Help - soak off time!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue

Reaction score
HI all - can anybody advise on soaking off nails. I should point out that I didn't apply the nails that need soaking off.

This will be my first client for soak off - cant even use my self as a marker as I commit the worst sin ever ... I nibble mine off! I know, I shouldn't do it - but once a nail biter always a nail biter! Sorry and all that!!! :oops:

I dont have the fancy expensive soak off paraphenalia - merely two glass bowls! They came with my home learn maintenance kit. Do you all add a small qty of oil to the acetone to keep the fingers from drying out? :?

How long on average would you say it takes?

Step by step - Trim back nails as much as possible, remove nail polish, lightly buff the remaining nail - soak in acetone for however long. Use orange stick to try to manouvre nail off, lightly file - continue soaking if neccessary? Once all acrylic is off would the client then wash her hands?

Would I then do cuticle work and buff nails before re-applying a full new set of nails?

Have I missed anything? I would appreciate your step by steps - sure I'll have missed something! :oops: :oops: :?

Love
Sue
xxx

Hi Sue,

It is well known that if you warm the solvent, the nails will come off quicker. I use and also sell the Quicksoak Bowls. Check out my website under Removal and it gives step by step on removal.

If you are putting on a new set then I would not add oil to the solvent.

Depending on the thickness of the nails and the product used it can take anything from 20 mins to an hour to remove or even longer for some products (MMA for example).

Hi Sue,
Well this is what I do... :idea: ....................
Step 1. I dont remove polish unless it is a dark colour. I trim the extension back to the free edge. I place a bowl into a slighlty larger bowl of warm water or get Fionas Quick soak off bowl,(I got one and couldn't live without it) then add the acetone. If I am doing a new set straight afterwards I don't add any oil. Leave the fingers in there to soak for about 10 minutes, then check on the product softening, once the product has softened I take out one finger at the time(keep the others in the acetone)and scrape off as much as possible.If you take out all fingers at the same time you will find that by the time you get to finger no3, the product has hardend again.
Once all the fingers are free from product I get the client to wash her hands. On a good acrylic product this will take about 35-40 min.

Step2. Shape the nails so there are no jaggered edges and the nail looks nice around the free egde. The better the free edge the better the new extension will fit in the well area. :idea:

Step3. Apply cuticle remover and make sure all cuticle is off the nail, pay special attention to the lateral nail fold. Then wash off the cuticle remover, I use a spray mister with Citrus nailsoak in the water.Dry the hands.
Then Scrubfresh and then apply the extension and follow with the rest of the service in the usual way.

Step4. After the extensions are applied and finished, just before you are ready to paint. Handcream and little massage. Then squeek the nails, and ready to paint.... :D ......

You can also do this.... :idea: ........
Step1 Remove polish, trim nails back to free edge, then soak cotton ball in acetone, place on the extension and then wrap foil around that. It keeps in the heat and softens the product. You can work on one finger at a time, without watching which fingers are still in the acteone. Keep checking and scraping of old product. Might be easier...Then Steps 2-4 as usual..................
Removal time 30 min.
Sorry for the long winded answer, hope I havn't forgotten anything important :rolleyes:
Love Ruth

Thanks girls for the replys.

Is it acceptable to use nippers if there is a lot of lifting? Or are they strictly taboo. As I didn't apply these nails - I've no idea what to expect.

If someone came to you with extentions already on - done elsewhere - and wanted an infill, would you be prepared to do them? Could you be certain of your product matching up with whatever was used previously?

Always something to learn in this proffession, eh!?

Love
Sue
xxx

Nippers on soak off.............
No you wont need them, as anything loose will just soak away. You are removing the whole product, so I wouldn't.

Nippers on an infill.............
No I wouldn't. Start filing below the severe lifting and the old loose stuff will just come away.

Nippers can prise away more then just the loose stuff and then cause nail damage. So to me they are a no no.

I would do infills on anything, as long as it isn't over a L&P MMA product.
All systems are from the Acrylic family, so you can infill virtually anything.
MMA is pretty easy to recognize, when you file a bit of the old arcylic (the free edge the best place to start), it will smell awfull, like old cats pee :oops: , will be harder to file, like filing plexiglass. :twisted:

I always ask where they had the previous service done, if they say oh little chinese shop. very cheap, didn't speak english used a drill, you can be 99% sure it's MMA :x
Hope this helps
Love Ruth xx

Cat Pee - oh pooh ... not thanks, got two cats of my own and I know how THAT smells!!!

Decided to go for the Quick Soak Bath - from Fiona. Hope it'll be a valuable part of my job from now on.

Love
Sue
xxx

P.S. ALL THE ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED AND ACCEPTED - & ACTED ON. TERRIFIC GIRLS & BOYS IN HERE - HUGS TO YOU ALL.

http://uk.msnusers.com/NailMates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back