the products used aren’t to blame. I imagine they are also ‘checking’ my hair to see if I’ve lied about what I’ve put on it since the perm. My hair has gone lighter since the perm and looks almost bleached in places. She said it’s ‘impossible’ for a perm to lighten virgin hair or to damage your hair to this extent, and it’s an ‘unusual’ reaction. So basically they are looking for any reason other than over processing. The whole thing was really embarrassing, my worry obviously is that all my hair will break off. They haven’t acknowledged that’s a possibility or shown any real concern for me, their concern is mainly the salon I guess. However I haven’t said to them I will take legal action. I don’t know what to make of it all.

I will consult with a solicitor again once they get the test results back and tell me the results.

They have complained a lot about me having it cut by another hairdresser. Saying I shouldn’t have done that because they can’t see the condition. They also said I paid too much money at the other salon, and that “most people call us for a follow up instead of going elsewhere”. I went to them three times! And is it any wonder I went elsewhere when the place had walk in appointments and my hair was so dry. Oh yeah and they also said “you’d be very lucky to have any perm left after 3 months, they don’t last that long”. Because it has mostly dropped. This is nonsense surely?

Thank you for your advice. I have been leaving conditioner on overnight which is at least making it look slightly better. I understand about lack of training in perms. However this salon says in their window “Creative perms available - book a consultation”. So from that I assumed they would have stylists who were skilled in perms.

They have complained a lot about me having it cut by another hairdresser. Saying I shouldn’t have done that because they can’t see the condition. They also said I paid too much money at the other salon, and that “most people call us for a follow up instead of going elsewhere”. I went to them three times! And is it any wonder I went elsewhere when the place had walk in appointments and my hair was so dry. Oh yeah and they also said “you’d be very lucky to have any perm left after 3 months, they don’t last that long”. Because it has mostly dropped. This is nonsense surely?
3 months you should still have perm left, but it wouldn't be anything like it would have been when freshly done. How much you paid at another salon is nothing to do with them and is irrelevant I don't know why they have an opinion on that. Did they offer any advice or apology for the condition?

Ce
3 months you should still have perm left, but it wouldn't be anything like it would have been when freshly done. How much you paid at another salon is nothing to do with them and is irrelevant I don't know why they have an opinion on that. Did they offer any advice or apology for the condition?

Definitely no apology as their whole angle is that there’s no real damage and also finding reasons it wasn’t caused by them. Which is contradictory in itself. They haven’t offered any advice either. But they are calling me when the lab tests come back.

Lab tests?? Now I'm really intrigued!

The picture showing you with the original perm looks great!
I can see in the first photo there is still quite a lot of black colour in your hair - so I completely understand why that needed cutting off.
A soft perm on one length hair creates more of a wave effect as opposed to a curl.
If you want a curl, then a few layers would be the way to go.
I would expect your perm to last approximately 3 - 5 months

Lab tests?? Now I'm really intrigued!

They said Wella weren’t offering that service anymore so they were told to do the tests in the salon - they rang me saying my hair is “very strong” (clearly not that strong because it is snapping off). I’ve had no choice but to consult a solicitor, because they told me to see a Trichologist and I can’t afford that unless I make a claim. Solicitor said no hair brand would conduct lab tests for individual salons, and it would be impressive to recreate them in a salon environment due to lack of lab equipment and/or scientific knowledge required.

The picture showing you with the original perm looks great!
I can see in the first photo there is still quite a lot of black colour in your hair - so I completely understand why that needed cutting off.
A soft perm on one length hair creates more of a wave effect as opposed to a curl.
If you want a curl, then a few layers would be the way to go.
I would expect your perm to last approximately 3 - 5 months

It did look great initially, but definitely not anymore!

They didn’t discuss the cut with me unfortunately. The first cut wasn’t so bad, but I’ve now got short hair due to all the dry and split ends having to be cut off recently. I’ve never had broken hair before in my life. Here is a picture of what it’s like on the top of my head.

Attachments

• 8F543B9E-4F3B-4F5C-8C39-4EB6BA56F68D.jpeg
    8F543B9E-4F3B-4F5C-8C39-4EB6BA56F68D.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back