Help! Scared to hand in notice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty88

Reaction score
In desperate need of some dutch courage. I have only been employed by my current boss for 3 nearly 4 months. I started working here after being at a salon for over 4 years which i desperatly needed to get out of.
They were my life savers at that time but as the months have progressed im starting to seriously dislike working there. I find my boss extremely patronising and because i have over 8 years experience in the industry (and am good at my job through being so passionate) i find she is slightly intimidated by me therefor has to keep making sly remarks to make sure i remember who is boss!
When i started looking for another job (to get out of my 4 year salon) i applied for my current position and also a few more beauty jobs to keep my options open. I recieved a phone call last week from one of the other salons offering me a self employed position or to rent a room should i be interested.
I find this fate as the night before the phone call i decided i wanted to work for myself and go mobile. I have a meetin with the lady tomorrow which im really excited about and now i know i definatly want to leave my current job. Im petrified to tell them as i only have been there for a short while and i need to pay them back money for training.
The salon has really started to pick up since i have been there and i know they have been s*** on by other staff before (can understand why now) putting that aside, i still want to leave on good terms and dont want to destroy what has built up for them.
I just want to work my months notice and leave on good terms but im not sure that they understand how to be reasonable and i can see them being nasty with me....HELP!!!! what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in almost the exact same position this past Jan. I left a salon I was at for 5years due to a new owner taking over and was the biggest nightmare to work for....I was taken on quickly at a new salon....but after about 2monts realized it wasn't going to work out....she wanted me to put in sooo much effort to build up clients for her salon...not just for me but to help for the other gals there too....I got fed up putting in the effort for someone else and decided to quit and put the same effort into ME. I have been self employed mobile since and haven't regreted it! I think doing what's best for you is what you should do...makeing sure that you let them know you will pay back what you owe for the training will help make the split more friendly but there is no gaurantee that it will remain that way once you leave. If you truely feel it's the best for you to leave then jump in...it will be the best in the long run! Good Luck!

Hey,

As harsh as it is I'd look after number 1 which is you at this point. But one thing I would say is make sure you have finalised something 100% signed sealed and delivered before you hand in your notice. Or even go part time, then Go part time self employed at this other place and when you have enough clients on the self employed side you can leave the employed position with the patronising boss. But do tell both parties what you are doing as its not worth making enemies.

I agree it's best not to burn bridges but it takes two for this not happen just do what you can your side and be as honest as possible with your head held high you will have nothing to lose really. The salon you work at may have given you a chance to get out of the last one but you've got them sme business and made it busier there so yiu've given something back....

If you are not happy now it will only get worse as time goes on. It's hard but bite the bullet and look after yourself. It sounds like a fab opportunity. Good luck xx

Sorry did you say you have only been there 3 months ?
Just pay back training money and get out NOW !
Before someone else rents that pace :)
Your boss would prob not want you to work a months notice because it's a month for you to poach their clients :)

I was in almost the exact same position this past Jan. I left a salon I was at for 5years due to a new owner taking over and was the biggest nightmare to work for....I was taken on quickly at a new salon....but after about 2monts realized it wasn't going to work out....she wanted me to put in sooo much effort to build up clients for her salon...not just for me but to help for the other gals there too....I got fed up putting in the effort for someone else and decided to quit and put the same effort into ME. I have been self employed mobile since and haven't regreted it! I think doing what's best for you is what you should do...makeing sure that you let them know you will pay back what you owe for the training will help make the split more friendly but there is no gaurantee that it will remain that way once you leave. If you truely feel it's the best for you to leave then jump in...it will be the best in the long run! Good Luck!
And how did your boss of 2 months react? It's the reaction I'm worried about. I have also been to see the lady today whos salon I will be self employed in and am extremely interested which means I'm gonna have to hand my notice in very soon in the hope my trade test goes okay. Eeeeek!!!! I think I'm quite anxious about takin the jump towards being self employed as well as its not a garunteed wage. How did you find the first few months of working for yourself with your income?

If you are not happy now it will only get worse as time goes on. It's hard but bite the bullet and look after yourself. It sounds like a fab opportunity. Good luck xx
Really appreciate your words of wisdom. I feel much more headstrong after hearing peoples opinions. Thanks

You'll look back on this once your self employed and wonder what you were stressing for, look after number one and stop worrying. Good luck. :hug:

And how did your boss of 2 months react? It's the reaction I'm worried about. I have also been to see the lady today whos salon I will be self employed in and am extremely interested which means I'm gonna have to hand my notice in very soon in the hope my trade test goes okay. Eeeeek!!!! I think I'm quite anxious about takin the jump towards being self employed as well as its not a garunteed wage. How did you find the first few months of working for yourself with your income?

I told her that I had an oportunity I couldn't pass on and would be leaving on 'blank' day. She seemed fine with it and I gave her enough time to find someone to replace me.

It takes a while to build up your clients. It's not imediate, it can take years. I started out in Jan and have almost broke even. But will be needing supplies again soon...more in the red....but each day I am growing and one day I'll be able to fully pay myself :) It's rewarding to be able to do all this work for myself...not someone elses pocket. It'll be a longer process to $ but a much more satisfactory one!

if you do the right thing, give the full amount of notice, pay back the training and be professional etc they can leave with your head held high.

If she doesnt take your notice period and tells you to go sooner, then thats her choice but you did the right thing and in the end thats all that matters

I dont take staff anymore, im a good boss generous and kind, and all my staff in the past except one girl have ripped the piddle out of me . horrible little madams, they have spoilt it for others . the one girl I would always take back though is a diamond, but works for herself now and we spray each other.

Its good to leave on excellent terms . you just never know when paths cross again.

if you do the right thing, give the full amount of notice, pay back the training and be professional etc they can leave with your head held high.

If she doesnt take your notice period and tells you to go sooner, then thats her choice but you did the right thing and in the end thats all that matters

I dont take staff anymore, im a good boss generous and kind, and all my staff in the past except one girl have ripped the piddle out of me . horrible little madams, they have spoilt it for others . the one girl I would always take back though is a diamond, but works for herself now and we spray each other.

Its good to leave on excellent terms . you just never know when paths cross again.
what made this one girl be different from the others? im not someone who likes to let people down and as much is im startin to resent workin there i still dont want them to be offended by me deciding to leave. i have no intention of poaching their clients and do honestly want them to continue being busy by me workin my notice in which time they find somebody to replace me.

I had to leave a salon a few years ago , i loved it there but the owners made it quite a difficult place to work, i like your self had every intention of working my notice.

i was leaving a 10 room salon to set up myself in a single room above a hairdressers. My handing my notice did not go down well at all
they through me out of the salon in a blaze of swear words accusing me of stealing clients etc ( the decision to leave and set up was in the space of 1 week , very spur of the moment lol)

i left in floods of tears , however

I HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK !!

They made it incredibly difficult for me regarding clients bad mouthing me all over town, however my reputation as a good honest therapist held me in good stead and many of those clients started coming to me .

Do what is good for you, you are doing nothing wrong by wanting to better yourself , just go for it, i am the happiest i have ever been as i'm sure you will be too xxxxx

sorry if i am repeating - havent had time to view all responses.

look out for #1, that is one lesson i have learnt in life!!! she wouldnt care if she wanted to lay you off! x

Completely agree with Tigi, plus you may want a reference one day, will not look good if you leave on bad terms and you can't ask your old bosses for one.

I'll also second never taking on staff again. Sometimes they are not worth the problems they cause. It only takes a couple of bad apples to put salon owners off, which is such a shame because there are some lovely stylists/therapists out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back