Help! Think I may have made a mistake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie2007

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a relative newbie to the nail industry and have invested in the Shellac power polish, but I have just heard back from someone whose nails I done last week before she went on her hols and her nail colour only lasted a couple of days on her finger nails before it started chipping (she said it is still ok on her toes so they have lasted the week) she went into a salon in Tenerife and they said they do not use Shellac over there as a lot of people complain that it doesnt last ! I'm so disappointed and worried that I have invested a lot of money into something and it is not going to be any good ! I followed everything through for the prep work and my lamp is new all equipment is CND I'm so upset ! Please any advice would really help me. Angie xx

Last edited:
Angie, calm down, Shellac is a fab product, you have not made the wrong decision! It has a LOT of fans and you'll find you get enquiries asking for the product by name, sometimes even the colour by name!

The thing is, it is as good as the nail underneath. If the nails are really thin and bendy or damaged after bad acrylics or picking off, then it is likely the Shellac won't last the said 14 days. At least this is what I find. On average nails, it does last 14 days or thereabouts. Strong healthy nails I am finding can last 3, 4, even 5 weeks . . . . so DON'T WORRY!!

Toes are much thicker than fingernails plus they don't DO anything except sit there so it will last very well.

If a client has really weak and bendy nails I either advise them to have manicures until they have grown up and returned to optimum health or if they are insistant and I think they will just go somewhere else, I will do a little lick of l&p, very thin, along the top half of the nail including the free edge, and this does the trick perfectly . . . but I do insist on them keeping the nails very short if we do this.

Hope this helps a bit. I can completely understand your line of thinking, it's a big investment and you could see it all crumbling round your ears . . . but I promise, it won't, and you won't regret doing Shellac xx

Angie - Don't panic!
I have been using Shellac since 1 May 2010 and it is an amazing product.
Your client 'may' have done something to her nails to allow them to chip but, she might not say.
The only time I ever have issues with clients is when they read the After Care handout I give them and then ignore it! eg Bleaching cleaning cloths in a bucket with no gloves!
Make an appointment to see her as soon as you can, to assess what has happened.

Hi, I'm a relative newbie to the nail industry and have invested in the Shellac power polish, but I have just heard back from someone whose nails I done last week before she went on her hols and her nail colour only lasted a couple of days on her finger nails before it started chipping (she said it is still ok on her toes so they have lasted the week) she went into a salon in Tenerife and they said they do not use Shellac over there as a lot of people complain that it doesnt last ! I'm so disappointed and worried that I have invested a lot of money into something and it is not going to be any good ! I followed everything through for the prep work and my lamp is new all equipment is CND I'm so upset ! Please any advice would really help me. Angie xx

Have you taken the shellac class so that you can make sure that you are doing everything correctly?
Also did she use insect repellent or suncream on holiday containing DEET? This will destroy shellac and normal polish when it comes into contact with it.
Did she wash her hands in fresh water everytime she got out of the pool? chlorine is a bleach and the sun intensifies the bleaching action which can lead to breakdown of the product.
All this aftrecare advise would have been given to you to pass on had you attended a Shellac class.
Get her in and ask these questions and then invest on booking yourself on a class if you haven't done one already.
Jen xx

Last edited:
I dont use Shellac I use Gelish but when I first started I used it on friends and family only and they used to get chips within a few days, I used to get so frustrated but since I did the course and know exactly what im doing they get a lot longer out of it now.

From what ive read on here and heard, Shellac is an amazing product, I think you need to give yourself time and if you havnt done so already then do the course, you are new to the product so dont give up before you have even started x

I use OPI Gelcolor... Anyways...

You will always get the odd person whos nails won't last the 2 weeks. It doesn't just fall off tho.

She went on holiday and I guess used sun cream. This would have affect it. Sun cream contains something called DEET that can mess up the gel polish.

Did you Give her an aftercare?
X

She went on holiday and I guess used sun cream. This would have affect it. Sun cream contains something called DEET that can mess up the gel polish.

Did you Give her an aftercare?
X
Sorry just need to correct you here. DEET is found in insect repellents mainly and only in some suncream that contains insect repellent.
You clients should try to avoid using these products but not sun protection, just purchase suncreams not containing insect repellent and should always wash their hands afterwards.
Jen x

I would just like to say thank you to people that replied to me yesterday. I was in the middle of a major panic and after reading replies, I felt so much better. Im so glad Salon Geek is here for support and grateful for all the knowledge you all share. Thanks everyone, have a great bank holiday!! Angie xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back