Help! Shellac removal - what have I done wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

No surprises but I've already come across due to lack of inexperience a huge disheartening issue on my very first set of Shellac.

You may have remembered I posted, very happy & excited to have finally 'gone for it' & had my training.
I've just tried to remove mum's Shellac and it's been a total nightmare. I know it's me but I could do with some pointers as to where I'm going wrong.

I used nourishing remover, saturated the removal wraps well (I know because I ruined one of my own nails due to leakage - yes I know to much exposure for both mum and I :()

Anyway 8 mins later hardly anything budged, soaked again for the same time and this was the result. I used the old uv top coat so I know it's not as quick for removal. I also tried to apply base coat thinly but maybe not enough? But in my mind at least the colour would have been removed.

I also used the new CND LED lamp but accidentally used the 2S instead of the 3 for the top coat.

What have I done wrong? Have I applied colour coat too thick? But even so after so long it was not coming off. I literally had to scrub and scrub with nourishing remover to get it off and it took ages.

Feel such an idiot because I don't know what I've done wrong or how to correct it. I don't want to start fretting again that I'm not going to be able to do this so please can someone give some advice and reassurance?

Thank you :oops:

Mum First Shellac Removal 1.jpg

I have no experience yet of the LED lamp so cant advise you on that. Can the old top coat be used in the LED lamp? As I say I have no clue about it so I don't know. Did you lightly scrape off the colour with an orange wood stick?

I would guess your base coat is too thick, this can happen then. You really need very very little base coat , make sure you drain the brush off completely and scrub the nail with brush to get a very very thin coat on.

Plus shellac hardly ever removes completely from the nail with just the wrap, you do need to give it a bit of a scrub to get the last remaining bits off, i'd recommend the plastic backed pads (think their call hands down) from sweet squared. They have a bit of texture to them which makes them great the scrubbing the last remaining bits off them, plus you won't ruin your own nails because their plastic lined :)

Also if your client (or mum) isn't using solar oil twice a day this will also affect how long it takes to come off, as will cold weather. If the room was cold the acetone won't work as quickly and the shellac will be more stubborn to remove.

I have no experience yet of the LED lamp so cant advise you on that. Can the old top coat be used in the LED lamp? As I say I have no clue about it so I don't know. Did you lightly scrape off the colour with an orange wood stick?

The old top coat was part of my kit with the LED lamp. I tried to lightly scrape the colour but it wouldn't budge. [emoji53]

I would guess your base coat is too thick, this can happen then. You really need very very little base coat , make sure you drain the brush off completely and scrub the nail with brush to get a very very thin coat on.

Plus shellac hardly ever removes completely from the nail with just the wrap, you do need to give it a bit of a scrub to get the last remaining bits off, i'd recommend the plastic backed pads (think their call hands down) from sweet squared. They have a bit of texture to them which makes them great the scrubbing the last remaining bits off them, plus you won't ruin your own nails because their plastic lined :)

Also if your client (or mum) isn't using solar oil twice a day this will also affect how long it takes to come off, as will cold weather. If the room was cold the acetone won't work as quickly and the shellac will be more stubborn to remove.

Yes I agree I may need to reassess my base coat but I thought I had improved as the first hand I did in class. This hand I did after being aware of ensuring a thin base but maybe I'm still not being thin enough. [emoji53]

Mum hasn't quite been using her solar oil twice a day but she has tried. She has quite unconditioned nails & health issues. However we worked in a comfortable warm environment. It still doesn't explain 16 minutes of removal & still most left on the nail [emoji30]

It's just unnerved me, I'm religious in applying solar oil on my own nails so maybe I should practice on myself but they're a tad short & still trying to grow out a pinkie that someone caused serious lifting

How can I work round all this? [emoji26] I don't have many to practice on. I suppose practicing on nail art pips wouldn't work as removal would melt the plastic?

