help starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Mansfield

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could you offer this budding tech some advice?

Thanks for all your help!
Kelly

My name is Nina Cobbett and I'm looking to become a full-time nail technician. I recently bought the January issue of Nails which really inspired me into doing something about it. About two years ago I was working in a salon in Yateley where I trained as a nail technician. I worked with OPi mostly and really loved the products. I have many local salons around and have phoned several of them, but as yet they have no vacancies available. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on getting started.
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.
Yours faitfully,
Nina Cobbett

Hi Nina,

welcome to the fab world of nails. My advice would be to get the best training you can and never stop learning. Start small and build up. Don't try to do everything at once. Liquid and powder (aka acrylic) is probably the most popular as that is what people seem to know of. This is what I would advise you master first then follow on eventually with fibreglass/silk and gel.

If space will allow then start off working from home. Make sure you have relevant insurance and work safely.

"failing to learn, is learning to fail"

Good luck.

Hi Nina,
Firstly I would take a refresher course to bring you up to date with the fast moving world of nails. Depending on your area you may even need to get yourself an NVQ.
There are loads of 'schools' out there eager to relieve you of your cash so make sure you do research and choose wisely.
Join the 'Geek' website ... the best help and information is always on hand there!
Next I would get practising on friends and family and get them to help you 'get your name out there'. Working from home or mobile is as good a place to start as any.

Hi Nina,
I would look at doing some up to date training to bring you in line with the new products out there. Also i would maybe start mobile say if your working in the day, just do a couple of evening. Once you have got your skills back up to scratch, I would then advertise yourself as available for salon work, and see what that brings. Good luck
Lesley

lesley1965 said:
Hi Nina,
I would look at doing some up to date training to bring you in line with the new products out there. Also i would maybe start mobile say if your working in the day, just do a couple of evening. Once you have got your skills back up to scratch, I would then advertise yourself as available for salon work, and see what that brings. Good luck
Lesley
Yep Hun training to update your skills is important...........
2 years can make a big difference, where nail Technology is concerend........
Ones you have updated, go mobile or work from home, or do both..........
You might find that you wont need a salon to employ you as you could be to busy for that!!!!!!!!!!!

But on the employment front........Do it right, get your portfolio together......
Write a short CV covering your skills and show off your Certificates.........add any pictures you may have done...........
If you havn't got any pictures, well do some great sets of nails and take pictures.....
Portfolios are under estimated but I find them so important...........
Think of it as going for the best job in the world, and that means being fully prepared.......
As it is in my view THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD
So good luck and go and get em girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back