Help wanted! Nail course decisions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with this is the standard of college education varies so much depending on your tutor. We see examples every day on this site of people who have come away from college having 'passed' their course but feeling sadly lacking in knowledge. There are also geeks at the moment having to use factually incorrect information to pass their college course......

At least with Creative you are getting education of a standard, taught in a standardised way and don't come out of their Foundation course feeling that you need to take another course straight away...... What's wrong with endorsing a product? Surely someone who knows the product inside out will be able to teach you better than someone who is less familiar with the intricacies of it? At trade shows you have that brand expert to show you how it works - what's the difference?

If you go with a well-known brand rather than some independant academy you will get decent education. How people learn is an individual thing.

I was very fortunate to have a great college tutor and we focused on nails for some time. We used basic products and were taught the principles of treatments.

After gaining further experience in a salon armed with my qualifications I was able to use any brand I wanted. I think it is important to gain as much exprience as possible before setting out on your own..someone elses mistakes can be your gain after all.

My reference to the trade shows is that there are a number of different companies all under one roof so you can directly talk to each one and try the products and se for yourself rather than speaking to someone at the end of a telephone and looking at a brochure.

My other question is that eventually it will become compulsory that all nail techs have a general recognised qualification..i.e VTCT, City and guilds, babtec etc, just like beauty therapists have to. If you are just trained with a specific company what will you do? In my opinion it is better to start this way than have to pay out at a later date.

I do appreciate what you are saying regarding some colleges not being great, but just beacause you thought a CND course was fab doesn't mean everyone else will. Maybe it would not hurt to speak to some current students at the local college and see what they think - or someone who has previously trained there. Everyones experiences are different though. I just don't understand how you can learn nails in 5 days!!

Whichever training you decide to go with, make sure it's the right one for you ... that's where Sassy's guide to choosing the right training comes in.

Good luck.

Hhhhhmm. I'm trying to take this all in. I've just spoken to a lady at the new CND number. She said the foundation course is over 5 consecutive days. The VTCT course at Brentwood Academy is 1 day a week over 15 weeks. Surely it's better to do it over a longer period of time to have time to practice under guidance? They use creative acrylic and calgel.

I was very fortunate to have a great college tutor and we focused on nails for some time. We used basic products and were taught the principles of treatments.

After gaining further experience in a salon armed with my qualifications I was able to use any brand I wanted. I think it is important to gain as much exprience as possible before setting out on your own..someone elses mistakes can be your gain after all.

My reference to the trade shows is that there are a number of different companies all under one roof so you can directly talk to each one and try the products and se for yourself rather than speaking to someone at the end of a telephone and looking at a brochure.

My other question is that eventually it will become compulsory that all nail techs have a general recognised qualification..i.e VTCT, City and guilds, babtec etc, just like beauty therapists have to. If you are just trained with a specific company what will you do? In my opinion it is better to start this way than have to pay out at a later date.

I do appreciate what you are saying regarding some colleges not being great, but just beacause you thought a CND course was fab doesn't mean everyone else will. Maybe it would not hurt to speak to some current students at the local college and see what they think - or someone who has previously trained there. Everyones experiences are different though. I just don't understand how you can learn nails in 5 days!!

I appreciate your comment about the compulsory qualification - don't know where I would stand! Also, I tried hard not to tar all colleges with the same brush - but standards vary hugely.

The CND Foundation course is 5 days - but those 5 days are spread over a month or so and there is loads of reading, practising and revising to do at home. When I did mine we had Nail Trainers to work on in the evening and nails to submit from that homework. Theory was gone through and questions answered but there was more studying to do at home as well. The course ran in a logical order and with the focus being on one system it was intense but also thorough....... I did my foundation in L+P and added gel on 18 months later when I felt I had enough skill to widen my repertoire a bit.

Tbh, I haven't used any other company's product but I'm not having problems so have never felt the need..... At the end of the day it's horses for courses (!) - I would have really struggled to do a year at college (I was working full-time nad have 2 children), a shorter course suited me. Having breaks in between the days meant I could ask questions as & when the issue came up for me and I didn't feel alone after I'd passed. I truely believe the CND Foundation is a different kettle of fish to other short courses that cram in L+P, gel, silk and natural nail care into 2/3/4 days......