Don't get disheartened! It's all a learning curve and we've all been there! It's great you've done the training so now it's just experience.
Some nails need a little longer under wraps.
Make sure the wraps are tight enough.
After 5 mins I just go back to my client and press/squeeze on each nail just to ensure good contact.
I set my timer for 10 mins after last wrap is applied and find this works much better for me and hardly need to wipe after. In the winter I leave my wraps for a couple of minutes longer too.
If you take off the first wrap and the nail is still tricky to remove, just re-wrap and leave for 2 mins. Remember only uncover one nail at a time, remove, then unwrap the next one.
Have faith in Shellac. You won't regret it! Hope that helps x

Probably a stupid question but did you remove all the foils at once or remove one, scrape with pusher/orange wood stick and then move into the next? I know some people remove all at once and by the time they get to the 3rd/4th finger the acetone has evaporated and the Polish rehardens. I'm only asking because it sounds like you're doing everything else right.

Don't fret. My first Shellac removal was a total disaster. As you know, one of CND Shellac's best quality is its easy removal, so it's likely you just need to tweak your technique a bit. Although the issue is removal, the first issue is the application. Make sure your application, especially of base coat, is super thin. As for removal, in addition to saturating the pads, you must wrap them so that they are firmly in contact with all of the nail during the entire soak off. You may even have to add remover halfway through the timing. Then remove the wrap, push off the Shellac, and wipe firmly with a remover soaked pad, then move on to the next nail.

It still doesn't explain 16 minutes of removal & still most left on the nail [emoji30]

This is your problem lovely, too long, way way too long. I soak for 6 minutes, then start removing one at a time. If one is particularly stubborn I re wrap and cone back to it.

After 8 minutes the Shellac starts to re - harden so try less time rather than more.

also how are you wrapping? Make sure it's super tight, the remover will evaporate if the wraps are too loose.

don't loose heart, don't over think it lovely

Thanks guys, I think it's a combo of all your comments. Probably applying too thick to start with, & yes I realised I was removing all then trying to use orange wood stick. I try to wrap super hard but end up with leaking remover on me.

The idea of adding extra remover halfway isn't what I've been taught but I get that if the first one isn't budging the rest won't either.

Agh [emoji30] so frustrating & I'm not very patient with myself - it's my first set for goodness sake. I need to breathe!!

This is your problem lovely, too long, way way too long. I soak for 6 minutes, then start removing one at a time. If one is particularly stubborn I re wrap and cone back to it.

After 8 minutes the Shellac starts to re - harden so try less time rather than more.

also how are you wrapping? Make sure it's super tight, the remover will evaporate if the wraps are too loose.

don't loose heart, don't over think it lovely
Oooh could you explain this in more detail - what do you mean after 8 mins the Shellac starts to re-harden? Is that despite the removal on it?

I wrap, tuck & wrap them squeeze the end & tuck under. But I do find I'm getting leakage do not sure if I'm soaking too much or not being efficient with wrapping the foils.

Like someone has already says. I need to go back to my initial application so feel I've gone backwards at the mo. [emoji53] Rome wasn't built in a day. I know this is a fab product as I've worn it myself for months applied by my local salon & she's been great.

Oooh could you explain this in more detail - what do you mean after 8 mins the Shellac starts to re-harden? Is that despite the removal on it?

I wrap, tuck & wrap them squeeze the end & tuck under. But I do find I'm getting leakage do not sure if I'm soaking too much or not being efficient with wrapping the foils.

Like someone has already says. I need to go back to my initial application so feel I've gone backwards at the mo. [emoji53] Rome wasn't built in a day. I know this is a fab product as I've worn it myself for months applied by my local salon & she's been great.

I made the fatal mistake of wrapping a client then explaining a few bits on her new mobile, next thing I knew 15 minutes had gone by and the Shellac had reset solid. I had to re wrap and start again. I also found in the summer when it was hot they only needed 5/6 minutes as the remover seems to work quicker in the warmth.

Do you wrap in CND wraps or foil? I quit using the wraps fairly early on and use the Magis Foils, much cheaper and a better wrap in my experience

You will master it

If the nails have surface damage, then this is the cause of your shellac not removing as well :) if the nails are damaged the shellac grips onto the surface of the nail more and is much more difficult to remove :)

I made the fatal mistake of wrapping a client then explaining a few bits on her new mobile, next thing I knew 15 minutes had gone by and the Shellac had reset solid. I had to re wrap and start again. I also found in the summer when it was hot they only needed 5/6 minutes as the remover seems to work quicker in the warmth.

