Help! Skin test reaction, what options for colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those stylists suggesting it's ok to use tint in foils on clients who have tested positive to a reaction to hair tint, you are either incredibly stupid or incredibly naive.

Do you have any concept of serious allergic reaction? If someone is highly allergic, just the tiniest droplet of the irritant can cause a life threatening reaction.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to suggest that if you go ahead knowing full well the client is highly allergic (following a skin test) and the client suffers a serious reaction, you could face criminal charges, with negligence being the least of your worries.

Is it really worth the risk for a few quid???

As iv already explained, I have explained it wrong on here, my fault, but no, I would not colour a client who had reactions, if they reacted but were ok to other skin tests I would still only do it in foil, taking care not to touch the skin, iv read back my first post and it doesn't say what I wanted it to, basically, even after other skin tests if they don't react I would still only foil the hair with the darker colour to break up the blonde... This is what I was getting at,sorry for causing the confusion!!

To those stylists suggesting it's ok to use tint in foils on clients who have tested positive to a reaction to hair tint, you are either incredibly stupid or incredibly naive.

Do you have any concept of serious allergic reaction? If someone is highly allergic, just the tiniest droplet of the irritant can cause a life threatening reaction.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to suggest that if you go ahead knowing full well the client is highly allergic (following a skin test) and the client suffers a serious reaction, you could face criminal charges, with negligence being the least of your worries.

Is it really worth the risk for a few quid???

If a client has a minor reaction then with talking to the client etc foiling is an option if they have more of a severe reaction then of course you wouldn't colour at all

If a client has a minor reaction then with talking to the client etc foiling is an option if they have more of a severe reaction then of course you wouldn't colour at all

Reactions may well be minor this time, some reactions are just written off as feeling unwell and nothing to do with hair, but next time it could kill them. Fact.
I had a slight reaction to a bee sting when I was 12, wrote it off as being "minor". Got stung again at 26 and had a severe reaction and I now carry an EPI pen. Reactions generally get worse with each exposure.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Does it say in your manufacturers instructions 'if client only mildly reacts then have a chat with her and procede with foils' ??

I'm sure it doesn't!

Again this is your opinion on what YOU would do, not fact on following MI.

We use goldwell elumen as it isn't necessary to skin test, if a client has reacted we still skin test tho.

We've been told it's very small risk of reacted that nobody has ever reacted to the product ever.

Anyone know where to get wella inosense? I've tried salon services and Chris and sons...I'm assuming I'm still ok to do her highlights/bleach and tone? Thanks xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

You could always skin test with a semi permanent (to be honest I've always found they cover bleach better anyway) they are not as harsh so she may not react x

Anyone know where to get wella inosense? I've tried salon services and Chris and sons...I'm assuming I'm still ok to do her highlights/bleach and tone? Thanks xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

No foils if not skin tested or has had reaction!

Toning is applying colour to scalp!

Bleach is no need for skin test and a true semi permanent like a mousse or a foam colour where you don't mix a developer.

Does it say in your manufacturers instructions 'if client only mildly reacts then have a chat with her and procede with foils' ??

I'm sure it doesn't!

Again this is your opinion on what YOU would do, not fact on following MI.

I'm not here to argue I'm am going from experience!

Reactions may well be minor this time, some reactions are just written off as feeling unwell and nothing to do with hair, but next time it could kill them. Fact.
I had a slight reaction to a bee sting when I was 12, wrote it off as being "minor". Got stung again at 26 and had a severe reaction and I now carry an EPI pen. Reactions generally get worse with each exposure.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

So you skin test each time or every 6 weeks as I agree people's skin etc changes over time and someone that doesn't react may react at a later date

I'm not trying to argue but what your opinion is or experience is in this case will never over ride the fact that you follow MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS-

Encourage others to discuss with clients or a 'play it by ear' attitude is wrong and irresponsible

I'm not trying to argue but what your opinion is or experience is in this case will never over ride the fact that you follow MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS-

Encourage others to discuss with clients or a 'play it by ear' attitude is wrong and irresponsible

I wasn't trying to encourage other at all I was clearly stating my opinion

I've always been told off scalp routine is ok for people who react as the colour is diluted when rinsing. Ingredients In colour can be found in all sorts of things, different shampoos etc. Manufactures instructions will always state that a skin test has to be carried out at least 48hours before each and every colour application. People can react due to medication stress etc. maybe off scalp and a disclaimer could be a possibility for you?

I've always been told off scalp routine is ok for people who react as the colour is diluted when rinsing. Ingredients In colour can be found in all sorts of things, different shampoos etc. Manufactures instructions will always state that a skin test has to be carried out at least 48hours before each and every colour application. People can react due to medication stress etc. maybe off scalp and a disclaimer could be a possibility for you?

Unless you use a brand that states this then no it's really not ok.

Disclaimers basically are you admitting in writing that you have perform a chemical service without doing a skin test - or continuing to colour on a clients who's had a reaction.

You invalidate your insurance and get a reputation for colouring in this way.

As I've said before it's MI not you own judgement

I would talk to your insurance and manufacture they maybe able to give you a disclaimer you can use. Disclaimers are used in all sorts of things. I wouldn't say that's it's admitting your doing a service you shouldn't be it should actually be saying that you are aware there is a reaction and so is your client but they give You their permission to carry out the service and accept full responsibility. I personally wouldn't do a colour on someone that's reacted but if you look into the disclaimer side properly it may work for you.

Most insurance companies state follow MI. Manufacturers wouldn't use disclaimers.

There's is no point to this, most people have said never work on someone with a reaction so why force the issue with disclaimers and foil application etc

A client who is allergic is never worth that money, as hairdressers we have a duty of care to our clients,to properly test and educate them on chemical services.

I can't believe any professional would try to find a way round this golden rule.

I would talk to your insurance and manufacture they maybe able to give you a disclaimer you can use. Disclaimers are used in all sorts of things. I wouldn't say that's it's admitting your doing a service you shouldn't be it should actually be saying that you are aware there is a reaction and so is your client but they give You their permission to carry out the service and accept full responsibility. I personally wouldn't do a colour on someone that's reacted but if you look into the disclaimer side properly it may work for you.

Disclaimers are worthless as a defence in claims of negligence in English (UK) law.

This is a well established principle and I'm appalled that there are hairdressers still working under this misapprehension.

Also, whoever suggested that off scalp tinting on someone who has had a positive skin test is fine, 'because the water when rinsing dilutes the product'...words fail me!

Does anyone bother to keep up to date with their training these days?

Latest posts

Back