HELP!! Soft nails and peeling product

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Fern

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a client who has has really soft nails, very weak. She had had gel nails on before she came to me and wans't impressed with the state of her nails.
I have used shellac, thorough prep, she assures me she has used solar oil twice daily but a couple of nails just peeled off within a week.
I removed the lot at her request and applied calgel (again, at her request) one peeled off after a week which I repaired but she has just texted me to say that the repair has peeled off, and she can't afford to keep paying out for her nails.
I'm at my wits end - she wants gorgeous looking nails but doesn't seem to be prepared to wait for them..
... any suggestions welcome - please!!!!

She knows I am asking for suggestions. Her health is fine, no medication but... I have noticed she has a nervous tic - holding her hands steady whilst applying product is a challenge in itself! :confused:

In my experience a hybrid polish offers no strength so if the nails are weak to start with then its a waste of time applying product cause it will just peel, could try acrylic overlay. Won't help the weak nail situation one bit but will offer gorgeous looking nails that don't split or peel, use the colour she wants over a thin overlay?

In my experience a hybrid polish offers no strength so if the nails are weak to start with then its a waste of time applying product cause it will just peel, could try acrylic overlay. Won't help the weak nail situation one bit but will offer gorgeous looking nails that don't split or peel, use the colour she wants over a thin overlay?

My experience is different to yours. After 25years of wearing L&P nails I used the only hybrid polish on my nails and they grew out perfectly with Shellac. A year and a half on, and they are still all my own. So Shellac does have a certain amount of strength and it is enough for many to do the same.

However, CND do warn against using Shellac on very weak or bendy nails as of course they will flex and the colour coat will not stand up to that sort of abuse. I would never use Shellac on a client like that.

I agree that an L&P overlay is the answer and it certainly will help the damaged nails grow out nice and healthy like mine were, if the client doesn't pick and if the technician doesn't damage. If her natural nails are in good shape after 2-3 months she should be good to go with Shellac.

My nails have strengthened massively since I've been wearing shellac, it may just be coincidence! I can't wear gel as I'm on medication and it changes my nails and hair a lot) gel (bio) peeled of totally (every finger) by 4 days! The first one came of the second day! Maybe she just needs to have nothing on her nails for a while and then try shellac again!

My nails have strengthened massively since I've been wearing shellac, it may just be coincidence! I can't wear gel as I'm on medication and it changes my nails and hair a lot) gel (bio) peeled of totally (every finger) by 4 days! The first one came of the second day! Maybe she just needs to have nothing on her nails for a while and then try shellac again!

Not a coincidence at all. Thousands are finding that after enhancements, Shellac is suiting their nails perfectly and they are growing like wildfire and that the strength of them is enough for their nails!

My own nails have never been stronger since using shellac. However, I am thinking that in my client's best interests she should try L&P.
I don't do it - I never trained in it, only gel and as I have not been in the area long I do not know who to recommend.
From questions I've asked previously there don't seem to be a lot of geeks in rugby but there are plenty of techs and therapists!:)

Are you sure you are using the correct lamp and the bulbs are still ok for use? Are you using the same lamp for Calgel and Shellac?

Hi, I have two lamps - the CND Shellac lamp which is not very old and the bulbs don't need replacing and the Calgel lamp - which might need the bulbs replacing.

I think though that it is her nails which are the problem here - they are so soft and bendy!!

Latest posts

Back