Help, severe bleach allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
I have platinum blonde hair. I have using bleach directly on my scalp for 15 years. For the last few years I have been getting terrible headaches when the bleach is applied. Over the years the process has gotten more and more painful, but I just delt with it because I love the blonde. The last two times I did my roots, my arms became extremely itchy, and I had hives all over my hands. The bleach was also so painful I could barely complete the lifting process. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there any way I can keep getting platinum blonde without hurting myself? I am dirty blonde/light brown naturally. Would an ammonia free bleach achieve a platinum color? My hairdresser said with her experience it won't work :( has anyone tried it and have it work? If so, what brand do you recommend using? And please don't ask me to change the color, I look awful with dark hair so it isn't an option for me.

Thanks for the help :)

Why don't you just get full head of foils? You are obviously having a bad reaction and should stop having it applied to your scalp x

If your hairdresser says your idea won't work, then why would you think any of our Hair Pros would tell you otherwise ?

You are risking your health here, not only with chemical burns, but a severe allergic reaction can actually kill you ! This is not scaremongering it is fact.
Is blonde hair really worth that risk?

If you fairly light naturally has your hairdresser not tried ultra high lift tints? Personally I'd advise a softer shade because really thinking about it.... Is platinum blonde really worth potentially dying for? You obv have a very bad allergy to it, and you can lose your hair altogether with bleach allergies if its effecting your skin with sores etc. (doesnt happen often but can) i don't mean to scare you but this is what your facing!

Your options are either full head foils (she could do back to back one slice one weave so you get 75% of your hair) or a highlift tint.

Has she tried alternate bleaches? What make is she using do you know? Because there are a few specifically designed for the scalp and joico on scalp is just amazing! Lifts super light and is very kind to your scalp, you may get a reaction, but you may not. I've not used others to suggest.

Good luck, but please think of your health before allowing her to put some more bleach on it... If I was your hairdresser I'd refuse :(

And ammonia free lifting colours are no good for your hair Hun, they have an alternate chemical in as the ammonia has a job to do which must be done when lifting hair.

Will I sound ultra vain if I reply with "yes. Being platinum blonde IS worth dying for?"

I've had my hair every other color and they look either decend, or awful on me. And I can't settle with decent...

She has not tried any other bleach brands, she is using Wella Blondor on me. But in the past years ago I would get the same headache with other bleach brands on. I've had bad chemical burns also, scabs all over my scalp sometimes. And skin flaking almost every time for the past few years. The color has always been worth the pain and scabbing. I am absolutely traumetized at the thought of not being able to do my hair :(

The full head foils are a good idea. Should I ask her to use the same brand with this method or should I buy a different brand and bring it with me? (I am esthetician so I can buy professional hair products). And what is an ultra high lift tint? I've never heard of it.

Will I sound ultra vain if I reply with "yes. Being platinum blonde IS worth dying for?"

I've had my hair every other color and they look either decend, or awful on me. And I can't settle with decent...

She has not tried any other bleach brands, she is using Wella Blondor on me. But in the past years ago I would get the same headache with other bleach brands on. I've had bad chemical burns also, scabs all over my scalp sometimes. And skin flaking almost every time for the past few years. The color has always been worth the pain and scabbing. I am absolutely traumetized at the thought of not being able to do my hair :(

The full head foils are a good idea. Should I ask her to use the same brand with this method or should I buy a different brand and bring it with me? (I am esthetician so I can buy professional hair products). And what is an ultra high lift tint? I've never heard of it.

I love my hair but not to the point where I will suffer in pain for it! That's just plain stupid! Don't mean to be rude, definetly get foils done, you will still feel very blonde. You can still use the same product x

sorry did i read that right?its worth dying for?! I am mortified!
can you imagine how she would feel if you did end up in hospital..or worse? I would be devastated. Try foils by all means but please if you have a reaction your body is telling you something needs to change.:eek:

Will I sound ultra vain if I reply with "yes. Being platinum blonde IS worth dying for?" I've had my hair every other color and they look either decend, or awful on me. And I can't settle with decent...
I've had bad chemical burns also, scabs all over my scalp sometimes. And skin flaking almost every time for the past few years. The color has always been worth the pain and scabbing. I am absolutely traumetized at the thought of not being able to do my hair :(

Seriously? You need a psychiatrist not a hairdresser.

are you bleaching it or your hairdresser? what developer is being used?

