Help to ban MMA in Nail Industry - UPDATED

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just signed 821st signature!

It's brilliant that people are still signing it, I only found it yesterday and there's already 20 more signatures on it since I did it, does anybody know how many signatures will be needed or what the progress is with it? xx

signed, sealed and delivered.

You got my vote! :hug:

Hi all,

I know there are a million and one threads on this topic, mostly stale :cry:

I know there is a petition going which people can still sign, I checked today and there are 823 signatures

(it's at Petition To Ban The Use Of Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) In The UK Petition should anyone who hasn't already signed it want to)

I didn't start the petition but want to get everybody aware of it as it's a start. I have contacted Rachel who started the petition, I assume many of you will know her?

It's been suggested to me to put together some sort of report to be given to MP or sent directly to downing street in conjunction with the petition and I would really like people to get involved as a collective effort will mean a lot more than several single attempts.

I know that many people have tried to get this banned for a LONG time but everyone must hit a brick wall somewhere along the line as it's still being used. There MUST be something the entire community can do if we put our heads and knowledge together.

I'm basically looking for replies to see if anyone wants to help, I know it will be a long winded process but I'm determined to do this, and would rather not do it alone.

ANYBODY???

Kate x

I'm afraid that nothing has happened in the 2 years this has been going.

I have it on very good authority that this is NOT going to happen any time soon! Banning an ingredient takes a vast amount of time and money and there are many. many other things that are way further up the list.

it really isn't worth all the time and effort in trying to make this happen as the chances are virtually nil. This doesn't meant to say it isn't worth it. What is worth is spending more time in education! Of technicians, clients and local press (when appropriate! It is sometimes not worth drawing local press attention to a negative!!)

In addition, Doug Schoon has written quite a lot about the subject and has said that banning of MMA in the US has not actually helped the situation and that education is the key

Then how do we go about the education angle? Other than each of us writing to our local newspaper with the same thing and hoping all clients read it :cry: I feel like I'm going to be fighting a losing battle with this, I'm only just starting out on my own and already it seems to be a waste of time as everyone's view is, 'those nails last forever and don't break' no matter how many times I explain about them until I'm quite literally blue in the face

Feel so annoyed about it :( There must be something we can do collectively to educate the masses so they don't WANT this cr*p on their nails??

Kate x

Then how do we go about the education angle? Other than each of us writing to our local newspaper with the same thing and hoping all clients read it :cry: I feel like I'm going to be fighting a losing battle with this, I'm only just starting out on my own and already it seems to be a waste of time as everyone's view is, 'those nails last forever and don't break' no matter how many times I explain about them until I'm quite literally blue in the face

Feel so annoyed about it :( There must be something we can do collectively to educate the masses so they don't WANT this cr*p on their nails??

Kate x

There are LOADS of threads on here from people with the same frustrations as you. Have a look as many have some very good suggestions.

Unfortunately it isn't going to change and there are many many businesses who have managed to be very successful in spite of the problem. This isn't a defeatist attitude but the argument has been raging on for years so it really is a case of getting on with it

how many signitures does it need before taking it to the government?

Just noticed this thread, which is a very good idea. However, it's been around a long while now. When will the petition be taken to the government? Anyone know?

I've signed it! :)

There is really no point in bumping this thread up yet again and you all getting excited about it! It is getting on for 3 years old. The original project (taken on by an MP) has been abandoned.

I have explained on here many times what the situation is. MMA is considered 'inappropriate' for use on nails. It is not considered 'dangerous'! If there is any possibility that it is on the list of cosmetic ingredients that are 'banned' it is way, way down the list. Ingredients that are potentially 'life threatening', carcinogenic' or the, so called, 'gender benders' are far more important.

Doug Schoon has said many times that the banning of it in the US has not helped at all and, if anything, made the situation. At a meeting with representatives from most of the Local Authority Environmental Health Depts a couple of years ago (when the HSE were conducting research projects into nail salons) they said they are all aware of it but can do nothing. Even if it were to be banned they do not have the resources to police it.

Remember: it is NOT dangerous and is no more hazardous than EMA. It is just inappropriate for nails. The main gripe from the industry is one based on commercials and no one is going to listen to that!

Can we get over it and move on

signed and posted onto facebook to make others aware of this.I have seen to many damaged nail plates over the years to let this ride

is this petition still "live"/"active".....
if so i wanted to bump this thread up for those geeks that havent seen or had chance to sign it

is this petition still "live"/"active".....
if so i wanted to bump this thread up for those geeks that havent seen or had chance to sign it

I'm glad that you've put it back to the top as I hadn't seen it and I don't think we should give up that easily. As said earlier it may not be dangerous generally but it is on nails and I, too, have seen to many wrecked nails and even much more serious conditions caused by it. Definitely signing it! Mind you, I'm a bit confused as the question says "Do You Want To Ban MMA In The UK?" and when I look at all the signatures they say "No" but they mean "yes". Am I missing something here? :confused:

Latest posts

Back