Do you wrap in CND wraps or foil? I quit using the wraps fairly early on and use the Magis Foils, much cheaper and a better wrap in my experience

You will master it

Ah I A see what you mean [emoji53] that may have had some influence. Is it because the acetone is evaporating the longer it's wrapped up on the Shellac? I do use the CND ones trying to be as brand related as possible. [emoji57] Not heard of Majis Foils it kinda feels disloyal but if you think they're worth trying it's very difficult not to be tempted [emoji15]

If the nails have surface damage, then this is the cause of your shellac not removing as well :) if the nails are damaged the shellac grips onto the surface of the nail more and is much more difficult to remove :)

There is no surface damage per se just the usual age related groves. Plus mum insists her nails are very porous. I've sent her away with cuticle eraser, solar oil & ResuxeRXx as she has similar nails to me - prone to extension edge delamination/peeling to see if getting her nails more 'healthy' may result in a better Shellac experience [emoji6]

If what you say is the reason - surface damage - how do I handle it?

even nails as you've described will be harder to remove because the shellac will be thicker in the groves than normal. The way you've handled it sound fine, i wouldn't stress too much about it to be honest. What you did was perfect. Also another thing to consider, you may have done an extra coat of shellac to smooth the nails out which is totally fine but will make your removal a little slower then too :)

Just to let you know RescueRXX will have no real benefits when used over shellac , it must be used on bare nails.

even nails as you've described will be harder to remove because the shellac will be thicker in the groves than normal. The way you've handled it sound fine, i wouldn't stress too much about it to be honest. What you did was perfect. Also another thing to consider, you may have done an extra coat of shellac to smooth the nails out which is totally fine but will make your removal a little slower then too :)

Just to let you know RescueRXX will have no real benefits when used over shellac , it must be used on bare nails.

Thank you, all I know is that I tried to apply as thin possible- but maybe not quite enough - the base coat. Applied the colour too thickly & then messed up the removal.

Don't worry she had naked nails so lots of TLC for them. I figured if she can get her nails a tad more healthy looking then the process might not be so problematic

Mum is in her early 60's so the grooving thing I do get.

I just feel confused right now but I know with you guys I will figure it out. [emoji179]

Thank you, all I know is that I tried to apply as thin possible- but maybe not quite enough - the base coat. Applied the colour too thickly & then messed up the removal.

Don't worry she had naked nails so lots of TLC for them. I figured if she can get her nails a tad more healthy looking then the process might not be so problematic

Mum is in her early 60's so the grooving thing I do get.

I just feel confused right now but I know with you guys I will figure it out. [emoji179]

I think your over thinking things and you did just fine, these nails are going to be tricker to remove the shellac from, I wouldn't be able to remove them quicker than you did I'd say, you will get the odd client like this that just has problematic nails, stop stressing , you know everything you should and are doing just fine :)

I'll be totally honest. I find nail wrap things a nightmare. I use strips of highlighting foil. I tear 10 off, use a couple of pumps of remover, place on the nail and wrap super tight. We're not a cheap salon and I also like keeping the same brands but I find the wraps really hard to work with.

Good luck

Vic x

I think your over thinking things and you did just fine, these nails are going to be tricker to remove the shellac from, I wouldn't be able to remove them quicker than you did I'd say, you will get the odd client like this that just has problematic nails, stop stressing , you know everything you should and are doing just fine :)

Ah, [emoji57]you could be right - I do tend to over think things, it's just that sometimes it makes me a good problem solver. [emoji16] However, you could be right, practicing o mm 'problem' nails isn't a great confidence booster so I should turn that into a positive & think 'If I can make these work the rest is easy!' [emoji16] - so I say to myself but hesitantly believing it [emoji23]

Thank you for your encouragement [emoji179]

Latest posts

Back