Help - starting mobile hair extensions service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azraaljic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just completed my training with Belle for three different extension methods and I am intending on starting my own mobile hair extension business whilst at uni for extra cash. Hair extensions were definitely the thing to go for as I absolutely love them! I also have basic knowledge of cutting/blending so that's not an issue. I am also going to go and a course for brazilian blowdry. My only issue is reputable suppliers - I always seem to find contradictory reviews on particular suppliers and this makes it increasingly harder for me to decide on a supplier and ordering a sample isn't representative of what will happen a few weeks down the line after a few washes, so any suggestions from own personal experience will be much appreciated! I have heard of tasha jacks however they seem quite expensive and not sure whether any clients would be willing to pay that much :s

Also, pricing - as I am offering a mobile service and I'm only just qualified what is an appropriate price for tape ins and micro rings (keeping in mind varied lengths, colour options such as added highlights ect) and also ensuring a viable profit margin? Would it be a good idea to offer hair from different origins such as Russian, Indian, Arabian or should I wait until I've established a decent clientele?

Can anybody think of any extra options that I could offer?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured this would be the best place to go to for advice. Thanks?

I think, when you're starting out, your just need to do as much research as possible. Have a look around at your competition and what they offer.

You're going to need to build a portfolio of your work, I would be asking people to model for you so you can practice until you're up to a good standard. It took me 1 year to be up at a high standard, becoming a good extensionist doesn't happen over night, or after a training course.

With regards to suppliers, you really need to do your own work here. Have a look at what others are using and choose a few to trial. Get a few model clients to pay for the hair only, do the fitting for free, its the only way to find out what suppliers are going to work for you.

Good luck

Are you a qualified hairdresser? It's not clear from your profile.

If not, you won't be insured to offer cutting of natural hair or Brazilian blow drys. You will only be insured to blend the extensions.

Unfortunately you won't get answers to the majority of questions you asked as people have worked long and hard to build up suppliers and know what they know.

You have to try for yourself really and keep people informed that your new....ins is a must just I case :)

Creation hair & lash extensions

In**

Creation hair & lash extensions

Hey,
Like previous posters said you will need to get a portfolio of your work together. Do some fittings and just charge for hair, you can use different hair companies at this stage and ask clients for feedback. I use my own brand of extensions so can't help you more than that.

As for pricing look at what your competitors are charging and price yourself accordingly once you feel you are competent.

I would wait until you have a good client base before doing things like Brazilian blow dry as extensions are so competitive so best to invest in your business a little at a time.

Uni will be a great place to get clients providing there aren't loads of people doing them. All you need is to do a few heads really well then everyone will want them!

Good luck! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi i'm trying to find out some information that may be you may not know in regards of brazilian blow dry eyes are they compatible with hair extensions? Thanks any information regarding this would be very grateful . It would be applying micro ring hair extensions to hair that has the brazilian blow dry :confused:
Thanks Claire
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back