Help wanted! Nail course decisions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel the need to add my bit here.

I am doing the college route. when i first came on this site i thought i had made a bad choice. But Now i dont. This is my personal opinion by the way. My course covers: salon conduct, chemicals, nail disorders, skin disorders, chemical dangers, anatomy & physiology, nail anatomy, client consultation, preperation and hygiene, manicure, pedicure, male manicure, applying tips, L&P overlay&sculpt, gel overlay&sculpt, wrap overlay, nail art, health and safety. Might have missed some but basically it. It has been hit and miss. some of the things ive been taught are outdated, but thanks to this site i know the correct way. But im still glad im doing the course, im NOT learning a product im learning how to be a nail technician first and formost. when completed then i can make my own mind up what product i use and extra courses i do but at least i have the basis that are un biased and neutral. Yes it is a bit hit and miss, but i believe if you are serious about being a nail tech then you will research and ask off your own back and be the best. Not that i am knocking other peoples choices, THis is MY opinion and its working for me. Hope that Helps, xxx

Feel the need to add my bit here.

I am doing the college route. when i first came on this site i thought i had made a bad choice. But Now i dont. This is my personal opinion by the way. My course covers: salon conduct, chemicals, nail disorders, skin disorders, chemical dangers, anatomy & physiology, nail anatomy, client consultation, preperation and hygiene, manicure, pedicure, male manicure, applying tips, L&P overlay&sculpt, gel overlay&sculpt, wrap overlay, nail art, health and safety. Might have missed some but basically it. It has been hit and miss. some of the things ive been taught are outdated, but thanks to this site i know the correct way. But im still glad im doing the course, im NOT learning a product im learning how to be a nail technician first and formost. when completed then i can make my own mind up what product i use and extra courses i do but at least i have the basis that are un biased and neutral. Yes it is a bit hit and miss, but i believe if you are serious about being a nail tech then you will research and ask off your own back and be the best. Not that i am knocking other peoples choices, THis is MY opinion and its working for me. Hope that Helps, xxx

Totally agree with you....exactly what I was trying to say early on in this thread but probably came out wrong!!

My college was great but did have a couple of off days maybe when staff were off and we have supply teachers in. I also had to put in alot of extra practice. Practice practice practice. At the end of the day I was motivated enough to ask questions and continue my learning outside of college because I wanted to be the best.

I also think that Nails are something you can either do or you can't. Its very easy to blame product and training but at the end of the day if you haven't got a natural talent then you are wasting your time. Nails are an art. For some people they require hours of dedication and determination and still don't look quite right...for others who possess a natural skill or flare it comes very easily.

if we are talking abt colleges verses private comapny training... i did my nvq at college and it was fab for my underpinning knowledge H&S etc...
but on the practical side.. ....my tutor was okay
Having since found a good brand to use and following their education program i have learned far more about enhancement structure, (how a nail is meant to look ...im nt talking abt nat nail structure).. product placement, decent filing techniques etc. etc. I also feel i got more one to one attention as they are only small classes compared with 10 or more students all trying to get the tutors attention

on a teaching note... for me i like to have a smaller class... i like to give my students my time and id hate for any student to walk away from a class feeling like they didnt learn all they could from me and didnt get my attention when they needed me

Jess
xox

Totally agree with you....exactly what I was trying to say early on in this thread but probably came out wrong!!

My college was great but did have a couple of off days maybe when staff were off and we have supply teachers in. I also had to put in alot of extra practice. Practice practice practice. At the end of the day I was motivated enough to ask questions and continue my learning outside of college because I wanted to be the best.

I also think that Nails are something you can either do or you can't. Its very easy to blame product and training but at the end of the day if you haven't got a natural talent then you are wasting your time. Nails are an art. For some people they require hours of dedication and determination and still don't look quite right...for others who possess a natural skill or flare it comes very easily.

I totally agree with both of you. I went the college way which I believe is thorough. Yes, the teachers can be more interested in the beauty side and not passionate about nails, but at the end of the course you can choose whether it's for you or not and which product you want to convert to. I was in a class of 8 and I think I am probably the only one who wants to continue with nails. All the others have said it's probably not for them even though they have trained and got the qualification. :cry: So basically it's horses for courses, I guess.

As I said in my article everybody's way of learning is different. Some like the short sharp shock courses (that's me!), whereas others like to be cossetted and remain in a classroom environment for longer (I just igve up the will to live in this type of learning). So first and foremost decide which type of education suits you best before you even begin to decide where to train.

Then do your homework. As already said, get feedback from previous students and find out what they thought was good and bad.

Also remember that in a year at college you probably only spend a couple of hours each week for about 35 - 40 weeks which is about 80 hours and this covers manis. pedis and all 3 systems I believe.

Now look at a 5 day intense course where you spend maybe 30-35 hours covering one system in smaller classes, usually trained by people who have been in the profession a long time and know their stuff and have their knowledge base regularly updated.

Suddenly that 5 days doesn't seem so short changed does it?

Also, I think it is fair to say that when you leave college or a short foundation course you are not fully competent. I know we use this analogy a lot but you are not a fully competent driver for some time AFTER you have taken your test, and it's the same with any industry really.

Good luck in your choice, glad to see you are taking it seriously, you'll go far with such a great attitude :hug:

I think I've finally come to a decision:eek:

Thank you sooooo much all of you. Your answers and reasoning why, have been fab. Right here is what i have decided, take a deep breath...lol

Every single one of you that have been supporting the college road have all said it was lacking in places but you still learn't enough. Plus the course, from what i can make out, is about all aspects of beauty. Now I am only looking into being a nail tech not a beauty therapist. So after some though i feel that the college route is not for me. If i am paying a large amount of money for someone to train me, firstly i want it to be top notch and not lacking anywhere, for whatever reason. Also i want training in nails not all aspects of beauty treatments.

So that leaves the intensive courses. I've asked several of the various nail educators from different companies (on here) to send me there information sheets on training, as the next step is to be which one. I'm going to go and get my nails done by these girls, to see for myself how good each system is. I know i won't know which one I'm going to get on with best, but feel i will have a rough idea after seeing it applyed. Does that make sense? My reasoning behind this is that I've only ever seen Bio Sculpture applyed and so all the other systems mentioned on here are alien to me.

The two coming up tops at the mo are EzFlow and CND. Both their foundation training courses sound good and they both seem to have a good reputation on here. That is not set in stone and I'm open to other academys too. Just need to do some more research.

So there you have it. Thanks again to each and everyone of you in helping me make my choices. I knew it was the right thing to do asking you lot:hug:

The two coming up tops at the mo are EzFlow and CND. Both their foundation training courses sound good and they both seem to have a good reputation on here.
Most definitely :D

I personally think you've made a good choice and won't go wrong with either company.

Your welcome and good luck:)

Also, I think it is fair to say that when you leave college or a short foundation course you are not fully competent. I know we use this analogy a lot but you are not a fully competent driver for some time AFTER you have taken your test, and it's the same with any industry really.

Glad you said that, because thats been playing on my mind. I had this belief that once you passed you were 100% and so confident where as i know i wont be. It has been really playing on my mind. Because at the moment i feel a bit incompetant. Realise that confidence comes with time and i wont finish course being super confident and super quick. Thanks, that has put one worry to rest!:hug: now for the 9,999,999 other worrys . :wink2: xx

Latest posts

Back