I can only offer the benefit of my experience which with CND was a good one. Too many people join this site and then realise their first training experience was not what they wanted it to be...... I'm not college education at all, just offering another perspective :)

Hhhhhmm. I'm trying to take this all in. I've just spoken to a lady at the new CND number. She said the foundation course is over 5 consecutive days. The VTCT course at Brentwood Academy is 1 day a week over 15 weeks. Surely it's better to do it over a longer period of time to have time to practice under guidance? They use creative acrylic and calgel.
...Well all i can comment on that is that i did my nvq over 8 months at college and learnt NOTHING...but i know the standards have raised there since i left.

The classes were HUGE,aswell,about 25 people:eek:...where was the one to one with that??

At least with a reputable brand the classes are no bigger than 8,and with CND its 6.....i know what my options would be:)

Hi, I did my initial training with Hayden...the lady who runs it is called Wendy, based in Quedgley? I did training in all 3 systems with her, I found it very good and a great introduction to nails. She never lost patience when I messed a few things up. I did a weeks training with her. I was taught using star nails and other products, she didnt endorse anyones products at all.

All I will say is that as I am now looking for a system to use being salon based and of course I will have to pay(unless free training in the initial kit outlay) to learn that system and that is the dilema I have at the moment who to go with

Hi, I did my initial training with Hayden...the lady who runs it is called Wendy, based in Quedgley?

Yep that's the lady who i have been in contact with, and who has sent out the prospectus.

I did training in all 3 systems with her, I found it very good and a great introduction to nails. She never lost patience when I messed a few things up. I did a weeks training with her. I was taught using star nails and other products, she didnt endorse anyones products at all.

All I will say is that as I am now looking for a system to use being salon based and of course I will have to pay(unless free training in the initial kit outlay) to learn that system and that is the dilema I have at the moment who to go with

Did you feel you learn't enough, was it too much info in a short space of time? Do you feel confident enough to go out and work as a nail tech now? just asking as HHBTA is the closest to me and would save a lot of money if i don't have to travel miles to get to a training point.

My nearest CND trainer is down in Bristol, Amanda Fontanarrosa obviously does not do foundation courses, otherwise that would have been ideal as she is only down the road, 20 minutes away.

Well it's all food for thought :green:

My nearest CND trainer is down in Bristol, Amanda Fontanarrosa obviously does not do foundation courses, otherwise that would have been ideal as she is only down the road, 20 minutes away.

That's very strange :eek:

That's very strange :eek:

She was incredibly helpful, gave me the number for head office. Said i would be better dicussing it with them first, also put me onto another girl in Birmingham.

Well it's all food for thought :green:

Hi,

I live in Bristol and did my Nail Services VTCT at the Bristol Health & Beauty College in Clifton over 9 months. I now have a qualification which will get me my Babtac insurance. However, it is true that all colleges differ in their teaching. I did nail anatomy and physiology, manicure, pedicure (including treatments) and all 3 enhancement systems including nail art, but now I have the choice to "convert" with any product I wish which is great. It's just that there are some really good ones that nail techs use on here and it's difficult to choose!! lol :) So, for me I guess it was the right way, but it's not everyone's choice.

:hug:

Forgot to ask, where in Bristol is the CND educator? I know that the lady who was doing training at Redwood Lodge had had an operation and wasn't working. Maybe she's back? There is also an EzFlow educator in Bristol, she's on this site. Hth's

:hug:

I thought Katrina Kneebone covered our area (gloucestershire), you have to be a bit careful at the mo what with all the problems a few months ago.

It may be worthwhile for you to spend time reading a few threads on here about Creative as there has been so many threads recently. Only at the end of last week I rang a number and was told a certain person was offering Creative Training....they may have been offering it however the qualification at the end would have been useless!

Like I said I had done training with Wendy early last year, I thoroughly enjoyed it as an introduction to nail enhancements. I did not learn any particular system just the general methods with tip appication, L&P, gel and fibreglass.

I am now researching different nail systems and hopefully I will be learning one of them in the near future and become a competant Nail Tech over time.

I donot offer Nail Enhancements and wouldnt do them as I am no where near competent, however I do practice on my Nail Trainer and I managed to apply one hand in 1.5 hrs:lol:with a french polish...he he and guess what geeks....there is NO LIFTING....:)

Teresax

Hi, there is an EzFlow Academy in Bristol, PM me if you need any further information.

