HELP!! WANNA CRY! CAN'T GET L&P NAILS RIGHT!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails at Home

Reaction score
Hiya guys - you may remember me asking for advice regarding L&P in the last few weeks - I did my creative foundation course recently after doing and getting along with Bio Sculpture gel for so long but certain clients need more strenghth.

Anyway, I've done acrylics a few times now and I've even put them on myself for the first time although in a week have got a little chipping on the edges of half of them (my natural nails by the way) - but not mega noticeable cos they're really thin. Anyway, apart from one friend who I've done them on who has got on OK with them anyone else (and luckily not full paying customers yet!) have had problems with them chipping and pinging off all over the place - it's actually only 3 people, my daughter, friend and mum (thank god!). The most depressing story is my mum just called me this morning after I did a full set on her on Saturday. She said by Sunday she woke up and her little nail had come off in bed - by today she's lost another little nail and I think she said 2 of the others have started breaking off!

I've been really really careful to get my ratios right cos apparently I was working too wet before and when I finished my mums nails Saturday I was really proud and thought I'd mastered it at last!!

I've called technical advice at Creative and someone will be getting back to me but I'm beginning to give up all hope of ever being able to do L&P! I feel totally useless at it now :(

If there's anyone at all who can help and maybe even call me I'd be sooooooo grateful - my number's 07944 040905 - please, if anyone at all can assist I'd be so happy!!

Thanks again from a VERY desperate L&P user!!

Luv Michelle x

L&P is the hardest one to master, so don't beat yourself up over it. Its especially hard when learning to use it as a natural nail overlay, i too had the same problems when doing overlays. You do need to work a little thicker than you would when applying tips, and you need to make sure the product goes over the free edge or when it cures, it shrinks and then comes away. You may need to do extra prep work on your mum as if she has oily nail plates, this won't help with lifting either. I was taught to prep both hands, all ten nails each time, but have found its better to do one hand at a time otherwise they wont be as good by the time you get to thw other hand as oil has been produced so causing lift.

You cannot tell this just by looking, so don't even try. If i can help any more feel free to PM me. You just need to do very stringent prep, and make sure its a good layer of L&P, and cap the free edge. Hope this helps.

Hiya , can you tell us where abouts in the country are you there is no info in your profile?

Reason being I can recommend to tutors to help you if necessary but it could be to far for your to travel...

Thanks for your help - I've spoken to my mum since putting in this post - the symptoms are actually the nail tips breaking off - she had tips and not natural overlays (although I am still trying to master that too so thanks again for advice)! Think I've got my prep OK as she says there's no sign of lifting on any of the nails - it's just the tips pinging off and leaving the rest of the L&P on the nail! I know that on my courses we were taught to get rid of most of the well area as "the strength is in the overlay and not the tip!". I'm beginning to think I've been getting rid of too much of the well and there's not enough to hold???? What do you think?

Anyway, I've told her to come over this evening and I'm going to redo the 4 nails that have broken concentrating more on my tip application! We'll see how she gets on after that!

I'm in North London by the way so if there are any techs out there that could help I'd luv ya for it!!! ;)

Thanks again
Michelle x

Nails at Home said:
Thanks for your help - I've spoken to my mum since putting in this post - the symptoms are actually the nail tips breaking off - she had tips and not natural overlays (although I am still trying to master that too so thanks again for advice)! Think I've got my prep OK as she says there's no sign of lifting on any of the nails - it's just the tips pinging off and leaving the rest of the L&P on the nail! I know that on my courses we were taught to get rid of most of the well area as "the strength is in the overlay and not the tip!". I'm beginning to think I've been getting rid of too much of the well and there's not enough to hold???? What do you think?

Anyway, I've told her to come over this evening and I'm going to redo the 4 nails that have broken concentrating more on my tip application! We'll see how she gets on after that!

I'm in North London by the way so if there are any techs out there that could help I'd luv ya for it!!! ;)

Thanks again
Michelle x
Michelle love where in north london? i live in barnet which is on edge of north london - can help if you want it! send me a pm if you like!!

Nails at Home said:

Thanks again
Michelle x
Michelle I do an absolute slither on my tips as you rightly say its the overlay thats the stength, do you build your apex enough, just a thought...hope you solve your problems...maybe you could go to the nearest geek mtg to you for some moral support and advice...

maybe you are not building your stress area thick enough. raise it a little more and it should reinforce the part where the tip is glued on.
Nails at Home said:

Thanks again
Michelle x

Stress area does seem to be the key here ... balance is important. Zone one thin, zone 2 thicker, zone 3 thin.

My advise is talk to your tutor. Go back to the source. One of the most confusing things you can do right now it talk to other nail technicians who may not have very much experience themselves, about a system they do not use.

Nails that ping off (break) are nails that are too thin, or unbalanced, or too long for the client, or not adhered well in the first palce, or a combination.
Your tutor wants you to get it right.

Help is available from where you did your training ... I would use it.

Thanks everyone - I've taken it into account and re-did my mum's 4 broken nails last night and tried to get the zone 2 thicker - we've just got to wait and see what happens now - she did tell me one other nail broke again today but luckily it wasn't one of the new ones otherwise I would be at a loss to know what I'm doing wrong! Time will now tell!

Thanks again for all your help and fingers crossed I've found the cause !!!

Love Michelle x

Latest posts

Back