Help, spray tan nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 51741

Reaction score
Ok so earlier today I had a moan about a client and her tan lines....anyway, she had just washed off her tan and now complaining saying that in the areas where she put weight on and lost it again that the tan has not adhered to it. Says hse has a marbling effect on her back, boobs and sides. I literally have never had a complaint in the 3 years of doing spray tans.
The problem is that she is doing a boudoir shoot on Sunday, near on naked. I am having kittens worrying about it now! Help can anyone give any advise? I have said that we will just have to respray the areas .....:irked:

I've never had this but if she's put weight on and lost it from these areas, could it be stretch marks? Can she send you any pictures so you can see exactly what she means? Sounds like you'll have to respray but it'll be a while before the tan has fully developed even though she's washed the guide colour off already

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for replying. She has sent a picture but I cant put it on here as she is practically naked. It literally looks like I havent sprayed her back and just splashed it up the top of her legs!
I have told her to just shower with water tomorrow morning and text me first thing as she was asking if there is anyway it can all be removed??!!! AAAAHhhhhh these are the times I absolutly hate the beauty industry! I will be worrying all night and all tomorrow now
:sad:

Has she been applying a special cellulite / stretch mark cream? Perhaps it's created a barrier for the tan.

she aparently hasnt used anything.....:sad:

All I can say is, you haven't done anything wrong and I doubt that respraying will have any effect. As you know wherever you spray the tan it takes, so if it hasn't taken on these areas once it won't take a second time. My thoughts are that they are stretch mark lines, but it is also possible that pre tanning advice has not been followed. If she didn't have a clue that keeping bikini pants on would cause a tan line then its possible your advice has not been followed. Do not refund either is my advice xx

Thank you so much for the support. My absolute gut feeling is that she has used something on her skin and maybe not washed it off properly. But she is a regular customer with other treatments and usually does the things i ask of her. so this is mega awkward!
I suppose I will see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks again for the advise and support xx

Hmmm I wondering if she hasn't fully washed the guide colour off if it looks like you haven't sprayed her back but her legs look like you described. Sounds like the water had dripped down her legs creating the marble effect.

I know it's easy for me to say but try not to worry. There's nothing you can do right now. Tomorrow is another day and you have time to respray her before Sunday. I'm sure you're more than capable of spraying correctly so don't spend any more time doubting yourself x

I had a similar thing before where the girl hadn't showered properly, just let the water run over her so her legs and arms were all stripy where the water had just run over the guide colour. Another shower and it was fine. Hope yours is. X

ahhh Thank you !! I am hoping that is the case. She has never had a tan done before and I did suggest a practice run.

Luckily I always make people book a tan two days before their event, just incase of problems....funnily enough I have never had any...until now! My problem is I am a major perfectionist when it comes to my work, so having this happen is a real knock to the confidence!

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

I agree and was going to say that she may not have washed the guide colour off properly x

not having washed off correctly is also another option, but i never tell clients to wash off...always rinse until water is clear..wash suggest using shower gel etc to wash tan off, always rinse until clear which is understood more. let us know how you get on x

Yep I tell clients rinse until water runs clear, then wash as normal ;)

It will be 1 of 3 things probably, 2 have been mentioned

1) she hasn't rinsed it off properly
2) she had moisturiser or something on the skin before still
3) maybe she had washed and conditioned her hair before her tan and the conditioner has created a barrier on the skin? I.e. down back and legs?

Nothing you've done by the sound of it xxxd

See how it turns out overnight but if she is a regular with other treatments its best to show you've been there in her for of need even if you can't do anything... Hope it all works out well in the morning x

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mm I'm in agreement to the others / let's face it most problems with tans are clients not following Pre tan / after tan advice ...
Is it the first tan she's had?
What products did she use prior to tan ie what body wash / shower gel ... Does it have any oils in / did she wash her hair at same time prior to tan / as some shampoos can cause problems ..
Hope you get it sorted esp if she's a good regular client ... Xxx

How did you get on Josie?

After reading your other post I think she may have tried to wash off the darker looking parts of the tan early by backing into the shower and that has resulted in splashing the water all over causing the light patches and dark drips. Also as others have said some stretch marks don't tan. She doesn't need to worry about the shoot as they will photoshop it anyway!

Hi all
Thank you soooo much for the support. I really appreciate it.
So ..... I went back to her yesterday morning, spent an hour with her. What I believe to be the problem was her exfoliator. She had used a St Ives body scrub, which was mega thick. She had used it the night before the spray tan and I honestly think it had left a layer on her skin, which then obviously made a barrier.
I gave her options, respray or scrub tan. So decided to scrub the tan off. She text me this morning and said she had removed nearly all of it and went off to her photo shoot as planned.
I was very straight with her and said that this was not my fault, which she was completely fine about, but she also did not take any responsibility.
I said to her that she would be able to see clearly if it was my fault, as the tan would have been streaky, which it was not.
Anyway, hopefully that is the end of this nightmare. I have honestly not had this problem before and it has not come a t a worse time. I have been thinking about giving up my business for a few months now, so this has really made me think even more. I take my business so personally and am a real perfectionist, so this has been a hard knock :sad:
But thank you again for all your replies...nice to know that I have support! xx

For your own peace of mind remember you are only human. People understand when things go 'wrong'. In this case it wasn't directly your fault BUT you can only learn from it and make it clearer to clients what not to do before a tan as well as what to do. No one is going to die from beauty treatment - the worst case scenario is you loose a client, next worse you have to refund them! Neither of those things are that bad! I've lived through a terrible spray tan :)

I am a perfectionist too so understand where you are coming from but you will find you have loyal clients who trust you as they will be able to sense your dedication. Hopefully this client will not leave you. If she is a good client you may consider offering her a gesture of good will to the value of her tan with her next treatment in order to insure she does return. Try to let it go x

Maybe spray a friend to get your confidence back that you are good!

Latest posts

Back