I understand what you are going through. I am a die-hard-platinum-blonde. Like you, I also have had my hair bleached for 15 years. Allergies run in my family. My grandma then mom turned allergic to makeup after awhile, so I wonder if I'm pushing my luck with bleach exposure. I dread the day I can't get my hair bleached anymore.

* During those 15 years, I have had stints with almost all major hair brands that salons have used on me. I have sensitive rosy skin, but surprisingly my scalp can actually handle being bleached ok. However, there was one exception: Wella.

Both Wella salons I tried caused oozing open sores in my scalp after getting my hair bleached or colored there. When looking for a new salon, I always have to call ahead first and ask what brands they use (but don't tell them why you're asking, so you can get an honest answer from them), to screen for this. It might be something to consider, to use a different brand salon before your poor scalp is trashed. Goldwell salons work the best for me, and one time a lady used some Italian brand of hair bleach (I can't remember the name) that was really gentle too, even though the Organic brand toner she used afterwards was an ugly color blonde. Aveda dried my hair out.

* Also, like someone mentioned, are they using too strong of a bleach? With light brown hair, it shouldn't be anything stronger than 20 volume.

* With your scalp being sensitive, are you waiting about a month in between touch-ups?

* After you get your hair bleached, do they used a permanent hair color, or a non-reactive toner? Permanent hair color chemically burns my scalp even a lot more than bleach does, so I don't allow it on my hair. But using the non-reactive toners (such as Goldwell Colorance, for example) instead feel soothing on my scalp.

Please speak up for yourself and always ask about these things, to see what's going on with how your hair is being done.

Good luck for you and your pretty hair, and I hope things get better.

Last edited:
Why don't you talk to your doctor and get some allergy testing done to find out exactly what ingredient you are allergic to? Sounds like an allergy to Ammonium/Potassium/Sodium Persulfate.

Why don't you talk to your doctor and get some allergy testing done to find out exactly what ingredient you are allergic to? Sounds like an allergy to Ammonium/Potassium/Sodium Persulfate.

Sorry to bump up such an old thread but just wondering if you have an allergy to persulfates can you use bleach off scalp - foils or cap safely?

I have platinum blonde hair. I have using bleach directly on my scalp for 15 years. For the last few years I have been getting terrible headaches when the bleach is applied. Over the years the process has gotten more and more painful, but I just delt with it because I love the blonde. The last two times I did my roots, my arms became extremely itchy, and I had hives all over my hands. The bleach was also so painful I could barely complete the lifting process. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there any way I can keep getting platinum blonde without hurting myself? I am dirty blonde/light brown naturally. Would an ammonia free bleach achieve a platinum color? My hairdresser said with her experience it won't work :( has anyone tried it and have it work? If so, what brand do you recommend using? And please don't ask me to change the color, I look awful with dark hair so it isn't an option for me.

Thanks for the help :)

I’ve been there, my entire scalp was bleeding and falling off in chunks. It was awful. Just stop. I only have foils or freehand balayage now, nothing is worth my scalp burning.

Sorry to bump up such an old thread but just wondering if you have an allergy to persulfates can you use bleach off scalp - foils or cap safely?

If a client has a known allergy to bleach, it’s classed as a contra-indication and your insurer might not approve you using foils, so best to check with them before offering this option to clients.

Hi,
I experienced the same thing. 15-20 years on scalp Platinum blonde. My hair is my identity as I am a Marilyn impersonator and pinup model. Having that glowing bombshell hair is my brand. I had a severe allergic reaction 1.5 years ago, needing an ambulance from my salon, and have had to have a full head of foils back to back since being careful not to touch the scalp which has worked fine. It still doesn't achieve the exact look I'm after. I've spent hours searching for an on scalp product and patch testing myself. As mentioned above it looks like I have an allergy to PPD/Ammonia/bleach. Whatever it is it happens during the oxidisation process as the products separately don't cause a reaction. Full head back to back is so costly-especially being a mature age student. It looks like where just going to have to cede to the fact that it's very dangerous for us to on scalp bleach and there's no products that don't effect us. I'm considering going darker instead and buying a high quality wig, so hopefully not PPD! Good luck and please don't kill yourself for beauty.

The OP who started this thread has not been back since 2013.

Latest posts

Back