Help! What is wrong with my nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxy67

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I used to have Gelish on my nails and have now switched to Shellac. Since using Gelish they have gone funny, ie, lots of white spots on top of nails. I then decided to change to Shellac, and although better they still have the same with spots. What can this be? Help please.
Tried to upload some pics, but can't do it.

As far as I am aware, white spots are caused mainly by small traumas to the nail. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this.......or not :) My mum used to tell us it was lack of calcium, but I am sure that was just to get us to drink more milk which I hate.
Could the buffing for the gel have been over zealous, maybe?

It could be signs of trauma as stated above. Also possible signs of dehydration - are you using a good quality cuticle oil every day?

I can put you mind at ease that it wont be the Gelish or Shellac and agree with naturalnails

It could be signs of trauma as stated above. Also possible signs of dehydration - are you using a good quality cuticle oil every day?
Thank you very much for the replies. I am sure it isn't trauma, probably dehydration. I will make sure to use the oil more than once a day and see if there is some improvement.

I read on a website the other day that the reasons for white spots on the nails is indeed down to possible trauma that then causes tiny air pockets between the nail plate layers... it is harmless and will grow out ... hurrah!

It is called "Leuconychia" and if you click this link, you can scroll down and find the article I read - just close your eyes when you come across the other nail condition pics... argh! :D

I read on a website the other day that the reasons for white spots on the nails is indeed down to possible trauma that then causes tiny air pockets between the nail plate layers... it is harmless and will grow out ... hurrah!

It is called "Leuconychia" and if you click this link, you can scroll down and find the article I read - just close your eyes when you come across the other nail condition pics... argh! :D

Hi GlamGlam, I don't think I have any of them, but would like to share the photos. Can I email them to you directly, as unfortunately it says that it can't upload.

Hi GlamGlam, I don't think I have any of them, but would like to share the photos. Can I email them to you directly, as unfortunately it says that it can't upload.

Yes I will dm you now... though I am sure you do not have any of those other conditions.. just the nail trauma bit which is in that long list of stuff at the bottom some where :) x

For everyones info, I have uploaded pics of the nail problem in question here as the original poster couldnt upload.

chicken | skitch.com

Hi there, how often to you remove your Shellac or Gelish? Do you oil them every day?

This is possibly "Pseudo Leukonychia", which is caused by nail dehydration. The layers of the nail are held together by natural oils, when these oils are stripped out of a nail, the layers take on a whitish speckled look.

The problem isn't the Gelish or the Shellac, but the lack of oiling them and the acetone soak offs.

Don't put any more Shellac or Gelish on them, but give them lots of TLC with a good nail oil like Solar oil, let the oil do its stuff and let it rehydrate the nail layers. Hot Oil manicures are brilliant for this. This will disappear withing a few days.

Once they are back to normal you can Shellac or Gelish your nails again, but don't forget to oil those baby's every day.

HTH xxx

Hi there, how often to you remove your Shellac or Gelish? Do you oil them every day?

This is possibly "Pseudo Leukonychia", which is caused by nail dehydration. The layers of the nail are held together by natural oils, when these oils are stripped out of a nail, the layers take on a whitish speckled look.

The problem isn't the Gelish or the Shellac, but the lack of oiling them and the acetone soak offs.

Don't put any more Shellac or Gelish on them, but give them lots of TLC with a good nail oil like Solar oil, let the oil do its stuff and let it rehydrate the nail layers. Hot Oil manicures are brilliant for this. This will disappear withing a few days.

Once they are back to normal you can Shellac or Gelish your nails again, but don't forget to oil those baby's every day.

HTH xxx

Thank you very much. I am using solar oil now, throughout the day. Hopefully, I should notice results by the end of the week.

Latest posts

Back