Help, therapist allergic reaction to nail products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipajo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any advice.
I have been experiencing painful nail separation (almost disintegration of my hyponichiums) on both thumb nails and now other fingers too aswell as some contact dermatitis to my knuckles.
I have narrowed it down to the CND shellac procedure most likely the acetone due to certain things;
* I have increased my exposure to these products tenfold (only used to do massage facials in a spa and occasional nails and now I own a salon doing predominately nails
* the doctor does not think it is any form of infection
* when I removed myself from the products it has cleared up almost instantly
* I have since been wearing gloves when providing nail treatments in particular soak offs and was distressed to find the acetone burnt through the latex and still burnt my skin (which literally feels like it's burning away my hyponichiums so I have to rush and wash my hands, and also begs the question that If it is burning through gloves what is it doing to our skin!

Can anyone help? I feel like I may have overexposed myself to this product over the years (been a nail tech for ten years) and now caused my self to be allergic and if I can't find a way will need to stop doing nails (something I love) and perhaps sell my shiny new salon or leave the industry sob!

Thanks xx

Doug schoon suggests nitrile gloves and to avoid latex. Try good quality plastic back pads as well

Yes, you have to use nitrile gloves. Latex allergies are very common so I wouldn't want to use them on clients anyway. As techs, we are using these products all day, several days a week for years, so naturally we need to be more careful. I definitely catch myself not being careful when I'm in a hurry.

Another vote for nitrile gloves. If you find you have a tendency to be sensitive to products, opt for the powder free, most wholesalers including S2 stock them xxx

Also when you use cuticle away do you usually rub it over the nail with your fingers / thumb ? Make sure you distribute it with an implement instead, so the cuticle away doesnt react on your fingers.

If you feel acetone is problematic too use nourishing remover instead but if you are still reacting when using a hypoallergenic product like Shellac you may have to consider giving up those types of treatments.

I developed an allergy to my nail products towards the end of last year due to over exposure. I had terrible dermatitis all over my hands which resulted in onycholysis of my finger nails.
Since then I have been really careful about exposing myself to the products, using nitrate gloves and even doubling up on the gloves if having to use latex. Rinsing my hands mid treatment. I also used E45 religiously.
The oncholysis is still there but not as bad but the itchy rash on my hands has totally healed.
Don't give up...you just have to get used to a different way of working.

I always wear nitrile gloves now.

I developed an allergy to l&p a few years ago, so stopped offering that product and started wearing gloves straight away.

I am very careful now as I do not want any allergy to progress to include gel or shellac or any other product.

You can ask your GP to refer you to a consultant dermatologist because the allergy is affecting your ability to ear a living.

My GP is brilliant and referred me for an urgent appt. I saw a consultant and following extensive tests, discovered I had become allergic to acrylate based substances found in all acrylic nails and Gel nails inc. Shellac.

I tried using double layered gloves, barrier creams but the allergy simply got worse so I've had to give up and sell all my Gelish & Gelcolour kits and just stick to applying polish to my own nails now.

My consultant advised that due to increasing popularity of these products, allergic reactions are becoming far more common.

I hope yours can be solved by wearing nitrile gloves. x

Latest posts

Back