Help-Shellac pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitz-n-Glam

Reaction score
I'm needing a bit of help. I opened my hair salon in December and its going AMAZING! I added in a nail desk and brow/lash bar and rent it on a % to a girl 2 days.
Everything's been ok so far but on Saturday she had a 'shellac pedicure which she charged £25 for. The client called after she left saying you can't call that a pedicure as she only had cuticles done nails filed and shellac rockstar (which she wasn't charged extra for) applied. Obviously I'm not a nail tech so I'm finding it hard to deal with the situation. I know the client and she is a bit of a pain but she claims she's a Neil tech although she works as a cook.
I feel sorry for my nail tech as earlier in the day she done a set or acrylic extensions client left happy and 3 hours later her daughter came in saying they were a mess etc. the mum didn't know we're to look and ended up having her nails soaked off and a refund. In my opinion (I've had 12 years of wearing acrylics) they were totally fine. Bright pink polish looked shiny and smooth on top. Anyway that situation was felt with but what do you class as a shellac pedicure. My nail tech days she's not trained any further in pedicures and doesn't offer soak/scub etc. in my old salon that was classed as a luxury pedicure???

Any help would be grately appreciated. Xx

I class a manicure or pedicure as cuticle work, filing and colour (polish, gel or shellac colour coat).

I class lux manicure or pedicure as the above including a scrub, soak, maybe heated mittens/wrap and massage. There are variations in between (different stages of luxury-ness, if you like).

A 'standard', 'regular', or 'basic' shellac pedicure to me is cuticle work, filing, cleanse the nail plate and apply shellac. I charged £28 when I worked mobile. Hope that helps xx

Having re read your post, it stands out that perhaps the problem is during client consultation (perhaps even at booking stage)? As both incidents were not down to poor work but disappointed clients versus their expectations.

Could that be the answer? Xx

I'm not sure what the official protocol is for a Shellac pedicure but that sounds like the norm to me (from my experiences at places I've worked)

Shellac takes longer to apply than standard polish so the more luxurious parts of a pedicure are cut out... Or so I thought.

I'm sure a CND geek will be able to enlighten us on the correct procedure :p

I class a manicure or pedicure as cuticle work, filing and colour (polish, gel or shellac colour coat).

I class lux manicure or pedicure as the above including a scrub, soak, maybe heated mittens/wrap and massage. There are variations in between (different stages of luxury-ness, if you like).

A 'standard', 'regular', or 'basic' shellac pedicure to me is cuticle work, filing, cleanse the nail plate and apply shellac. I charged £28 when I worked mobile. Hope that helps xx

Sorry I hadn't read this when I posted x

I class this as my mini pedi and I have a flawless pedi which includes soak, scrub etc

I would say the problem would be in the pedi description xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

Perhaps it's something your nail tech should have told the client prior to getting the pedicure done. I offer shellac as a service and you can soak and continue your normal pedicure after shellac application. Since your tech is not trained further she cannot offer anymore.

Is it stated to the client or on brochures etc that it is just file, cuticles and application? Calling it a pedicure is a bit misleading

This is why I stay away from the word PEDICURE or MANICURE when doing a shellac. I call it fingers or toes.
This is how I have it on my treatment menu:

Shellac fingers or toes £25
(File, cuticle work, shellac application)

Shellac mani or pedi £30
(File, cuticle work, scrub, massage, shellac application - also includes hard skin removal for pedi)

Luxury shellac mani or pedi £35
(File, cuticle work, scrub, massage, hand/foot mask in heated mitts or booties, shellac application)

Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is why I stay away from the word PEDICURE or MANICURE when doing a shellac. I call it fingers or toes.
This is how I have it on my treatment menu:

Shellac fingers or toes £25
(File, cuticle work, shellac application)

Shellac mani or pedi £30
(File, cuticle work, scrub, massage, shellac application - also includes hard skin removal for pedi)

Luxury shellac mani or pedi £35
(File, cuticle work, scrub, massage, hand/foot mask in heated mitts or booties, shellac application)

Hth x

Exactly how I do it too! Details all there so a client knows full well what she is getting or not getting with their Shellac service.

I have had this exact same problem.

After further investigation I feel clients when booking for a Shellac Pedicure expect soak, file, cuticle work, hard skin filling, application of shellac and a massage at the very least. Maybe exfoliation and a masque aswell.

Our shellac pedicure does not include any hard skin work at all.

We have therefore changed the wording if our shellac treatments from shellac manicure and pedicure to Shellac fingers and toes.

In our case there was a breakdown in communication from client to therapist and both parties having a different understanding of what the treatment involved.

Jemima :)

I have also found that not all clients have a price list r access to a website.

So it's best to assume all clients who ring the salon do not understand the way treatments are carried out. A few more seconds on the phone to make sure the client is being booked in for the treatment they require makes sure mistakes like these aren't made, and also the client feels like you care and you are taking your time to serve him or her.

I have also found that not all clients have a price list r access to a website.

So it's best to assume all clients who ring the salon do not understand the way treatments are carried out. A few more seconds on the phone to make sure the client is being booked in for the treatment they require makes sure mistakes like these aren't made, and also the client feels like you care and you are taking your time to serve him or her.

That's so true. I've had people calling me asking for 'gel nails' only to discover that what they actually want is shellac... most clients really do not understand the treatments but that's why we have to explain to them x

But as a client not a nail tech why didn't the client ask there and then, I don't understand people like this if she thought she was paying for a service and not receiving it why on earth wait til it's finished then complain.

I do think the description needs to be clearer and it was a misunderstanding

A pedi to me is nice achey free feet, soak, hard skin removal, massage, paraffin wax heated boots the whole shebang

It annoys me when clients wait til
After they've left to complain! It's like they have found something to moan about to get something for nothing.

But my professional side will apologise offer them either a free or discounted treatment and smile nicely. Then have a cuppa tea and moan to hubby at the end of the day.

I agree that perhaps there should be a description somewhere about what it entails and perhaps your tech should have told the client it would be a bit different from a nail polish pedi as such and such was cut out because ..... i always do this with my clients. I tell them why I am doing such and such or what I am doing. this way they know what is happening and usually ask questions. I offer the same as your tech for a OPI Gelcolor pedi but it is all stated on my price list what the treatment entails, and then if someone wants a soak and scrub and more i can offer it as an add on for a small fee. but my gel fingers and toes cost the same amount because I do exactly the same process on both. but I certainly dont think your tech is in the wrong, just a misunderstanding.

I'm glad I posted this. I think it's just been a misunderstanding completely. I've just found out the girl had 25% off so she only paid 18.75 for it. Ill redesign the price lists so it says shellac fingers and toes. Much better description. Thankyoo all for your replies xx

I'm going to take this on board thank you

But as a client not a nail tech why didn't the client ask there and then, I don't understand people like this if she thought she was paying for a service and not receiving it why on earth wait til it's finished then complain.

I agree. ..a client should let you know their concerns during the treatment and this is something that i always make clear at the start of a treatment.

I think that to complain after a treatment is sometimes a persons passive aggressive way of wanting a refund and to be heard. ...not always but often.

I list the steps before a treatment if it's quite an involved one or if I sense the client is anxious that they won't get what they want. The treatment menu does this too but yeah

I'm glad I posted this. I think it's just been a misunderstanding completely. I've just found out the girl had 25% off so she only paid 18.75 for it. Ill redesign the price lists so it says shellac fingers and toes. Much better description. Thankyoo all for your replies xx

Client got nowt to complaint about there. ...that's a total bargain!

Latest posts

Back