I did my initial nail course (back in the day) at my local college, as some of you are now, I guess I was one of the lucky ones, with a fab tutor....the course was VTCT Certificate in Manicure and also Diploma in Advanced Nail Techniques, the course was part time 3 hours per week for 20 weeks, so that's a total of 60 hours class room tuition, with a class of 15-20 students, a few dropped out after a few weeks.....this isn't against the norm for local FE's. We had home work and a portfolio to produce along with assessments.....all included in college time, the assessments that is.

Compare..... to a 5 day professional brand (not the independant ones which have been spoken about, 4 days in a row....competent in all systems ha!) course......probably about 35 hours in the class room (for one system) with a much smaller student/teacher ratio....home work, studies and still a portfolio to build, which can be taken forward to your NVQ.

Where is this going? I don't know lol....can we educate our local colleges, I hope so, to get passionate teachers teaching for the National Standard (nvq) or does it all go out the window cos they don't give a damn about nails?

Where is this going? I don't know lol....can we educate our local colleges, I hope so, to get passionate teachers teaching for the National Standard (nvq) or does it all go out the window cos they don't give a damn about nails?

I think its like all teachers. it's a badly paid job. Why go work in a college when you can earn more doing it elsewhere. Not that I'm putting down College teachers. I just don't think you are going to get the quality you are going to get with a private place. Its a bit like the NHS and BUPA i suppose.

Just my tuppence worth, don't flame me:green:

I did all of my VTCTs at college to begin with.
I assumed that college would be the best way to go and at the time I had a small child and could go one night a week and work on all my assignments at home...
The idea was good until I did my enhancement training which unfortunately left a little to be desired, to say the very least.
Not all VTCTs are this way...I know of some people who got EXCELLENT training this way but I did have to take many more courses in order to be as good as I wanted to be.
Local colleges need to stop employing people that they think can do the job and employ people with the necessary skills and qualifications.
My tutor at college was a hairdresser with a love of nail art for enhancement training.
That worked wonderfully for my nail art course... but not for enhancement training obviously.
My tutor for manis and pedis again was wonderful, I still see her at shows and she is obviously very dedicated.
Local colleges are most definately a bit of a joke in some areas.

I think its like all teachers. it's a badly paid job. Why go work in a college when you can earn more doing it elsewhere. Not that I'm putting down College teachers. I just don't think you are going to get the quality you are going to get with a private place. Its a bit like the NHS and BUPA i suppose.

Just my tuppence worth, don't flame me:green:
tbh I thnk if they get the right tutor they will pay....the pay scales go pretty high....and school teachers always cry that they are badly paid.....what with all those holidays....I have a secondary school teacher as a client and her basic is £45k per year.....don't tell her I told ya! Now that's not poorly paid imo!

tbh I thnk if they get the right tutor they will pay....the pay scales go pretty high....and school teachers always cry that they are badly paid.....what with all those holidays....I have a secondary school teacher as a client and her basic is £45k per year.....don't tell her I told ya! Now that's not poorly paid imo!

I'd do it with a passion tbh!! :lol:

I have a secondary school teacher as a client and her basic is £45k per year.....don't tell her I told ya! Now that's not poorly paid imo!

Don't think i'll ever say they were again after that little bit of info.:eek::green:

I did all of my VTCTs at college to begin with.
I assumed that college would be the best way to go and at the time I had a small child and could go one night a week and work on all my assignments at home...
The idea was good until I did my enhancement training which unfortunately left a little to be desired, to say the very least.
Not all VTCTs are this way...I know of some people who got EXCELLENT training this way but I did have to take many more courses in order to be as good as I wanted to be.
Local colleges need to stop employing people that they think can do the job and employ people with the necessary skills and qualifications.
My tutor at college was a hairdresser with a love of nail art for enhancement training.
That worked wonderfully for my nail art course... but not for enhancement training obviously.
My tutor for manis and pedis again was wonderful, I still see her at shows and she is obviously very dedicated.
Local colleges are most definately a bit of a joke in some areas.

It seems to me that the college system is a bit hit and miss, with regard to training. LUck of the draw. TBH i really don't want my training to be down to luck. I'm edging more and more to private tutition.

Latest posts

Back